Nothing in Norfolk

AVB

Bought two days in Norfolk last week. Was optimistic. Stubble, overcast, breezy. Was really looking forward to it for me and my lad.

There were no pigeons around at all. The guide I was with had spent the day before trying to find some and we drove around for nearly two hours on the first day tring to spot flightlines but saw nothing. literally a total of 3 birds.

Eventually set up in a field of barley stubble and between 1 and 6 managed to get 10 between us (with very few misses).

The next day was even worse. Still couldn't find any. Set up in a field that looked like it had the most potential (in reality the easiest to get the gear to) and shot one in about 6 hours.

I enjoyed getting out of the office but it just means that I am itching even more to get out next time as that's when I'm going to get that really big bag!! :lol:

AVB

I enjoyed getting out of the office but it just means that I am itching even more to get out next time as that's when I'm going to get that really big bag!! :lol:

AVB

at least you got out the office avb, not too many birds round my patch either, lots of food in the offing, one shot good bye mr woodie, lots of other fields with no guns :lol:

Hi Pavman

maybe but I would have expected to have seen more birds around. It wasn't as though they were there but flew off when we approached the fields they were just not there. Do they tend to travel far affield for food? If so too where and for what?

I think the birds do tend to congregate in certain areas for most parts of the year, where they have everything they need close by, ie. food, water and cover.

They also seem to migrate to other parts of the country , or county, at certain times of the year.

Parts of Kent seem to always have more birds, than other parts of the county.

I don't know if a national bird count has been carried out on pigeons, but I bet there are more in the Midlands than anywhere else.

Hi Pavman

maybe but I would have expected to have seen more birds around. It wasn't as though they were there but flew off when we approached the fields they were just not there. Do they tend to travel far affield for food? If so too where and for what?

I used to wonder if being on the coast had anything to do with it, cool salt air??? we got a lot of east wind off the sea coming onto the land in norfolk/suffolk it seems to stop a lot of ethnics from settling here and they are similar to woodies, opportunistically taking advantage of others :lol:

Cant be true. I thought that East Anglia had the highest rate of Eastern Europeans in the UK?

your prob right around the kings lynn/boston area but not in my neck o the woods, mind you gt yarmouth is bad :lol:

highlander is yer man for woodies, if he had not been hit by lightning he could advise better than me :lol:

Sorry to hear about your experience AVB. The woodies have let me down on numerous occasions and will no doubt let me down in the future. Such is pigeon shooting.

Out of curiousity, how did the guide deal with the situation, did he give you any sort of reduction or did you have to pay the full fee ?

Sorry to hear about your experience AVB. The woodies have let me down on numerous occasions and will no doubt let me down in the future. Such is pigeon shooting.

Out of curiousity, how did the guide deal with the situation, did he give you any sort of reduction or did you have to pay the full fee ?

Hi Grakers,

I know the guide, Bob Laidlaw, fairly well having shot with him regularly in the past. Therefore I know the effort he puts into trying to find the birds and appreciate the dilemma guides face. It's not as though he was in the field chasing the birds away! It appeared just to be one of those things. Therefore I was charged, and accepted, paying the full fee.

Cheers

AVB

Hi Grakers,

I know the guide, Bob Laidlaw, fairly well having shot with him regularly in the past. Therefore I know the effort he puts into trying to find the birds and appreciate the dilemma guides face. It's not as though he was in the field chasing the birds away! It appeared just to be one of those things. Therefore I was charged, and accepted, paying the full fee.

Cheers

AVB

ang good on you for not bitching avb, i for one would not wish to guide, get it right and its expected, get it wrong and its your fault, a thankless task if you ask me

Hi Grakers,

Cheers

AVB

ang good on you for not bitching avb, i for one would not wish to guide, get it right and its expected, get it wrong and its your fault, a thankless task if you ask me

If he had not done any research and then just dumped me in a field to get on with it and not bothered to check up on me then I would have complained. However, he does research, keeps in regular contact with me and we discuss options around moving locations if he thinks necessary (one thing I just really can't abide is having to change location but accept that at times you have to). Therefore I can't and won't complain about lack of pigeons. Just interested to know where the had b*ggered off to :angry:

I don't know if a national bird count has been carried out on pigeons, but I bet there are more in the Midlands than anywhere else.

There's 5 thousand less here this year.

;)

Dave K

:) :o :lol::lol::P

There's 5 thousand less here this year.

:P

Dave K

:P :yp: :yp: :/:lol:

If I know Bob and Fanny, they will try especially hard to put you on some birds for your next trip. There is so much stubble here at the moment the birds are everywhere in small groups. If you are lucky enough to time it right for a bash on the winter rape or when they are drilling you'll have a better chance of filling yer boots.