Best time of day to shoot

bigmcg

Hi All, First post on PW so here it goes.

What is the best time to head to the fields? I have only been shooting for a few months and I have been out and set up for 9am ish (depending on intake of Magners the night before :lol: )and have been getting some birds over the decoy's. Also headed out about 5pm the other week and saw next to nothing. Is there an optimum time to hit the fields?

Also my springer keeps getting cuts on his face from Oil Seed Rape stalks, has anyone else found this and is there a easy way to protect his face, it is mainly round his eyes?

Hi All, First post on PW so here it goes.

What is the best time to head to the fields? I have only been shooting for a few months and I have been out and set up for 9am ish (depending on intake of Magners the night before :lol: )and have been getting some birds over the decoy's. Also headed out about 5pm the other week and saw next to nothing. Is there an optimum time to hit the fields?

Also my springer keeps getting cuts on his face from Oil Seed Rape stalks, has anyone else found this and is there a easy way to protect his face, it is mainly round his eyes?

here in waterlogged ashby we go to work at 5 am and its pigeon city so its early bird shooter catches a cold as its so wet,but seriously theyres loads of pigeons out that early we work in lichfield 18 miles away and theyre out in bunches at that time so if your here leave the magners in the fridge get up early ave fun then go home with a bagfull and pop open a celebration cider atb clakk :good:

here in waterlogged ashby we go to work at 5 am and its pigeon city so its early bird shooter catches a cold as its so wet,but seriously theyres loads of pigeons out that early we work in lichfield 18 miles away and theyre out in bunches at that time so if your here leave the magners in the fridge get up early ave fun then go home with a bagfull and pop open a celebration cider atb clakk :good:

I was afraid of early start answer :lol:

Does an early start not give you any issues with noise?

You will get huge numbers of birds hitting the fields round here at first light but they very quickly dry up and usually stop coming by. If I want to shoot big numbers at this time of year I go out about 10 or 11 do a couple of hours recon driving about. Pick the best spot by 1 and usually run out of shells by 5 or 6.

I was afraid of early start answer :lol:

Does an early start not give you any issues with noise?

not if your 4 miles from nowhere and your nearest neighbour is a tree :lol: .the main part of my permission is locked till 8,30 but luckily theres a 8 field patch in the middle of nowhere between 2 villages :good:.though i agree with action pigeons when mrs boss lets me out is best no DIY, or GARDENING,yaaaaawn :no::hmm:

Edited by clakk