Modified LED lamping torches.

Dave-G

Dave-G wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits.

Roughcoat wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit......... payed thanks.

Nial wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... payed thanks

Fisheruk wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit ...........payed thanks

Loki wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... Cheque received thanks

Nobbybonez wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit ...........payed thanks

Telf wants 2 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... payed thanks

Jamiedenny wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit ???????????????????????????????????????

dave3p wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit ................ Payed thanks

Marky610 wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits. ............ payed thanks

Misfire wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits............... payed thanks

digit wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit .................. Payed thanks

Getafix wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit ................. payed thanks

A payment maybe lost in the post?

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have received the lens kits within the last hour, they were so well packaged it tookabout 20 minutes to open it lol.

Bearing in mind I have not had much time to explore them - here are my first impressions:

You may find your forward spacer ring slightly less than perfectly round - probably due to postal handling because they won't have come off the cnc machine that way. I'm being very fussy here because I have a digital vernier and do use it. They are neccessarily a very thin alumium ring - Mine still went in ok.

They are very focusable. I have not yet glued the spacer in and can't get the focus to stay sharp when I put the torch back together for the photo comparison. Suffice it to say that I can display clearer 'tram lines? and profile of the LED than with the DX lens and spacer - and the beam seems a little brighter. I'm sure once I fine tune the focus and glue the spacer in place it will improve.

Here's the photo's, the last has your lens/spacer sets at the rear corner of my breakfast bar. :) Without further ado then, as someone says on YouTube:

The cheap DX lens and spacer set beam shot at about 4 feet from my kitchen wall, daytime, kitchen light on, flash on.

DSCF0004.jpg

The same conditions with the ahorton kits, I can see the difference but the camera does'nt show much:

Ahortonlens0.jpg

With the flash turned off, the sets focus better than this prior to reassembling the torch:

Ahortonlens1.jpg

Boy did I get a wake up call at the post office. The packages are too large to pass through the 'large letter' slot so they had to go as a large packet at £3.55 each. :lol:

The sums then gents:

Group buy + insured express shipping:

382.47, customs 102.81, uk recorded post 40.15 =

.........................................£525.43

16 I have been paid for @30 each = £480

+ my two @cost £40.............. = £520

I have one that has yet to be paid for and Ash kindly sent me another in case of breakages.

If I sell the other two I will make a profit - I think my brother will probably buy them when he sees what they will do.

Make sure you use a very, very weak glue when attaching the spacer to the pill. It doesn't take much to hold it in place. It also doesn't take much to form a very strong and permanent bond. This would be unhelpful if you ever wanted to use the spacer in something else or upgrade the LED.

Make sure you use a very, very weak glue when attaching the spacer to the pill. It doesn't take much to hold it in place. It also doesn't take much to form a very strong and permanent bond. This would be unhelpful if you ever wanted to use the spacer in something else or upgrade the LED.

Thats a well timed reminder Ash thank you. I'm off to work before dark but I really am seeing the improvement this offers over the DX lens and reflector. I have just received another pair of the red cree Ultafires. Huh - one of them seems to have a mis shaped LED in it - with either aspheric producing an oblong beam.

Chalk and cheese anyone? Both at the best I can focus them.

DX setup on the left, Ahorton setup on the right.

I have decided to retain the two remaining sets for my own selfish use. :D

P60lenscomparison.jpg

Edited by Dave-G

Ditto ....cannot wait for mine as rabbits now techy.....

Dave if you wanted to sell, I'd take a second and convert my other torch as I have a white and a red light 501b. Also if you need a little more cash to cover cost please let me know am happy to assist and can drop you a fiver. Do not like to see helpful folk out of pocket especially when they are assisting me.

Cheers lads, Having got four for the net price of two I don't feel out of pocket, thanks for the offers though. I'm looking forwards to hearing how you get on with them. Rain permitting it will be Sunday night at the earliest before I get to try them.

Ever mindfull of the purpose of this um, shall we call it 'red light lamping' learning experience? I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who has both the DX and ahorton kits who can use them side by side. There is no doubt that the latter is very much better at getting more of the red spill into the centre of the beam.

Note though... the central beam of the basic torch appears yellow to us (look back to the ebay image in post one) and may be counter productive for short range use, say air rifles perhaps. I'm wondering if it might be prudent to slightly defocus the beam so that we are not losing too much of the red into the yellow. After all is said and done - red plus yellow makes orange. :hmm:

I have yet to use them in field conditions but it may well be that we have surpassed our rim fire needs and strayed into at least low centrefire range where the orange may be less of a problem. Go play tonight and find out please lads.

Edited by Dave-G

hi dave

kit arrived this morning safe and sound,just put it together and tried it in the house,great,will let you know how i get on with it if the bloody weather ever picks up.Quick question the tail switches on both red and green torches just seem to work when they want, any ideas,can i get tail switches to fit the torch over here?

once again thanks and atb

dave

hi dave

kit arrived this morning safe and sound,just put it together and tried it in the house,great,will let you know how i get on with it if the bloody weather ever picks up.Quick question the tail switches on both red and green torches just seem to work when they want, any ideas,can i get tail switches to fit the torch over here?

dave

HMM, not aware of any but I'm sure a few will look at the bay etc for one. There are four individual pressure switches on one side that 'pad and are sometimes difficult to find with the thumb, if you are finding this with both I suspect you might be pressing between them perhaps? It also may be that the wire has come loose from the tiny pcb. I've had that happen before with a shorter one which is another reason I linked to that particular ebay one as the lead wont be stretched as much.

Edited by Dave-G

hi dave

dave

I cut off the remote switch and fitted an on/off torpedo switch to the cable instead. Last thing you need is to be worrying about if you're squeezing that damned thing hard enough when trying to line up a shot.

Edited by sitsinhedges

I cut off the remote switch and fitted an on/off torpedo switch to the cable instead. Last thing you need is to be worrying about if you're squeezing that damned thing hard enough when trying to line up a shot.

link/photo perleeses :)

Ok, Googled torpedo thanks. Good point to discuss too. :good:

A point to be very aware of chaps is that this ahorton lens set up removes the heat escape path to the torch body. Whils I had both torches pointing at the wall this morning for the photo comparison only the DX one got warm on the outside. I don't say this as a critiscism towards the ahorton method because he has taken us beyond the capabilities of the DX offering. This extra ability should be used with caution then.

It's also worth looking at the issue with the DX method for non shooters - possibly why Ash made this method available. Many non shooters would carry the torch in their pocket, rattling around with coins, keys, pocket knife etc. That's more likely to result in scratches to the DX aspheric lens that sits way out in front of the bezel. A heat path fix for us is very doo-able - a shorter front spacer will allow that thin threaded lens retainer to be re-used - which restores the heatpath to the torch body. We won't be likely to be scratching our lenses while the torch is fixed on the rifle.

One of the points I made early in this thread was to the merits of the pressure switch. Yes, it's needing a tad of effort to activate the torch, but it's only going to be in use for a few seconds at a time as we set up and execute :oops: the shot.

Edited by Dave-G

Yes - come on you lot, waiting with bated breath here.

I'll be out with mine tonight but since I would appear to be blowing my own trumpet I'm not going to tell you how I get on in the field. :P

The best I have yet is that when I got in from work at about 3AM this morning I lit up the furtherest house I can see out the back, set back beyond the street light bathed patch at about 120 yards. I was surprised to see that there was still plenty of red in the beam so it looks like the 'yellow' centre beam might be a close up aspect.