wheat stubble

Matt Gould

It's impossible to watch it all day - they may be hitting it first or last thing in their feeding day. Also don't forget there's harvesting going on all over the place - so they are in a time of excitement with new food appearing everywhere. But I'm sure that they will find this wheat at some point - just keep watching!

Edited by shoughton

hi guys been looking at a few fields of wheat stubble and not one bird showing on them but two weeks ago when rape stubble was about there we lots of pigeons about (flighting and on rape stubble) why is nothing showing on wheat stubble ? cheers Matt

Have a look if there is any grain lying about on the surface. Pigeons are unlikely to be there if there is nothing to eat.

Have a look if there is any grain lying about on the surface. Pigeons are unlikely to be there if there is nothing to eat.

hi bud, there is not a huge amount of spilt grain on the stubble but enough to get them interested i would of thought, and there is also another uncut wheat field what the cut ones back onto with laid patches in them seems weird. i have not checked the area for 3 or 4 days now, so they might of turned up now.

I am finding that the birds are not staying long on the "old" stubbles very long, but seem to be almost following the combines.

This week I have been shooting pigeons over decoys with the combine working on the same (big) fields.

They are spoilt for choice at the moment, it is the time of plenty for them.

I am finding that the birds are not staying long on the "old" stubbles very long, but seem to be almost following the combines.

This week I have been shooting pigeons over decoys with the combine working on the same (big) fields.

They are spoilt for choice at the moment, it is the time of plenty for them.

esacly what i have seen, as soon as they see a combine they home in on it. the wheat fields on my shoot are some of the last to be cut in the area, so im hoping the birds will be done with the fields and come to mine and stay on em for a bit, but im not a pigeon so god knows :lol: