.22 LR Subsonic range

Daz2381

All,

I was wondering what range is the optimum for this subsonic ammunition i.e. what you zero at I have been zeroing at 50 meters but have shot up to 100m but have found that you drop is substantial (11 inches). Do any of you zero at longer ranges than 50 meters or for the greater distances do you use the high velocity .22 lr ammuntion?

This is a trawl for information on the .22 lr and not a thread to be told go buy a .17 HMR because they're flat shooting and can shoot up to ???

Thanks for your time

Daz

I think that most people go for a 50 or 60 yard zero. They then point and shoot to 70, a slight drop at 80, and that's the general limit of their range.

They can be used to 100 if your OK at estimating distances and holdover, though if doing so on a regular basis it's not the ideal gun for the job.

Personally I set my zero at 70 yards as I'm not yet able to get a .17HMR, this means I have to shoot low until 70, then high after that, it seems to work for me, allowing me to push the range out. Furthest shot is 130 yards, but while possible it's really the wrong gun for that.

What make of ammo are you using? You might be able to go onto the manufacturers website and it'll allow you to experiment with your zero range and show you what the drop would be, allowing you to get an idea of what suits your ranges.

Edited by bedwards1966

I have tried various different zero ranges scopes and mounting heights, dial in and kentucky hold. fact is 50yds is the optimum zero as otherwise your peak trajectory pushes up too high over the line of sight. effectively point and shoot to around 60 ish (depending on scope heights etc) .

it easy to look at a bunny and think is it over 50 yds? and apply the nessasary compenstation if it is OR get closer. Exclusively i now use hold, in the field hunting i rarely need more than a smidge unless i need to deal with a runner, which is very rare. in practice only i find that i can produce exellent results out to 130-150 yds by this meathod with my 452 varmint 6x42 and SK subs but 100yds realy separates ammo brands. i am fortunate mine realy produces the goods with this ammo at extended range and its quite capable of putting ten consecutive on a thumb nail when the winds are predictable. The trick with hold over is know your trajectory estimate the distance over or to the side of the target aim initially for the point but then switch to using your retical at the point it should intersect- anyway it works for me at least and i dont have a single multi aim point scope

Any HV is a waste of time at range IMO as during its slow down towards the sonic barrier it enters the transonic zone and all trajectory advantages are lost due to decreased accuraccy

If you can find a high velocity .22 round that's accurate in your rifle, you can use them for longer shots. I set up with subs at 55 yards and that gives me three inch drop at 110 yards with high velocity rounds. That's much easier to compensate for. You can load a spare mag with HV's and swap over from subs if you need to.

I used to use my .22 alot got bored with not being able to shoot long range the ricochets, not always a clean kill, got myself a .17hmr 100 yard zero is pretty much zeroed from 50-130 yards point and shoot if it's long range you want put in a variation for a .17 and use the .22 also if you plan to not shoot such longer ranges, the .17 is a deadly little round

Messed around with this for awhile and keep coming back to 50m zero you can push it to the longer distances but I don't like it I can normally get to within my comfort zone of 75m. If I found an area I couldn't and regularly had to shoot over 75m I think there are better rifles. But if you must use a LR a 70-90m zero may work for you

50yd zero for my 22lr and shoot to 100yds max. Scope an Mtc Viper4-16x50. My .17hmr is zero'd at 100yds and is pretty flat shooting from 50-150yds aim for the neck at these ranges and its a dead bunny. scope is a Hawke panorama a.o. 4-12x40 map6 ret. I wouldnt be without both of these calibres now as both have there uses depending on which permission im on.

HV is ok if you can get it to group well in your rifle my old barrel likes stingers but they where unreliable with the odd flier and one that was subsonic, I didn't trust them so stopped using them I tried them in my new barrel and they would not hold a group even tho it still like my normal Eley, CCi and winchester subs.