Harris Hawk name question

markm

The question, to cut a long story short, is the bird was introduced by a guy called Harris.

The question is - should it be called a Harris Hawk or a Harris's Hawk, the reply to the letter suggested the latter.

Surely it should be a Harris' Hawk. (when written)

Thoughts?

Edited by markm

The question is - should it be called a Harris Hawk or a Harris's Hawk, the reply to the letter suggested the latter.

Judging by the title of their article, wikipedia would also appear to incline towards the latter - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris%27s_Hawk

I believe that the sainted Lynne Truss, she of 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' fame, endorses equally the usage of both Harris's and the more modern Harris'.

The question, to cut a long story short, is the bird was introduced by a guy called Harris.

Thoughts?

Brown crow, mexican crow, empty McDonalds bag, whatever you call it, its the ruination of falconry in the country. Everyday i read of them being lost by numpties that fly them without telemetry. Its cheaper to go and buy a new one than it is to buy a telemetry set. Theres feral harris hawk breeding with wild buzzards in some parts of the country. Its time for some form of compulsary test or apprenticship, along the lines of what they have in the states.

Rant over lol.

Edited by ayrshiretaxidermy

Brown crow, mexican crow, empty McDonalds bag, whatever you call it, its the ruination of falconry in the country. Everyday i read of them being lost by numpties that fly them without telemetry. Its cheaper to go and buy a new one than it is to buy a telemetry set. Theres feral harris hawk breeding with wild buzzards in some parts of the country. Its time for some form of compulsary test or apprenticship, along the lines of what they have in the states.

Rant over lol.

Also red tails, if I remember correctly. The scary thing is, once hybridised, you end up with a buzzard that can hunt. The sad thing is that most of these non natural couplings ends up with all the birds in question being shot. Not so sure on the mandatory apprenticeship, as this could be applied to all animals kept, look at the problems bad dog owners cause.

I do believe that it should be illegal to fly a hawk or falcon without telemetry, you are after all releasing a non indigenous species into the environment. Technically, that could be viewed as illegal.

Falconry centres that offer three day courses, usually run by people that are of limited experience themselves, and then assure you that you are competent should also be monitered. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good centres run by very experienced people, but how would a newcomer differ between the two.

The problem is the breeders selling them to the numpties who in most cases are quite experienced falconers but are left with unwanted young to feed. The restrictions should be in place towards breeders first , to darn easy to breed and maybe compulsory telemetry that requires radio licensing or something, who knows

A couple of mates of mine fly Harris',American Red-tailed Kite,Saker/Peregrine crosses(if I remember correctly)and Buzzards(now both dead)without telemetry and they don't seem to have any problems.Mates Harris' hawk is called Bob,but I don't think it knows!

The only lost bird we've ever encountered was a Hobby.

Could you point me in the direction of raptor species inter-breeding;have had a search but can't find anything...well,on google anyhow.Cheers.

Edited by Scully

There was a case of a red tail breeding with a wild buzzard in Wales. All had to be shot. Havnt tried looking on the net, so can't point you in the right direction. Probably not to wildly publicized any roads.

I think the only bird i would feel comfortable flying without telemetry is the sparrowhawk. These revert to wild state very quickly and no harm to the ecology.