Health & Safety

Highlander

I hear on the radio this morning that the jobs worths who bought us Health and Safety are mounting a new campaign to get people to ignore the minutia of their legislation! They say (get this the cheeky boogers) that people should ‘get a life’ and stop putting an emphasis on the small detailed issues of health and safety.

What planet are these people on??? Was it, is it, not them who started this whole damn mess in the beginning and forced the ‘human’ element of the public to comply? Just another way of keeping themselves employed as usual. ****** they make my blood boil bunch of bloody space wasters. :lol:

tell me about it , i work for a local authority and so have to jump through hoops(not really that would be too dangerous) when it comes to health and safety, on a daily basis i meet members of the public and i have to explain why me or the guys in my crew can't do something or other , they look at me as if to say "your just a lazy fat council tossa who's too lazy to do it" , i agree that we do need health and safety regulations but i think a common sense injection would help , as an example on several occasions throughout the year i'll be asked to carry out ca collections , it very often involves moving furniture from old / disabled peoples houses , now me and the guys i work with aren't allowed on the old persons property so what we are supposed to do is stand on the pavement and wait for the old /disabled person to carry the furniture off the property and onto the pavement then we can take over and load it onto a lorry(have you ever seen an old lady move a full size wardrobe) at times i feel ashamed that i can't help but on most occasions we just run into the property and snatch the furniture like a couple of burglars , the hse do some very good work but like i say a bit more common sense would help.

Its just getting rediculous, I have seen many changes in my industry over the years and none I might add for the better. I was talking to a dear friend and owner of a sizable restaurant, he was explaining that he isnt allowed to change any light bulbs anymore. Instead he now has to pay an electrician to fit and test any blown bulbs. I mean come on, I couls understand if it were 30 feet up in a ceiling but wall mounted lights and table lights.

It won't be long before Ovens are supplied with warning labels like 'putting your head in a hot will cause severe damage to your health.

But what really amazes me is that these H&S Officers and rule makers, have taken it up on themselves to decide that our standard electrical wiring colours are to be changed. What makes it worse is that the changed colours will significantly cause problems as what was once earth is now live etc. The mind boggles. I should have trained as an electrician, i'd be raking it in!!!!

I hear on the radio this morning that the jobs worths who bought us Health and Safety are mounting a new campaign to get people to ignore the minutia of their legislation! They say (get this the cheeky boogers) that people should ‘get a life’ and stop putting an emphasis on the small detailed issues of health and safety.

What planet are these people on??? Was it, is it, not them who started this whole damn mess in the beginning and forced the ‘human’ element of the public to comply? Just another way of keeping themselves employed as usual. ****** they make my blood boil bunch of bloody space wasters. :lol:

I think it was mostly the jobsworths in local authorities and some in industry who interpretted the legal duty to take care of workers into a minefield of work stopping, initiative sapping ********. It's the same midset that has councils chopping down conker trees in parks in case some kid hurts himself climbing up for a conker. I'd like to see public whippings of these sort of small minded burocrats. Is this the spirit that made Britain 'great'? I don't thinks so.

The other side of the coin the HSE is also vital. Its very easy for people to adapt to new guidelines and legislation.

Generally a lot of work behind the scenes has gone on to get them implimented for making the work place a safe enviroment

Jonno

i do agree that the hse are vital and do some fantastic work it's just the barmy stuff that i object to , i'm a mechanic by trade and used to work in a garage , when i used to get a new trainee on whatever training scheme it was at the time i would have to tell them not to put their hands under a hot tap(when washing hands) and not to drink the engine oil :lol: , on the other side of the coin i worked with an old guy that was a maintainance engineer in a large steel work(in the 1950's i think) and he reckoned that 1 man per month would lose his life :lol: so the hse is very much needed.

The other side of the coin the HSE is also vital. Its very easy for people to adapt to new guidelines and legislation.

Generally a lot of work behind the scenes has gone on to get them implimented for making the work place a safe enviroment

Jonno

i do agree that the hse are vital and do some fantastic work it's just the barmy stuff that i object to , i'm a mechanic by trade and used to work in a garage , when i used to get a new trainee on whatever training scheme it was at the time i would have to tell them not to put their hands under a hot tap(when washing hands) and not to drink the engine oil :lol: , on the other side of the coin i worked with an old guy that was a maintainance engineer in a large steel work(in the 1950's i think) and he reckoned that 1 man per month would lose his life :lol: so the hse is very much needed.

Mechanic are the highest risk of testicular cancer for the obvious reasons!!

As you will know used enine oil is a carciogen :lol::lol::lol:

All mechanics should now wear surgical gloves when working on car engines

Jonno

OK...............imagine you live in a block of 6-8 flats and there is a fire :lol: are you happy that as the firefighters are tackling the fire and getting rescues done they all have to(all but) stop and do a written H & S risk assessment after the first 30 mins?and every 30 mins after?

There again if you live in an area that is only supplied with 1 fire appliance,would you expect to have the first fire crew to arrive and wait until the second arrive?

Now lets talk about speeds of these fire appliances,at one time they could do 75+mph,yet now due to E3 regulations they are regulated to do 100kph.........62.1 mph for the oldies.Great in town but try overtaking on an A road or M-way?

If the HSE had their way firefighters would have to wear a harness and take time to climb ladders to rescue people from burning buildings.If it isn`t a rescue we have to use them for working at height(1m I believe).

Then even before leaving the station the crews have to get all their kit on and be strapped into their seatbelts before being allowed to move off and will any gaffer move off before this and incur the wrath of the almighty HSE ?? ?? ?? ??

Bloody right they do,because you,the general public come first.

Health and safety has a place but for goodness sake GET REAL :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jonno

As you will know used enine oil is a carciogen :lol::lol::lol:

Jonno

I won't touch a vehicle in for work without them Jonno. I remember how we all fell about laughing when the sales reps used to try and sell them to us years ago.

Health & Safety are doing far more good than bad :lol:

LB

Jonno

i do agree that the hse are vital and do some fantastic work it's just the barmy stuff that i object to , i'm a mechanic by trade and used to work in a garage , when i used to get a new trainee on whatever training scheme it was at the time i would have to tell them not to put their hands under a hot tap(when washing hands) and not to drink the engine oil :angry: , on the other side of the coin i worked with an old guy that was a maintainance engineer in a large steel work(in the 1950's i think) and he reckoned that 1 man per month would lose his life :lol: so the hse is very much needed.

As you will know used enine oil is a carciogen :yp: :yp: :yp:

Jonno

I won't touch a vehicle in for work without them Jonno. I remember how we all fell about laughing when the sales reps used to try and sell them to us years ago.

Health & Safety are doing far more good than bad :no:

LB

Excellent news LB. Pity Henry is far too old to understand

Jonno