What to do?

After a bit of advice. Our 2 year old jrt who we have had for 8+months has just nipped our 3 year old daughter, enough to break the top layer of skin (no blood) and a couple of marks to the side, on her wrist.

I didn't see what happened, but do know that the dog was under a table in the corner of the room (so effectivley 'cornered') and my little girl said she just went to stroke him. That now changes to a smack on the nose or a stroke, dependant on how you ask what happened.

Prior to this there have been no aggression issues what so ever, he is a soft and timid dog and been great around all kids from 8 months old to 7 years old.

Do I assume that the dog was indeed provoked, (which i am minded to believe) and keep an eye on him and give him another chance (bear in mind my wife is a childminders hence the contact with the age ranges of kids) or is it a 'one strike and your out' thing?

its a difficult one that if it was just your child and the dog was maybe provoked , I would say give the dog another chance .

Trouble is if you have other children to look after and if the dog did bite one of them it would create quite a **** storm and could effect your wife's livelyhood .

Only you can make the decision though.

Re-home now before its much older. Hard i know BUT imagine if it wa anothers kid OR if it was yours only the danage was far worse at 8mnth nipping should be well in the past, the dog might just be one of those that dont take to being provoked and could well find a great second home in a home with no kids. Even a JRT can do a heck of a deal of damage to a 3yr old very fast

Re-home now before its much older. Hard i know BUT imagine if it wa anothers kid OR if it was yours only the danage was far worse at 8mnth nipping should be well in the past, the dog might just be one of those that dont take to being provoked and could well find a great second home in a home with no kids. Even a JRT can do a heck of a deal of damage to a 3yr old very fast

why should the dog put up with being provoked, train the children no to slap and poke the dog.

If you want it in the house, best advice is to kennel the dog, either inside or out. those wire cages are great indoors, or a purpose built outdoor kennel.

why should the dog put up with being provoked, train the children no to slap and poke the dog.

If you want it in the house, best advice is to kennel the dog, either inside or out. those wire cages are great indoors, or a purpose built outdoor kennel.

It would not of had a chance of being re-homed if it was mine, it would be in a very dark place by now.

Dog work in a pecking order and its trying it on, next time it could be much worse

No 2nd chances with me, kids are more to me than a dog.

I would get rid to a home without kids or put it down.

put it down ????? poor little ******, I`m glad I`m not a dog in your house, so it`s got put up with fingers in the eye ears being pulled possibly kicked and as soon as it retaliates your going to put it down ????

I`ve got a 12 month old Sprocker it sleeps in an outside kennel and is in the house when I am during the day, when the granchidren come to visit he goes back in his kennel, but they are all taught not to tease him, and I`ve been known to slap a leg when I catch them at it.

Training the kids is as important as training the dog.

how do you train a dog to tolerate abuse?????????

put it down ????? poor little ******, I`m glad I`m not a dog in your house, so it`s got put up with fingers in the eye ears being pulled possibly kicked and as soon as it retaliates your going to put it down ????

I`ve got a 12 month old Sprocker it sleeps in an outside kennel and is in the house when I am during the day, when the granchidren come to visit he goes back in his kennel, but they are all taught not to tease him, and I`ve been known to slap a leg when I catch them at it.

Training the kids is as important as training the dog.

how do you train a dog to tolerate abuse?????????

All four of my dogs are very good with my Grandchildren, but I love my Grandchildren more than any dog so I would not take the risk with a dog that has turned on any child

Pretty girl my Granddaughter, or do you think its ok for the dog to turn around and bite her on the face because it dose not like her touching it.

bear in mind this guys wife is a childminder.

I get P off with people making excuses for bad dogs that bite kids.

There is no excuse it could of pushed past a three year old

post-47459-0-83356200-1340570679.jpg

Edited by Actionpigeons

Never trust any unsupervised dog with children, particularly young children. NO dog is 100% trustworthy with very young children.

I'm sorry to say and know it may sound harsh but it's your fault for leaving the dog and child unsupervised.

I have never in over 40 years of marriage had a dog I would trust 100% with my children or grandchildren.

Lock the dog up when there is no adult providing strict supervision, not doing so is irresponsible and tempting fate.

We have an 18 month old JRT and a 4 year old GWP. I trust the GWP 100% with my kids who are aged 6 and 8. He is very soft with them and knows his place. We got the JRT from a pup and he was quite snappy as puppy's are but less so as he got older. Having said that he still has that terrier temperament and if provoked he would lash out. Educate the kids and keep a close eye on it.

I had a schnauzer who bit one of the kids when he was about 2. Turns out my lad woke him up by trying to get him off my bed by pulling his ears.

Both child and dog got a proper telling off and there was never a problem again.

Dont be too haisty getting the dog destroyed or rehomed.

Harry

Precisely you can tell who on here has any experience and who hasn't. The facts are the child has had a warning bite not a proper one, whether it was deserved or not you don't know so have a good chat with the child and keep a very close eye on them the fact you suggest the dog is timid may be the factor. Pay lots of attention to the dog and just watch for signs of growling or warning and try not to leave them alone. They have lived together for 8 months without incident and at 3 thats about the age children are a tad silly and can't be allowed to treat a dog like a toy.

I think all on here who are saying give this dog a 2nd chance are forgetting this guys wife is a child minder.

That is looks after other peoples children!

What would you say if this lady looked after your child I wonder?

I know what I would say

I for one would not leave a child with a child minder who allowed a dog to be loose in the same inviroment as my child.

There is no point whatsoever in killing a terrier that nips a small child in the circumstances described. All the OP has to do is provide the dog with a kennel and supervise his children when they are with the dog.....simple.

I think all on here who are saying give this dog a 2nd chance are forgetting this guys wife is a child minder.

That is looks after other peoples children!

What would you say if this lady looked after your child I wonder?

I know what I would say

I would say exactly the same as I'm not a drama queen!

Harry

All four of my dogs are very good with my Grandchildren, but I love my Grandchildren more than any dog so I would not take the risk with a dog that has turned on any child

Pretty girl my Granddaughter, or do you think its ok for the dog to turn around and bite her on the face because it dose not like her touching it.

bear in mind this guys wife is a childminder.

I get P off with people making excuses for bad dogs that bite kids.

There is no excuse it could of pushed past a three year old

I aren't making excuses for the dog, but it`s obvious something went on under that table to cause an otherwise quiet dog to give a warning snap, it wasn't an attack otherwise there would have been blood, like I said train the kids if you've got dogs in the house or best of all get a kennel

Edited by malantone

have a word with your kid(s) and strictly tell them not to tease the dog, and just dont let the dog mix with the kids your wife looks after.

i'd never trust dogs and kids together, its only the kids i wouldnt trust though because i dont belive a dog would give a warning or attack if it was unprovoked

my little jack russel cross patterdale is a lovely dog and loves near enough everyone he meets but hates my little six year old step brother and growls every time he goes to stroke him so has ovbiously done something to the dog in the past and i sometimes see him teasing the dog, the dog gets a firm 'NO' and the kid has had a few ####ings before now but i only have to look at him now if i catch him teasing the dog and he goes and sits down and is very quiet for a while

I would say exactly the same as I'm not a drama queen!

Harry

When these people leave their children with this guy’s wife (Child Minder), they believe they are leaving their children in a safe environment. If they are at risk of being bitten by this dog no matter how small the risk, they are not, and the childminder is abusing her position.

That is not being a drama Queen; this is believing children should be safe in their home or with someone the parents have entrusted with their children

The dog is 8 months old and nothing more than an adolescent pup still not sure how to behave in every situation his life throws at him.

You allowed your 3 year old to crawl under the table with a dog... I wouldn't let an adult crawl under a table with a dog, let alone a child. You say the dog is soft and timid, sounds to me more like the dog was fearful of your daughter in that environment than looking to cause any harm.

If this was a 4 or 5 year old dog that had been placed in the same situation many times before without reaction and had all of a sudden elected to bite then I would agree with those who say it would be out. But it doesn't sound like the case.

I assume the dog will be separated from the kids your wife child minds (that, IMO, would be common sense irrespective of the age/breed of the dog)?

The dog sounds like it needs it confidence built up, your daughter needs to know the boundaries as far as dogs generally are concerned (I know this is easier said than done with a 3 YO!) and the relationship between the two of them needs monitored closely to ensure there are no opportunities for your daughter to put the dog in an uncomfortable position.

We all hear the stories, oh my dog is such a softy, the kids poke him in the eyes, poke him in the ears, ride on his back etc.... WHY?? Why should any dog have to put up with that?

I would give it some time and management, if you can't do that the situation will likely arise again and may be worse so you owe it to the dog to find a new home for it.

Edited by WGD

Heres a timid dog that is cornered. Its had the option of flight pretty much taken away - as a dog it doesnt have many options left to deal with the situation. The bite doesnt sound malicious, more a 'leave me alone'.

The dog shouldn't have bit your daughter but you put the dog in the situation.

As has been said before, don't leave the dog unsupervised with kids and watch how the dog reacts around them.

we make excuses for dogs biting, blame those that get bitten and breed from dogs of less than sound temprement. Is it suprising there are so many dog attacks :rolleyes: .

Some dogs wont tollerate being proded and poked and thier ears and tail pulled, thats ok and understandable- JUST DONT LET THEM NEAR KIDS! kids have always done this. re home these dogs if you have kids and 100% CERTAINLY IF YOU CHILDMIND!

Nasty or human agressive dogs should be perminantly and imediatly removed from the gene pool without mercy. I dont care how good they are in other respects, no second chances

I don't agree that this particular dog could be put into this category at 8 months of age. I agree with the sentiment generally though.

its 2 and the owner has had it 8 months. I'm with you though this bite wasn't a Jack Russel that meant it, its one to keep a close eye on as much for stopping it getting pulled about and hit.