Recommend me a fly line please

paul87

Can anyone recommend me a 9wt fly line for use with a single hand rod in rivers.

My intentions are to use it along with various sink speed poly leaders so I would prefer a line with welded loops.

And I would like the line to enable me to roll cast a good line when in confined spaces.

Recommendations I've had so far are:

Rio outbound short, but at £60 a little expensive however I would buy it if enough people can recommend it.

Airflo ridge line, heard good things about these lines and the ease of the pickup of the waters surface.

I will be using it with a Flextex Powertec 11" 9wt Rod, I have been using a snowbee switch line with it but I have a few problems.

1. although the rod is more than capable of throwing this line well it is very heavy for a lot of single hand use.

2. because of it's design it's awkward putting out a short line.

I realise this is not a switch rod but believe me, with the switch line, it is more than capable of throwing it a good distance and it roll casts well in confined spaces.

Be nice to hear if anyone has used flextec aeroloop lines too, supposedly they are made by airflo.

I do realise with my criteria I would be better with a double hander, but it just isn't necessary for the 200yds of river I can't overhead cast off my right shoulder.

look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks

Paul

Cant believe you posted this the now,and i cant help with your query but maybe you can answer mine.Theres a Powertec finishing on Ebay today,but im nay sure between that and the Kinetic also at 11 foot.It will be mainly for sea troot and was wondering if there is a big difference between the two?Sorry for off topicing a bit fella.

No problem happy to help.

I'm not familiar with the kinetic but the powertec is a powerhouse of a rod casting a full fly line plus some backing is not hard to do and I see people are now buying them and using them as a switch rod. I like to use it double handed at times as I said before in confined spaces to roll cast and try my best at spey to some success. It has a decent sized fighting butt to allow this.

lovely looking matt black rod with nice triangular reel seat and come well presented in rod sock and cordura tube.

My dad was always a Daiwa whisker man and then moved to orvis westen2 gear but since being recommended a powertec by one of his friend he hasn't looked at either since. He loves his and is always singing its praises to others, landed a 15lb salmon with no bother last season. And has most of his close fishing friends using them now. At least 9 of us.

I have no complaints whatsoever.

I think this website is the dealer on ebay http://www.tacklediscounts.co.uk looking at the blurb on the flextec rods it seems there is a 7 day money back guarantee at least on the kinetic anyway. You could buy them both and send the one you don't like back. Only problem is you have to pay postage back and won't be refunded the initial charge not to mention you may not get as good a price if you win it bidding.

Powertec is supposed to be saltwater proof too so would be suitable for estuaries or bass if you take the notion.

It would make a great rod for sea trout seeing as yours are our typical grilse size.

Not cheap - give Tony a bell and see what he can do.

However, to give you an example, I keep an old (15 years plus) Lee Wulff floater in the bag and it is cracked to hell and has turned brown in places but there isn't another line on the market that sinks as slow - I know as I have tried most and carry about 20 lines on a day afloat. I'll be sad when it eventually goes as it's just not replaceable.

Cheers

Gillaroo

Edited by Gillaroo

Also, explain to Tony what exactly you want the line to do and your capability in terms of different casts and he'll give you the best option.

He's a good guy and really knows his stuff.

Sounds promising Gillaroo

Thanks

Sorry Gillaroo any experience or information on this one? http://royalwulff.com/products/ambush-fly-line/

Seems to fit the criteria too?

Any reason to steer clear, perhaps its not what I need.

I'm not an overly experience fly fisher and lines baffle me, you think one sounds good from the blurb and then you read the next it sounds just as good or better. Don't want to spend a week scratching my head.

No problem happy to help.

I'm not familiar with the kinetic but the powertec is a powerhouse of a rod casting a full fly line plus some backing is not hard to do and I see people are now buying them and using them as a switch rod. I like to use it double handed at times as I said before in confined spaces to roll cast and try my best at spey to some success. It has a decent sized fighting butt to allow this.

lovely looking matt black rod with nice triangular reel seat and come well presented in rod sock and cordura tube.

My dad was always a Daiwa whisker man and then moved to orvis westen2 gear but since being recommended a powertec by one of his friend he hasn't looked at either since. He loves his and is always singing its praises to others, landed a 15lb salmon with no bother last season. And has most of his close fishing friends using them now. At least 9 of us.

I have no complaints whatsoever.

I think this website is the dealer on ebay http://www.tacklediscounts.co.uk looking at the blurb on the flextec rods it seems there is a 7 day money back guarantee at least on the kinetic anyway. You could buy them both and send the one you don't like back. Only problem is you have to pay postage back and won't be refunded the initial charge not to mention you may not get as good a price if you win it bidding.It would make a great rod for sea trout seeing as yours are our typical grilse size.

Cheers for that Paul.I have a Greys 10ft for the troot which is a wee bit soft,and a 15 footer for the salmon so the Powertec sounds a nice medium for the sea troot.They get a cracking write up at unbelievable money so will go for that.The Kinetic sounded much the same and even goes up to similair lines weights so i dont think there are any major differences.Thanks again.

Powertec is supposed to be saltwater proof too so would be suitable for estuaries or bass if you take the notion.

The Carron Jetstream lines for traditional/conventionally tapered lines are hard to beat. Plenty prowess to turn over a poly leader. Gets my vote, well suited to larger d-loops and "spey" casting.

I can also recommend both Rio Outbound & AFS heads for underhand casting, these are rockets which also go well with poly leaders a great for high and close tree lined banks etc. Just depends if u want to handle 7/8 loops of running line all the time?

Flipping hell wot type of fish you after with a nine weight single hander? I use my for chucking chickens at pike!

Seriously though as a general purpose floater is scientific anglers aircel and cheap to! Having said that for roll casts and the like I have a rio afs shooting heads. I use a 4/5 weight one with 10ft poly leaders on a 7 weight rod as they are designed for double handers a couple of line weights less is best. So a 5/6 or max 6/7 weight rio afs is the perfect ploy leader line for roll and switch work casts a dam mile too ;)

Airflow 40 + all the way.IMHO! they are fantastic lines and it will go like **** off a stick on that rod of yours.

Swingit

Yes i'm with swingit i use a Airflow 40+ although i use an 8wt rod tjroes big tubes and waddingtons which i use for night sea trout fishing.

Tight Lines

Aled

mate, your on the wrong rod. AN 11 FT SWITCH ROD is ideal for smaller venues and if you snap T, single and double spey, snake roll depending on conditions or requirements is ideal for even big tubes. there is a weight placement difference in some of the lines mentioned and a requirement to understand this is imperitive. Tell us how far you need to cast and how you intend to achieve it in terms of cast made and you will find your question answered more fully. also what 9 # as there are heavily over and under rated rods about.

For what its worth i use short shooting heads and tips almost exclusively these days on switch and double handed rods but wouldn't wish to fish with a long single handed in 9# and such lines in any river in the world

mate, your on the wrong rod. AN 11 FT SWITCH ROD is ideal for smaller venues and if you snap T, single and double spey, snake roll depending on conditions or requirements is ideal for even big tubes. there is a weight placement difference in some of the lines mentioned and a requirement to understand this is imperitive. Tell us how far you need to cast and how you intend to achieve it in terms of cast made and you will find your question answered more fully. also what 9 # as there are heavily over and under rated rods about.

For what its worth i use short shooting heads and tips almost exclusively these days on switch and double handed rods but wouldn't wish to fish with a long single handed in 9# and such lines in any river in the world

Some good observations here a stiff 7 weight will cast the same weight line as a soft 9 weight. Having said that I roll snap t snake roll etc with a 9' 9" single handed rod fine and cover all the water I need to on a smallish river

Some good observations here a stiff 7 weight will cast the same weight line as a soft 9 weight. Having said that I roll snap t snake roll etc with a 9' 9" single handed rod fine and cover all the water I need to on a smallish river

I see no reason for anything heavier than my pair of 10ft 7# sage that i use for Seatrout as a singlle handed rod. Had honking great Stripers from the surf on 9# and 10# rods, but not all line ratings are equal i am talking about my old RPLXi sage saltwater rods here.

The Switch rods realy are something though with a shooting head set up, you cover a lot of water very effectively with less effort

I own several Flextec rods and I must say I often take one out instead my Sage on the reservoir (though its always in the boot in case I fancy fishing with a bit of finesse) . You can easily go up a couple of weights above stated as they load better when (technically) overloaded I find. The build quality leaves a bit to be desired but I bought them for saltwater use and for gold heads so wasn't fussed. You can't go wrong for the money. A very sturdy cane that can be abused and given mucho sticko.

Edited by ack-ack