Took the Mountain Bike out

Spaniel

You know how it is, you have an idea and you buy a new toy, well secound hand anyway.

I decided to get the bike out the shed today and was determined to go for a bike ride.

Fitted the bottle holder this morning, got myself a helmet yeaterday and after we came back from shopping i decided to get out on the bike.

Off I went down our street, a long the main road and then down the cycle path....so far so good

Umm this isnt bad i thought to myself, a few pedals then a bit of free wheeling, lovely views with the odd fly hitting me in the face and dodging the odd horse pat here and there....yep im doing fine considering i have not been on a bike since i was 16 and im now coming very close to 49.....stopped on the bridge going over the river and looked down and seen the mud tracks and thought to myself, yep i could cut down through the woods and have ago along there.....quick look down at the bike and O I forgot my drinks bottle...o well never mind

So turned around and headed back along the cycle path....ummm it suddenly hit me where i was free wheeling previously i now had some inclines to get back up....

God all mighty did i feel the pain...my legs were like jelly and i must of stopped at least 3 times on the way back....

Got back home and flopped on the sattee....now im sure the more i do it the better and easier it will become, and its all part of my excercise to get fit ready for the 3 peak challange in July 2013.....but im feeling the pain at present :lol:

Now my plan of playing in the countryside cycling down some tracks may of been a little out of my league at the present time...but im not gong to give up and its got to help build my muscle up ready for that little trip next year

O and i should of added...my poor soar backside, nead i say any more :lol::lol:

Edited by Spaniel

You know how it is, you have an idea and you buy a new toy, well secound hand anyway.

I decided to get the bike out the shed today and was determined to go for a bike ride.

Fitted the bottle holder this morning, got myself a helmet yeaterday and after we came back from shopping i decided to get out on the bike.

Off I went down our street, a long the main road and then down the cycle path....so far so good

Umm this isnt bad i thought to myself, a few pedals then a bit of free wheeling, lovely views with the odd fly hitting me in the face and dodging the odd horse pat here and there....yep im doing fine considering i have not been on a bike since i was 16 and im now coming very close to 49.....stopped on the bridge going over the river and looked down and seen the mud tracks and thought to myself, yep i could cut down through the woods and have ago along there.....quick look down at the bike and O I forgot my drinks bottle...o well never mind

So turned around and headed back along the cycle path....ummm it suddenly hit me where i was free wheeling previously i now had some inclines to get back up....

God all mighty did i feel the pain...my legs were like jelly and i must of stopped at least 3 times on the way back....

Got back home and flopped on the sattee....now im sure the more i do it the better and easier it will become, and its all part of my excercise to get fit ready for the 3 peak challange in July 2013.....but im feeling the pain at present :lol:

Now my plan of playing in the countryside cycling down some tracks may of been a little out of my league at the present time...but im not gong to give up and its got to help build my muscle up ready for that little trip next year

O and i should of added...my poor soar backside, nead i say any more :lol::lol:

i recently got back on mine and I was all over the place for ages, the pain of uphill has come flooding back for me too.

I feel your pain!

Edit: Tip that works for me, find a pub thats uphill from your house, ride there, coast back.

Dan

Edited by reddan

:lol: thats what i said to the wife...get me an engine

I am messing around with the gears at present, well actually had enough for now :oops::rolleyes:

Front gearing working fine on all 3 selections, back gearing (6) I can not get it into the largest or smallest cog.

Been turning the H&L screws but only the H screw seems to make the assly move.....

then i get the gear cable either to lose or to tight to be able to move the hangle up or down the gears.....but it looks so simple on youtube :devil:

Mountain bikes have 18, 21, 24 and 27 gears, but many ratios are duplicated: you need to use the gear that has the most chain on the sprockets, and the chain in as straight a line as possible, so no riding with both small sprockets in use! keep on the front centre ring and the middle rear ones, that will do you for now :good:

keep your legs going round at the same speed no matter how fast you are moving and you will soon be building up your fitness/cadence levels, it will get easier! :lol:

10 years ago I could do 60 mile trips off/on road, now after a long layoff I'm goosed after 5 miles, I'm also trying to rebuild my fitness, I'm 50 in 8 months and aim to be fit as a 30 year old by the big day! :good:

We should start a 'PW Seniors' mountain bike team :lol:

:lol: yes sounds a good idea

mine as 18 gears but i need to sort them out, as 6 on the grip is only actually going to 5 on the sprocket at present but i have the front on the middle cog....

Aiming to get out 3 times per week walking and hopefully at least twice a week on the bike at present, so fingers crossed will get there in the end :good:

D'oh, mine has 30 gears :-)

I took mine out in the woods last Saturday, had the tyre pressures set for road use and nearly came a cropper on a fast sweeping downhill section. Then I crossed a brook via a wooden bridge and found the puddle at the end of the bridge had developed in depth during the preceding two weeks that I had been away on business. Front wheel dug in, bike stopped and I went OTHB and planted my face into the rising bank. I would normally have given it a second go but it just hurt too much.

Lucky not to get a full blown shiner but it still hurts to laugh, shin has a tasty lump and I have a 4" wide bruise over full length of my inner thigh. At 42 I really should stop behaving like a 14 year old. Bike was fine.

well managed to sort the gears out, so they are all now engaging correctly.

I shall be back out on it on thursday, have to drop the car in for a service so will throw the bike in the car and ride home on that....but it is a hell of a hill to go back up to collect the car in the afternoon :o

anyway this evening its walking time, putting on the walking boots and get training again for the 3 peaks 2013 :good:

D'oh, mine has 30 gears :-)

I took mine out in the woods last Saturday, had the tyre pressures set for road use and nearly came a cropper on a fast sweeping downhill section. Then I crossed a brook via a wooden bridge and found the puddle at the end of the bridge had developed in depth during the preceding two weeks that I had been away on business. Front wheel dug in, bike stopped and I went OTHB and planted my face into the rising bank. I would normally have given it a second go but it just hurt too much.

Lucky not to get a full blown shiner but it still hurts to laugh, shin has a tasty lump and I have a 4" wide bruise over full length of my inner thigh. At 42 I really should stop behaving like a 14 year old. Bike was fine.

Hey Ace. The tyre pressure must have been the reason then why I went **** over tip on my one sojurn onto a woodland trail...too bloody soft...

Put the road tyres on last night and did a 23 mile trip with a pal. He did not stop biatching and it took a full 60 minutes longer than the last time I did it on my own. Discovered that my Trek Paragon 29er hardtail, even with Marathon Plu' fitted, rolls considerably more efficently than a Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra with near slicks :yes:

Spin class tonight at the gym. I'm looking for a riding partner but don't think the twenty something salt in lycra I have my eye on (OK both eyes on when I can get away with it) is up for it :lol:

Shannon - not sure I follow - with the current weather you want lowest tyre pressure you can get away with in woodlands / muddy tracks?

Mine's in the empty part of the office downstairs as I type this. My wife's car is in for its MoT, so I get to cycle to work. True to form, it's blowing a gale and threatening to rai... Sorry, blowing a gale and raining buckets. That just means that I get wet and knackered when i go home to walk the dogs at lunchtime. Joy.

All that after going out for a nice run last night round the village. My legs hurt.

well yesterday i went for as hike along the cycle path, 4 miles not a problem took me 1.5 hours, all good practise for this time next year

This morning i done about 1.5 miles on the mountain bike........the pain my legs feel so heavy

:lol: mummy :lol:

I love going out on my bike, first thing in the morning still bit cold can't bet it normal go out every Sunday morning il do about 20 miles, I started just short runs with an incline now do all sorts of inclined, you feel so much better the first time you concur the hill that bets you all the time, then you start to look for a new one.

From there - the only way is up :lol:

I did 20 miles yesterday [on the road bike] in less time than it took you to do that.

Keep at it, it will come.

20 miles, OMG surely that is why i have a car :lol::lol:

Hopefully will get back out again on weds evening