Muzzles for cats

gamekeeper1960

Hi all after many reports and much research done mainly by RSPB and otherwildlife groups a question that I have been mulling over is ,>" Is it about time that cat owners had to fit muzzles to their animals while they are outside of the home,I mean anybody who has a dog that cant be trusted or of a certain breed have to have their dogs muzzled while out in public ?. after all it said that cats are responsible for killing upto 55 million birds per year and that are responsible for the near demise of some of our best loved garden birds. what do people think ???

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree mate ha ha, seriously though a cat can roam free and **** all over peoples gardens, scratch fences and garden furniture and as mentioned kill song bird etc, but if a dog were to do this the owner would be in trouble, But it is ok for a cat to **** everywhere etc I think not , When i catch next doors cats crapping on my lawn I knock on and tell them to clean it up, HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF I DROPPED MY PANTS AND CURLED ONE UP ON YOUR LAWN FOR YOUR KIDS TO PLAY IN, they do clean it up which is good of them ha ha ha

ATB Flynny.

The whole cat/dog thing is just a trick of history really.

As I understand it cats were generally left to roam free because they were bloody good at keeping down the vermin and nobody was worried about mongrel cats wandering around so long as they kill the rats.

Wild dogs on the other hand would often go for chickens and lambs and a larger dog could be quite a menace to people too.

(I have heard (but it sounds fishy) that the rich people got annoyed when all the local wild dogs started chasing after Fifi the poodle when she was on heat.)

A wild/feral Irish Wolfhound would be a lot more of a problem that a scrawny puddy tat.

In the modern world things are a bit different.

However….

Most of the wild bird (and bat) reduction is due to habitats being removed rather than cats killing them.

If cats weren’t allowed out to play we would have a LOT more rats and mice in the streets, and a lot more foxes too.

Except the foxes wouldn’t bother hunting the rats and mice because there’s a lot better food to be had from bins.

Not sure about muzzles, but I know a lot of cat owners who put bells on the collars to warn the birds.

I’m not sure how well this works though.

The whole cat/dog thing is just a trick of history really.

As I understand it cats were generally left to roam free because they were bloody good at keeping down the vermin and nobody was worried about mongrel cats wandering around so long as they kill the rats.

Wild dogs on the other hand would often go for chickens and lambs and a larger dog could be quite a menace to people too.

(I have heard (but it sounds fishy) that the rich people got annoyed when all the local wild dogs started chasing after Fifi the poodle when she was on heat.)

A wild/feral Irish Wolfhound would be a lot more of a problem that a scrawny puddy tat.

In the modern world things are a bit different.

However….

Most of the wild bird (and bat) reduction is due to habitats being removed rather than cats killing them.

If cats weren’t allowed out to play we would have a LOT more rats and mice in the streets, and a lot more foxes too.

Except the foxes wouldn’t bother hunting the rats and mice because there’s a lot better food to be had from bins.

Not sure about muzzles, but I know a lot of cat owners who put bells on the collars to warn the birds.

I’m not sure how well this works though.

In the modern world, we do not need cats for vermin control, especially given the damage they do to other wildlife, which simply isn't justified by the pest control they do. There are alternatives which are probably more effective and are much less harmful to other wildlife.

Habitat for most species is actually improving, yet birds, dormice, etc, continue to decline. I lay that at the feet of cats. Habitat loss does not fully explain the current situation.

Collars reduce the threat posed by cats, but they do not eliminate it.

Personally, I think cats should have the same rules as dogs. Why should dogs be kept under control but not cats? Cats should not be allowed to roam free like they do at the moment.

Edited by Reece

Here we go again! :rolleyes:

Here we go what again ? is this what forum are for ? as far I'm concerned cats are the biggest threat to smal/medium sizedl wildlife that we have in this country so the Question I'm asking is I think a valid one,As far as cats go Im not against people having cats just that no one take resposibllity for them, and I dont think that right, you may have other views and I would be glad to hear them ! , all I'm saying is if we all kept mink and just decided to let them roam were they liked there would be hell to pay ! so is there a difference ?

Dave.

I’ve never yet seen a cat based discussion where anyone has changed their mind after a decent argument has been made on either side.

We are where we are.

No amount of complaining will change things.

The concept of cats being free roaming pets is just too ingrained in the countries consciousness.

Everything from the cat on the roof in the old black and white Coronation Street credits, the Flintsones ‘putting the cat out for the night’ or Sid James shouting for his pet Cooking Fat.

And that’s just urban cats, the idea of the massively interbred stable cast with 6 (or more) toes in wales are legendry too, I can’t imagine that’s through careful breeding.

Cats are here to stay.

I would guess that before too long someone will start talking about ways of killing them with various poisons.

Then it becomes a particularly different discussion where some people see them as pets and some as vermin and things get very heated.

It’s not a case of being pro-cat or anti-cat.

It’s more of a case of accepting the way the world is, or getting angry and vindictive about things that are way beyond your control.

Even if there was some law to stop pet cats going out, there would just be a rise in the feral ones.

Hi all after many reports and much research done mainly by RSPB and otherwildlife groups a question that I have been mulling over is ,>" Is it about time that cat owners had to fit muzzles to their animals while they are outside of the home,I mean anybody who has a dog that cant be trusted or of a certain breed have to have their dogs muzzled while out in public ?. after all it said that cats are responsible for killing upto 55 million birds per year and that are responsible for the near demise of some of our best loved garden birds. what do people think ???

To be fair what you seem to drilling on about is domestic cats in peoples gardens, sure they take there toll but not really taking anything the rspb say to seriously.

Think about it, there facts are biased and largely one sided to suit there beliefs. Personaly I think loss off habitat plays a large part, largest areas of decking and slabs neatly trimmed hedges in discriminate from time of year or breeding birds.

Not to mention a mass decline in finches due to numptys not cleaning there feeders often enough. I see far more birds sickened by poor hygiene than I do with cats in there mouth.

The large decline in house sparrows was largely due to how we bettered our houses plastic facia, tidy gardens and disappearing veg patches.

Sparrow hawks take song birds and see them with more and more regularity, you think the rspb with ever call for control of them I doubt it. And surely most predation of birds by cats is done in the day and the idea of a muzzle is ludicrous.

I take aboard your views mind.

Cheers

Karpman

I'm not saying for one second that cats should or need to be killed, just that people should take responsibility for their animals, and yes if it comes down to peolpe having to keep their cats indoors then whats wrong with that, folks keep alsorts of animals in their and homes and would'nt be able to let them roam even dogs are'nt aloud to roam then why should cat be any different.

Muzzles don't work. That's why we have introduced lions in Essex.

Have just sat and watched local news and it turns out the lion was proablly turns out that is was someones moggy and it was'nt even the size of a lion cub ! they were even talking to one of the eye wittness that said she saw it through her binoculars ! makes you wonder what cracker they came out of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought of muzzles before but like someone else said what if you see one without? I see people with staffy bulls off leads walking through town centers and nowt is done about that and besides that they will still pounce and claw at things.

I often think about the cat problem in this country I have a massive hedge at the end of my garden which attracts all sorts of wildlife and in turn lots of cats killing them, they also keep getting in my guinea pig run and trying to kill my pigs but what can be done really? I totally dont agree with this weird right to roam that cats have.

DSPUK-can't you leave the thicko's alone to get on with their ramblings.

Then why did you post? :)

I never thought of muzzles before but like someone else said what if you see one without? I see people with staffy bulls off leads walking through town centers and nowt is done about that and besides that they will still pounce and claw at things.

I often think about the cat problem in this country I have a massive hedge at the end of my garden which attracts all sorts of wildlife and in turn lots of cats killing them, they also keep getting in my guinea pig run and trying to kill my pigs but what can be done really? I totally dont agree with this weird right to roam that cats have.

DSPUK-can't you leave the thicko's alone to get on with their ramblings.

Then why did you post? :)

you obviously didn't understand my post - nuf said :innocent:

dave