Magnet confuses me....

Kikkan

Hello guys!

Just wanted to make a post about the last 3 pigeon hunts I have done.

I made a post earlier about me trying the magnet in my garden just for fun, and the pigeons came like there was no tomorrow. I thought that this was the "bomb" and could almost not wait until I could test it on a real hunt.

Here in Norway you can not hunt pigeons before the 21st August, but after talking to the farmer, and he had some problems with pigeons eating hea's cauliflower (that he also have) witch is beside a wheat field, he gave me permission to hunt them.

When I arrived, I could not see any pigeons eating on the cauliflower field, so I set up on the wheat field because the cauliflower field is too small to decoy over (some houses and a greenhouse close by)

I set up my magnet and some decoys near some lying wheat.

I was out for maybe 6-7 hours each time (tried 3 days) and the pigeons seem spooked by the magnet.

I can’t understand why this happens!?

I mean it worked in my garden back home when I was testing it just for fun!

I shoot some pigeons, but that is just because after 6-7 hours you are sure that some pigeons would just fly by.

And I must say, my shooting have improved ALLOT from last year since I have shoot about 150 shoots on the clay-shooting field each week since February. Missed 1 pigeon that flew by (shoot 8 pigeons all inn all) in 3 days. :welcomeani:

My next question is: "What am I doing wrong?"

Yes, it could be thousands of reasons for it, but does anyone have a tip for me?

After no success in the field, I tried to analyse why, and I saw that when a pigeon came flying over (a long distance away) he turned away in a circle and flew by on either my left or right side and kept a huge distance.

You can't shoot/hunt them before the 21st <---- is that a law?

but after talking to the farmer, and he had some problems with pigeons eating hea's cauliflower (that he also have) witch is beside a wheat field, he gave me permission to hunt them.

If it is then how can he give you permission?

Ben

As you say, it could be a hundred other reasons and nothing to do with the rotary.

Some people put the rotary too close to the hide when they first start using it, this can draw the pigeons attention to the hide and if they see you, they are off.

I always put my rotary to one side of the hide, at least 20 yards away.

If you were using other decoys as well, I would suggest taking in the rotary if the pigeons appear frightened of it and see what happens.

Normally, pigeons only spook on rotarys if they have seen too many of them.

Best of luck, do continue to persevere, as I am sure the rotary will improve your pigeon shooting results. :welcomeani:

but after talking to the farmer, and he had some problems with pigeons eating hea's cauliflower (that he also have) witch is beside a wheat field, he gave me permission to hunt them.

Ben

you can shoot them before if they are ruining the corpse (Pest control)

Yes, its the law

Ben

you can shoot them before if they are ruining the corpse (Pest control)

Yes, its the law

It could also be the speed of rotation, or it could be if it was sunny sometimes the arms shine/flash which has a very offputting effect.

is was sunny.. all of the days now that i think of it....

ill maybe try and put some mud on just to be sure the next time.

The speed... hmm what is the best then?

Slow or fast?

do your arms have a shiny finish? If so its that I bet that was spooking them. Mud works, so does matt green spray.

The effective adjustment range we have found is 30-45 RPM. Hot or windless days = slower rpm cold or windier days faster RPM.

If they still spook after that they may be spotting you or perhaps your hide is too obvious as Cranfield said.

Matt green paint is the best bet, some of the cammo tapes are quite shiny, especially when wet.

I'm not sure its always the rotary that spooks the pigeons.

I have had them flare off as they were coming in to my layout and eventually I have taken a floater down, or put an extra one out and that has made a difference (why ?).

Even reducing , or increasing the ground decoys seems to make a difference sometimes.

A rocking decoy wobbling more than the others (because the stick isn't in properly) upsets them quite often.

A decoy that has fallen over, or a dead bird on its back, seems to scare them from miles away.

I do believe I have shot more pigeons using a rotary, than I would have done on that same day without it.

Of course it is scientifically impossible to prove, or disprove my belief, but if it gives me confidence on certain days, thats all that matters. :welcomeani:

Ill try and spray the magnet with a matt green.

Guess you never get smart on these birds...

Much like fishing... One day they you get loads, and the next you don’t get any.

I have seen movies of ppl shooting 100-200 pigeons in a day, and this is not my intention.

I would be happy with a bag of 10-15.

The thing I can't understand is, how do they manage to shoot so many birds in one day?

The last time I was out hunting, I remember that my gun made a huge BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it must scare the bird’s countries away!

To me it seems that when I hunt, I usaly shoot one bird quite short after setup, and after the first shoot, it goes quiet for a looooooooong time.

I'm sure the pigeons are in greater numbers in the UK, but here in Norway we also have quite a few when the season comes.

This year I have seen great numbers of pigeons here and the last year was also good.

Just can’t understand why I can not make an OK bag just once!!

I mean the birds can't be more stupid in the UK hehe :oops:

It’s the same bird, and they even come from the UK and over here.

Well, it’s not long now... Only 6 days' until season!

:lol:

I have seen movies of ppl shooting 100-200 pigeons in a day, and this is not my intention.

Kikkan that's Hollywood for you :oops: never yet seen a film of people only shooting an 'average' bag of Woody!

Without a lot more info it's impossible to say what might be putting your birds off. Magnets do shine and sparkle on bright days so I always re-spray mine in MATT (that's important) camo colours. Wobbler sticks can sparkle too as can almost anything metal or even fibre glass in your set up. Don't forget your face and hands the two most usual culprits. The white oval of a face can be seen for miles by us humans and Woody's eyesight is a damn sight better than ours!

• 4 weeks later...

After painting the magnet with the matt armygreen and using dead birds as decoys (if you get to kill a few) i now have a nice bag of 65 pigeons 1feral and 2 seaguls hehe

Magnet is working like a charm!

I can never go out hunting pigeons without it!

But the plastic decoys with the wings folded out aint working.

The magnet only works with dead birds.

also want to add that i have shoot 3x Hazel grouse, 2x black Grouse and one capercaillie hen this seasson so far.

ill try and put the pictures out soon