Smart Phones

Spaniel

Hi

I am looking at gettting a smart phone but i really have no idea of which one

There seem to be so many out there available and i thought i would ask you if anyone had any info please

I want one which i will take out on outdoor activities, walking, wildfowling so really wanted something a little bit tough, as I have had a few ordinary mobile phones which seem to pack up in the cold...until i got the B2100 PAYG :good:

But now with all the walking etc i will be doing, i want something where i can produce video and pics and upload onto my blog sites etc...

Tarrifs, networks i have no idea, but if it works on the top of Ben Navis I would be happy ;)

Edited by Spaniel

HTC or Samsung are cheaper to buy than an iPhone, the price plans tend to be less too and an "all risks" insurance is less expensive. Some have inbuilt GPS which may be useful. There is a wide range of apps for both iPhones and Android devices. Looking at phones a week ago, some felt less solid than others and the size variation is significant so I would suggest browsing somewhere like Carphone Warehouse and pick up a brochure. The different prices are well explained and the features compared. You are unlikely to be pestered by sales staff as they seem to be too busy talking to each other to care ;)

Nick

Thanks Nicks

I was trying to get some advise yesterday but the sales guy just wanted to talk tariffs with me...not what i wanted.

I dont know the difference between an Android, smartphone and iphone to be honest,im one of those guys who always wanted a phone to talk with.. :lol:

iPhone, often copied but never equalled.

I had a HTC, absolute, total, utter RUBBISH!! Never again :good:

shows how people differ...

i have seen and used others iphones. nothing would make me buy one, im not one of the apple haters.. got in ipod touch (seems to stay in the dock now) and im on my second ipad.. i just think i phones are WAY over priced comp-ared to the competition with little benefit... and battery life is pants... and the thing i find strange is the amount of i phone owners who dont like their phones

i currently have a htc and love it, had it around a year now and am in no rush to change it :)

forgot to say... i agree with the above poster who said go have a play in a phone shop. everyones different as can be seen from my and welshlambs posts.. doesnt matter what antone else thinks about a phone,you have to livew with it so if you like it then go for it

i have a htc one x , great phone but i wouldnt treat it like my old motarolla defey, that was used every day in a graphite machine shop and never missed a beat, dust proof and water proof, i washed mine under running water once a wk to clean it.

there cheap as there 2 yrs old, but still good smart phones

well went down the phone shop and had a look at the smart phones and a good chat with the guy on the desk, who was very helpfull and took me through all the pros and cons of these phones

in the end i have come away with a Samsung Galaxy S3, on the o2 network....lovely bit of kit just need 10 mins this evening to get it all going

thanks for all your advise :good:

Congrats, I like this http://www.tagheuer.com/html.php/int-en/mobile-phones/en-tag-heuer-racer-mobile-phone

But if going outdoors I recommend you get an otter box case, get the proper one not a copy! And a mini gorilla or solar gorilla ( additional battery pack/charger), my dad can't wait to get rid of his HTC wildfire, and missus is about to throw her galaxy ace off a tall building, all of them have poor battery if used the screen drains power rapidly as does havin wi-fi and 3G on! Using mapping functions will kill it in no time!

If you don't have it already probably worth putting ice cream sandwich on the phone before you start just put it on the ace and it was a nightmare kies is ****, as much as I am no apple fan having messed with an android I now appreciate the iPhone much more !

Edited by HDAV

Not sure what the battery life is like on the S3 but if its anything like all the other smart phones it wont last more than a day and a half so if you going away for the weekend remember a charger. With the GPS they last a lot less time than that. Have fun with the new phone I recently got a Sony Xperia S and its been quite a big change from my blackberry.