Shooting sticks

Fishermanpaddy

Gentlemen, Im planning on constructing a set of shooting sticks for fox / rabbit shooting as I have come across new ground and the old bi pod just isn't practical on it with too many low - lying obstructions.

There is no problem with the actual build but I don't know which style of sticks will be better. The twin or tri sticks that form a large bipod / tripod to rest the fore end of the rifle on. Or else the folding sticks (usually 4) which allow for the fore end and stock to be rested simultaneously.

Your opinions / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

having bought and made bipods,tripods short and long the same as hunters vermin on you tube,i have now settled for mark gilchrists quad sticks again on you tube(type in how to make cheap shooting sticks).These are the best ive tried,that sturdy and steady you can zero off them i strongly recommend them,i was going to buy a set of southwick quad sticks when i sold my bipod but the home made ones are just as steady

atb dave

I guess we are all different. I have tried the tripod thing, forend rock steady but nothing to stop the butt of the rifle doing the circle thing for me. With a set under the but of the rifle nearly all the wobble is taken away. Some will say this is cheating, for me it is a way of getting clean kills at ranges longer than I could dream of without a rest.

atvb Paul.

Just get 2 green B&Q garden canes, an old thick rubber band and some pipe lagging and you can make a cheap set of adjustable height sticks for about £10! I had a fancy 3 legged set and the bolts came loose when in the back of my pickup, my sticks live permenantly in the back and they cost me hardly anything and have accounted for many deer, foxes, a few rabbits and they are very good for honing yours or someone else's skills who I am teaching to shoot at the moment! Shooting off sticks accurately and consistently is a skill!

I use twin and tripod. A pair of hazel sticks with the top 8" including the pivot point wrapped in grey foam pipe lagging with zip-strips. The foam gives better support for the rifle and keeps the sticks slightly apart making them very quiet to use and carry. It also gives the banding an easier life so they can be splayed very wide for use sitting or kneeling which is useful. Also very rigid. Good for leaning against trees or posts as an angled prop. Versatile.

Also use a Bogpod tripod. This gets more use. It is particularly good sitting, just as steady as a bipod but gets you up out of the grass. I snipe rabbits out to 300 yds with the .222 with this set-up and its lethally stable. I also snipe rabbits with it with the HMR from a folding swivel stool. Comfort and absolute stability. I agree with Apache that you get the knack of throwing them quickly (and quietly). I shoot them one leg forward two back standing between the two at the rear with my supporting forearm resting on the left leg and my left wrist putting weight on the sling to calm that circling. (The 24" heavy barrel on my triple steadies this motion as well).You need to put time in with tripods and refine your technique. I was like a white man with chopsticks when I first got mine.

Only criticisms of the Bogpod is the price and the fact the paint comes off after a while leaving bright shiny metal. They would also be better if the legs could be splayed to a much wider angle to give a lower height.