Big dog cub??

henry d

Apologies to those who do not like bloody photos.

Terrible evening to go out and try calling on a cut pea field, light wind and heavy showers. Set the caller 60-70yds from a rough patch and started calling intermittently. As the light started to go a hind came out followed by a pricket and a follower, the caller was off and I turned it on and the hind came into it like a fox, she circled it and came in from downwind before getting wind of my scent on it at 15yds and ran off back to the wood with the others. 15-20 minutes later I saw a dark shape at the top of the field coming towards me so I got the gun up and the fox dodged left and I thought it was going to circle the caller, which was off, but it carried on.

I knew I had to get the caller on again to either stop it or it would be gone out of range in a few seconds. It turned and came in at the same speed and at 30yds from the caller I stopped it which stopped the fox and I dropped it with a heart shot.

Teeth were sharp and the nads were not too developed so I think it`s a big un from an early litter, we shot a vixen nearby that was huge a couple 1-2 year ago, so it may have her genes too.

What`s your thoughts? It`s the biggest cub I`ve shot and the rifle is a tikka 595.

post-1301-0-75066000-1345585892_thumb.jpg

Edited by henry d

does look big Henry, if you think thats claret you should have seen the heart shot cub I had a week or so ago, that ran 15 yards on me with a trail close on a foot wide. I would never have believed it would move anywhere with the decent shot and blood loss.

The only other possibility with that cub is its a late one from last year, we've got some very small ones about still so perhaps its the size they will be this time next year. (if they get that far!)

if you think thats claret you should have seen the heart shot cub I had a week or so ago, Yeah, just wary that I don`t upset someone who doesn`t like to see blood.

The only other possibility with that cub is its a late one from last year, we've got some very small ones about still so perhaps its the size they will be this time next year. (if they get that far!)

That was the only other possibility, but as sako says the teeth were sharp and the coat was cub-like and on reflection I believe it is just a biggy.

When I first shot him I was convinced that it was an adult with just a summer coat and I put the caller back on immediately, hoping to call in any cubs that might have been with it if it had been a vixen.

just be glad of the size HD makes them far easier to shoot :good: the issue we had the other week was a huge difference in size, I was wondering why I was struggling for a shot in stubble at 120 yards or so and when picked and you see something more like cat sized you see why it was difficult to get clear of the stubble.

nice one mate I shot a similar size one bout a week and half ago, it does look like an early this year cub, as the other posts have said the teeth will give you a good idea of age,( the pic is called "bait and quarry" if you want to take a look it was posted on approx 13/8/12) in this section.

ATB Flynny

Thanks! I'm going to have to get one of those. Waiting for a friend to visit the states as they are so much cheaper over there!

Just ensure the remote buttons are working well as the first one was faulty and needed to be pressed a couple of times to operate the call and this is no good when you have a fox running in and need it to stop.

nice one mate I shot a similar size one bout a week and half ago, it does look like an early this year cub, as the other posts have said the teeth will give you a good idea of age,( the pic is called "bait and quarry" if you want to take a look it was posted on approx 13/8/12) in this section.

ATB Flynny

Thanks for the link to your post, I am now convinced it was a cub and may have been both from the line of the big vixen we shot near there and also had a good start to life with the early hot weather in April/May as young cubs tend to do badly in wet/cold weather and if this fella got a good start then he`s bound to thrive to a good size.