LOP

darren 67

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

LOP on a sporter isnt just about the dimentions, but actually practical use. i can hit stuff if i chuck an extre few inches on the stock, i`d have to premount every time, and only shoot one simple type of shot. straight away not rising or dropping. it would be absolutely useless for all the ither types of shot.

as trap shooters premount, they can afford to have "extreme" fitted stocks. such as adjustable baseplate on the stock, adjustable cheek pieces that are high, thats just one type of shot they do, and the gun is designed to just do that (poi etc).

what i would do, i would try your length of pull on a variety of targets, see how you like it, then back off in 1/4" increments to just see if it feels better.

dont bother putting the stock in the crook of your elbow and finger on the trigger to assess the LOP. thats bull.

no-one fires a gun in the crook of the elbow. that doesnt even have the head / stock relationship which is "extremely important."

ps, your mesurements may actually be right.

Hi Mate, Just Measured mine 13:3/4" PERFECT MOUNTING every time..

LOP is VERY important, if its not bang on for what clothes you wear, you will be very dissapointed with it, Ask 95% of the blokes who have bought one in a shop, Saying, " It fits a treat, i`ll hit everything with this"..

Only to leave it in the cabinet and only be touched again to SELL it:: Come on Guys Be Honest:::

I bought a LASER for my Shotgun, to me its the ONLY way to make sure it Shoots where you LOOK...

Then it Fits..

PS: Best investment I have ever Bought, Honest::

Edited by subsonicnat

Hi Mate, Just Measured mine 13:3/4" PERFECT MOUNTING every time..

LOP is VERY important, if its not bang on for what clothes you wear, you will be very dissapointed with it, Ask 95% of the blokes who have bought one in a shop, Saying, " It fits a treat, i`ll hit everything with this"..

Only to leave it in the cabinet and only be touched again to SELL it:: Come on Guys Be Honest:::

I bought a LASER for my Shotgun, to me its the ONLY way to make sure it Shoots where you LOOK...

Then it Fits..

PS: Best investment I have ever Bought, Honest:: Should have stated, its the one that fits in the CHOKE, NOT the chamber::

No one can give an answer without looking at you first hand. LOP in not one of the more critical measurements, you have a bit of leeway for personal preference, but your better going toward a fraction short rather than a bit too long.

It is massively dependant on your chosen shoulder contact point, length of your neck, build and stance. Those who stand more square on need a shorter stock than those who stand across the gun. Dont bother with a pattern plate, get on the skeet range with someone who knows what they are doing. 1/4" is unlikely to make a great deal of difference to you.

I must say I disagree with Ed on this, LOP is critical and 1/4" can make or break a good wingshooter particularly in fieldshooting. It is interesting though that accomplished shooters seem to shoot even an ill fitting gun well as though adapt themselves to the gun rather than making the gun fit them. Once you have shot a gun that fits properly you will never be happy with a poor fit. LOP depends on your physical traits and it sounds as though you may be long of arm to shoot that pull length. I am 5'10 and shoot a tad over 14" pull.(I used to be cuddly)

you need to change your wife m8 lol ,i have the same measurement from my arm as is my shotgun and it fits a treat ,how do you do yours ?

Your length of pull has many variables, such as stance, length of neck and chosen shoulder contact point. Length of forearm has no bearing.

Yours may well fit the crook of your arm but others will not.

I haven't measured mine but it's a good 17" (oooh err matron), as I shoot with a very side on stance, mount low in the shoulder and have quite a long neck. I also have a longer than normal stock out of choice.

Thing is a quick check o the forearm doesnt show much. And fortunately I'm not married.