hearing aids --anyone??

DSPUK

I have reached stage in life where instead of eap plugs I need an hearing aid -- To see how bad my hearing is I have just bought a cheap behind the ear aid - put it on today and by heck everything is loud - so question is does anyone on here wear one ?

If so do you use the same which sound like a pair of Binatone ear speakers or can you get moulded in ear ones like ear plugs -- If so are they any good - and do you get echo on them - I just don't fancy the bit sticking behind my ear.

Being deaf has advantages as I can't hear the mrs's talking but now I struggle to hear music and TV. :yes: :yes:

Dave

I was diagonised as not deaf, but loss of hearing certain frequencies, and to mask tinnitus about 3 years ago. Started off wearing it but found it very uncomfortable, the ear gets hot and sweaty. When went back for a check up they can tell how long you actually wear it, it clocks up the running hours so to say and they gave me a sort of row. They gave me another hearing assesment last week, the results were about the same as last time. When asked why i don't wear it, i said about the ear getting hot and sweaty and probably a bit of vanity, so they said there is a new model out with the bit behind the ear being smaller and less noticable than before, so i am going to give it a another try, because they are trying for me. I go back next wek.

I can cope ok, but everyone tells me to stop shouting when i talk because i can't hear the volume of my own speech.

I went completely Deaf at 16 and have a cochlea implant. If you have a hearing problem just go through the NHS do not buy your hearing aids privately you will get bellow par service and will constantly cost a fortune. The NHS actually provide the best aids and they arnt big and clunky you can get the very small ones. The getting hot and sweaty thing, the first job is to tell them and make sure they are fitted right and the other is to give the behind the ear bit a good wipe as they get very sweaty, a wet tissue or baby wipe type thing is best to stop irritation.

My Young un had hearing aids as a child and they drive ME barmy.

They screamed everytime he walked past the TV and then I would ask him something to which I would get no reply. He switched them off :lol:

His were cool though as they put little pictures in the implants. Perhaps you can get a pic of a Nude woman in yours or perhaps a pic of a Beretta? :lol:

I've had one for nearly three years. Yes they do get hot and sweaty on warm days, I just keep a small pack of tisuues in my pocket, and give my ear and the insert a wipe occasionally. Obviously I take it out while shooting and I use the electronic ear defenders, which helps a bit. Because I am retired and live mainly on my own, I don't usually use it in the house, except when watching telly late night, so I can turn the set volume down a bit! :lol: Otherwise, yes it does sound a bit tinny, but the technician says that that is because as you go deaf, you lose the high tones first, so you are hearing them again for the first time for ages. Your hearing does adapt and soon the tinny sound goes. Just don't go private, the NHS ones are excellent (apparently hearing aids of the same standard cost well over a £1000 privately). Also, with the NHS you can go back as often as you want to get them adjusted/serviced/repaired for free.

Edited by Bloke

i was born with rather bad hearing as my mum has hearing problems, so i've had hearing aids from a young age, (now 18) you're best of going through the NHS as they give you good service and you can get free batteries for the hearing aids,

i use two "Phonak" hearing aids with it just slotting behind the ear with an in-ear mould, obviously it affected me when i was younger a bit but you just get into a routine eventually, if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks for replies - tonight if there's anything worth watching on TV will be tester. :good:

Ben - 18 is still very young - I would say most of us would like to be back there. Especially with what we know and money we have. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dave

I come from an era when men were men and women were glad of it . Wearing hearing protection for shooting was for poofs and whooses . I now have to wear a lemonade in each ear as shooting has ruined my hearing and I have lost most of the top end of the sound range .

The hearing aids are very good although a bit scary when you use them for the first time ,every thing sounds so loud . Dont end up like me ,use ear defenders when shooting .

Harnser .

I come from an era when men were men and women were glad of it . Wearing hearing protection for shooting was for poofs and whooses . I now have to wear a lemonade in each ear as shooting has ruined my hearing and I have lost most of the top end of the sound range .

The hearing aids are very good although a bit scary when you use them for the first time ,every thing sounds so loud . Dont end up like me ,use ear defenders when shooting .

Harnser .

Same here , although I cant wear them in a pub or where there is a lot of chatter , it just sounds like a room full of chickens so I get on better without them in that type of environment .

had my first chance of using it tonight for antiques roadshow and Countryfile - I never realised there was so much background noise but after a bit of experimenting I have found with the one I have that if I pull it out of ear slightly I loose the tinny background sound and can hear what is being said -

Still a PITA though - I will see how it goes and in two weeks time at Doc's for my 6 month MOT I will mention I am struggling to hear and see if I can get it tested.

Thanks for helpfull replies from those who have to wear them.

Dave

I blame young people of today as well - they do not speak Queens English and as you say have set a trend in mumble speak. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can hear my gun go off so it should be OK - Ah that might have been the problem :yes: :yes:

Dave