Muzzles for cats

gamekeeper1960

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you guys really think i am serous .ive had cats my self ,lol dont you all know when its time to have a giggle ,guys life is to short ,and as for anti i dont give a fly ********* about antis ,ive had death threats and they said they hope my kids die of cancer for eating meat ,so i dont care about antis

funnily enough it's the magpies round here that seem to do the most damage to the local bird population

While I agree that magpies and crows do a lot of damage, they are wild animals, and they are part of a "natural" predator-prey relationship. Obviously it's not completely natural, as we have not had a self sustaining ecosystem over here for thousands of years, but cats are a bigger threat as they are sustained by humans and live at massively unnatural densities.

Not denying that magpies and crows are pests. By all means do something to control them, but cats are worse because they do not rely on their prey for their food.

do you guys really think i am serous .ive had cats my self ,lol dont you all know when its time to have a giggle ,guys life is to short ,and as for anti i dont give a fly ********* about antis ,ive had death threats and they said they hope my kids die of cancer for eating meat ,so i dont care about antis

Just making sure.

do you guys really think i am serous...

Doesn't really matter Pete, we may take it as tongue in cheek but, once you put it in writing on a public board then it's in the public domain and therfore prime to be quoted by LACS or similar. Might want to consider that before posting.

Edited by -Mongrel-

But if you enjoy your shooting then why say something or anything that could give anti's ammunition,! you might one of the first people to complain if shooting was band.! beside what I was asking about is whether people thought that cat owners should take responsibility for their annimals.not whats the best way to get rid of them. :good:

I already have removed comments from this thread, and posted two reminders not to go there. There are certain subjects which always go the same way, and this is one of them. As long as people keep it sensible then there is no reason why it cant stay up (just like anything else). The problem is that these threads always get dragged down and we dont have the time to monitor them constantly.

Iv'e read somewere about a colar fitted with a bib that stops the cat from opening its mouth far enough so it carn't grab hold of the birds ! not a muzle like we see on dogs ,justs a piece of plastic that fits under its chin it can still drink and eat and lick its *** after its done a jobby on your garden !!!

I have seen this 55 Million birds killed figure, and and a few other numbers, many times now and have never found a genuine source to some real reasearch proving it. Can anyone help?

We have 5 cats roaming our place and I cannot recall the last time any of them caught a bird, although they are fantastic at keeping the rodents down. We feed the songbirds daily and have a thriving population of at least 10 species (don't ask me to name them, I am lost after robin, bluetit and house martin.(or are they swallows?))

I put it down to the fact that birds have wings and cats don't.

Here we go what again ? is this what forum are for ? as far I'm concerned cats are the biggest threat to smal/medium sizedl wildlife that we have in this country so the Question I'm asking is I think a valid one,As far as cats go Im not against people having cats just that no one take resposibllity for them, and I dont think that right, you may have other views and I would be glad to hear them ! , all I'm saying is if we all kept mink and just decided to let them roam were they liked there would be hell to pay ! so is there a difference ?

Dave.

Thanks for your comments and no personal insult meant, but the subject of cats comes up with monotonous regularity and usually ending up with the "Shoot them/destroy them/ban them all" people versus the "I love cats"people - with the " Hey, we shoot birds, cats catch/kill birds, what's the difference" people in the middle, and almost invariably gets closed because it gets too insulting/offensive. There are cat people and anti cat people, it seems that is the way it is, rationality seldom enters the argument.

If you really want my views, I am a comitted responsible cat owner, three of my cats are not allowed out, partly because Maine Coons are too valuable to let wander at will, partly the darn things are so stupid they would try and play with the cars and tractors in the lane! The last one is so old now, she can't get over the fence. In the past, I have paid for my neighbours to have the ultrasonic cat deterrents in their gardens, which worked well, and beyond that it is all fields. I don't put bells on my cats, as a friend's cat was accidentally strangled by the collar, after getting it stuck in a bush - a muzzle would pose the same risk.

As far as the local wild bird population is concerned, I think the cats have killed maybe half a dozen over the years, the wilds birds have lightning reflexes to avoid the sparrowhawks around here, I have seen three birds taken by the hawk in the last couple of months. I have more problems with one of my neighbour's dogs chasing the wild pheasants and blackbirds, and killing my lawn by ******* all over it, than by any problem done by my cat. The old cat uses a corner of my garden, and it is only two minutes work when I am cutting the grass, to pick it up on a spade and chuck it in the bin.