Anyone know military aircraft?

kyska

I work under the flight path of East Mids airport, just has a huge military jet go over, I want to know what it is.

Now I don't have a photo, if it goes over again I'll get one.

It was a delta wing, but with engines on its tail, big and noisy, had a refueling thing on the front.

Thats all I can say...any ideas?

It could have been the Vulcan.

There's one still flying in private charity hands (or something like that).

Fantastic plane.

They used a load of them to drop some bombs on the Flaklands airport with half a dozen refuels on the way there and back.

They pretty much pulled the planes (and another sort beginning with V) out of retirement and mothballs to do it.

The story goes that they finally found the in flight refuelling nozzles being used as ashtrays in the mechanics mess.

Vulcan Bomber?

No it wasn't a Vulcan, its engines were actually on the tail.

I'm not even sure if it was british, it was just grey.

Also, its cockpit was like a 'normal' aircraft, almost nimrod look to the front of it.

I keep going out to see if its bump and circling, but can't hear it.

Edited by kyska

Anyone see the programme last night on the British aircraft industry from immediately post war to today? - It ended with the TSR2 ?

He he; what did, the British aircraft industry, the programme or both? Bits of the TSR 2 are still flying today and the TSR2 story is why you'll never see another EU/NATO single nation design/build warplane again - the multi nation involvement ensures that any cancellation fee for would be prohibitive.

It could have been the Vulcan.

There's one still flying in private charity hands (or something like that).

Fantastic plane.

They used a load of them to drop some bombs on the Flaklands airport with half a dozen refuels on the way there and back.

They pretty much pulled the planes (and another sort beginning with V) out of retirement and mothballs to do it.

The story goes that they finally found the in flight refuelling nozzles being used as ashtrays in the mechanics mess.

It could have been as its flying to display at a air display today. (Look at VTOC for details)

Vulcan left FINNINGLY at 3.10 pm?? john

It wasn't the Vulcan, but we see it now and again in these parts, I was driving home with my Daughter one night and the noise was awesome, we stopped the car and it appeared out of the low cloud, just incredible, and awe inspiring to think what it was designed for and what if's it was ever used.