Parrot mki9200 into freelander 2

gixer1

Ok, so I'm trying to fit my parrot mki9200 into my freelander 2 - it doesn't have the alpine system so I bought a kram 86133 sot-082 cable and plugged it all in, the stereo works but no power to parrot - I'm guessing I need a permanent live to somewhere but does anyone know where?

Regards,

Gixer

You need a switched live from the cig lighter or fuse box. The red wire on the parrot loom should have a 12v permanent feed and the orange one a 12v switched feed. From memory on your vehicle you need to twist and unplug the fuse holders, switch them around. Then you need to cut the wire with the 12v ignition paper tag on it above the fuseholder and connect this to your switched power source.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by 20alex09

You need a switched live from the cig lighter or fuse box. The red wire on the parrot loom should have a 12v permanent feed and the orange one a 12v switched feed. From memory on your vehicle you need to twist and unplug the fuse holders, switch them around. Then you need to cut the wire with the 12v ignition paper tag on it above the fuseholder and connect this to your switched power source.

Hope this makes sense.

Alex,

Most of it makes sense except is it just one cable I need to cut? And if so on what part on the pic below? The orange and red have already been switched over (must have been when installed on my disco 3)

So if I understand you I only need to cut one wire and connect it to the cigarette lighter socket, what happens to the other end? Just blank it off?

Thanks for the help

Regards,

Gixer

That's it just check the cig lighter is a switched live. You could insulate the the free wire with some tape to be sure. I would leave enough tag end there so the wire can be reconnected in the future if fitted to a different vehicle.

Edited by 20alex09

That's it just check the cig lighter is a switched live. You could insulate the the free wire with some tape to be sure. I would leave enough tag end there so the wire can be reconnected in the future if fitted to a different vehicle.

Alex,

There are two cig lighters in the centre console, the rear one seems to be permanent live and the front has 2 wires and a third for the bulb/light - the bulb seems to be switched but is a thinner wire, I tried unplugging the power wires and plugging a spade connected into it and connecting to the parrot but it would not switch On with the ignition, would it have to be connected when I spur into it??

For the record a freelander 2 centre console is a pita to remove!

Thanks for the help I do appreciate it!

Regards,

Gixer

I just found this it should help you locate the switched live.

The only problem I found with the lead was that there does not appear to be a live wire which is switched by the ignition feeding the stereo. Therefore I had to patch a wire inside the centre console to pick up the live (ignition switched) feed from the lighter socket between the front seats. Theres an access panel on the rear of the centre console and I connected to the yellow wire giving me ignition switched power.

There isn't much room directly behind the stereo to fit all the cables but with a little jiggling it does all go in.

I then fed the cable for the control unit into the back of the tray (where the satnav would normally be) and put a mount on the dash. This means there's no unsightlly wires and also I can unhook and place the control module at the back of the tray when not in use which should make it a little less obvious to theives.

When you have it all connected if it still does not work just post some photos here and I can see if anything obvious is wrong.

Edited by 20alex09

The feed for the bulb would normally only be live when the side/headlights are switched on. Could you get some photos of the wiring all plugged in so that I can see if anything obvious is wrong.

Alex, will do, had to put it all back together as I needed the car today but I will take some pic's tonight, if the plug for the lighter I plugged into was unplugged from the lighter should it still work? Or would that be a broken circuit?

The link you posted isn't working :(

It worked when I had it on the rear cig lighter but it didn't turn off!

I hate wiring!

Regards

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Well after messing around for a hour tonight -

The mess that was inside (with the dreaded switched live in red!)

F0E6EE04-2C30-485F-9106-453C2183C2A4-10400-00000FBB4C774C9E.jpg

Cramming everything behind the head unit is a nightmare - the blue box went in to the right of the dash and the connector for iPod, jack and USB went in the glove box -

55919041-4B4B-4CF7-A686-0741849E5B98-10400-00000FBB85490465.jpg

The centre console with the dreaded switched live - yellow wire just as Alex said! (well done Alex!)

65F440B4-4EE7-4C25-A647-790B3C19756B-10400-00000FBB64BE4CE9.jpg

Finished end result -

4BC6E2DF-C714-4DF2-8674-6BF16C05D448-10400-00000FBB9CC86349.jpg

I figured out what the problem was - the cigarette lighter appears to be a permanent live due to the fact you push the key into the dash and push the start button for 2 seconds to turn the ignition on, then push the button again to switch the ignition off - the problem is that when the ignition goes off some of the car electrics stay on! You have to pop the key out of the dash to turn the power off on all components!!! Had me confused for a while! :blink:

Thanks again for all the input and especially Alex!!

Regards,

Gixer

Well done looks a neat install, the mki9200 is a cracking piece of kit well worth the effort.

Thanks Alex, one minor problem - I have lost the little ball joint tab the microphone clips to - I run it up behind the a pillar trim so it is held by the cable but I'll need to get a ball joint tab - any ideas where I can get one?

The fact my mki9200 has been in 3 cars is a testament to how good they are!

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I think they come from Parrots UK supplier Pama, although I believe it only comes with the complete mic cable. I am working away this week but I could send one to you, when I get home.

That would be fantastic alex! Let me know what I am owe you and I will pm my address.

Thanks again!

Gixer

Or you could of done what i did and paid the man at Halfords £25 to do it, 4 hours and no stress later job was done

Why? that would mean having some chimpanze taking the easiest option everytime instead of getting it just how I wanted it! :good:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Why? that would mean having some chimpanze taking the easiest option everytime instead of getting it just how I wanted it! :good:

Regards,

Gixer

I fitted the mki9000 in my wifes car & the ck31000 in mine, excellent bits of kit, (the ck3100 you dont even have to touch it, just say phone & the the name of who you want to call,& when finished just say hang up).Cant work it out when you see someone driving 30 grands worth of motor with their phone in hand.Just spend a £100 quid and save getting a ticket..(then again whats the difference between eating at the wheel or making a call or even changing a cd??) possably just a way of making revenue.

Edited by Davyo

Regards,

Gixer

LOL couldnt help but laugh, i had to go back and look at your dashboard all in bits, you mentioned a chimpanze,LOL

Sorry,

The young lad from halfords put the controls were i asked him to, made a cracking job too and it all works.

PS your last picture shows you have made a decent job :good: