iPhone questions

bicykillgaz

Hi gents,

Just picked up an iphone4 second had but absolutely mint condition for £200, was wondering what are decent apps, preferably shooting related or just some I might find useful. Or is there any decent accessories?

Also is it worth having it jailbroken? And is there any risk of having it done?

Cheers in advance

Gary

You can get the shooting sports magazine and a couple others on the newsstand. Not sure what other shooting bits are available.

I have had a jail broken iPhone before but I can't say I would do it again nothing special about it too be honest.

This one is jailbroken that's why I asked but ive not found anything worthwhile so I'm uninstalling it by doing a factory reset. It's taking ages to reset it all though, it's been over an hour so far I'm beginning to think its broken!

When I reset mine it sat there all day as well. Eventually got around it doing a remote wipe.

Jail breaking allows you to do a lot, from installing handy little things that allow you to turn on/off wifi, 3G etc to save battery with a swipe of the top bar, to installing any ap for free. The tweaks are endless, and having TomTom for free can be nice.

If you like pictures, Snapseed is the only editing ap you need. iMovie is interesting. Clay shooter is in the newsstand.

Edited by OddJob

Cheers oddjob, I ended up doing a manual reset hold the power button and the one on the front (action button) for 10 seconds then release power button and keep holding the other for a further 10 seconds till th apple logo appears then plug it into iTunes click on your iPhone as if you was gona sync and it gives you the option to 'resore' clicked on that took about 40mins all in all.

The jailbrake was done using free software which isn't as good as the one you pay for apparently, I had a look for some apps but it all seemed to be themes and kiddie games decided to wipe it I might see about getting it done properly but not in any rush.

I've downloaded a primos hunting calls app, I wanted it for the crow calls so I can listen to it and practice with my calls, hopefully get better results if I can perfect it. Other than that not sure what others I'd use.

Cheers oddjob, I ended up doing a manual reset hold the power button and the one on the front (action button) for 10 seconds then release power button and keep holding the other for a further 10 seconds till th apple logo appears then plug it into iTunes click on your iPhone as if you was gona sync and it gives you the option to 'resore' clicked on that took about 40mins all in all.

The jailbrake was done using free software which isn't as good as the one you pay for apparently, I had a look for some apps but it all seemed to be themes and kiddie games decided to wipe it I might see about getting it done properly but not in any rush.

I've downloaded a primos hunting calls app, I wanted it for the crow calls so I can listen to it and practice with my calls, hopefully get better results if I can perfect it. Other than that not sure what others I'd use.

You shouldn't have to pay for a jailbreak. Agreed if you looked through cydia there is not much that jumps out at you - you need to install installous (google it) then you will find the jailbreak a lot more useful.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gaz - not sure if you have seen this yet, it was launched yesterday, and is an app I have been working on for some months. iGamebook Shooting App - which allows you to keep track of all your days shooting, photos, comments location, and also you can easily check the seasons for any quarry species in the UK on it!

The website is: http://www.igamebook.co.uk

Have a look at Theodolite in the app store.

This could potentially be amazing for shooting, judging by reviews this is held in very high regard.

It would appear to range find which is a feature most of us will be interested in.

£2.50 as well, I've downloaded it as for that price it's worth a punt.

Edit: Here is some info http://hunter.pairsite.com/mobile/theodolite/help/index.html

Edited by Muddy Funker

Referring to the jailbreak point.

Never

Ever

Ever

Ever

Pay for a jailbreak. It's either fake, a virus or will break your iPhone.

All jailbreaks are released by a handful of hackers and only take donations as a means of recognition for their work. If a jailbreak exists, it will almost certainly have come from these guys and their version is the most reliable, not the paid ones.

People to listen to: @pod2g @p0sixninja @planetbeing @MuscleNerd @pimskeks @iOPK (There are more, but that's all I can think of for now)