The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a trip down the foreshore only birds around we're some waders but the biggest we're some tornados and some eurofighter typhoons a few hundred feet up doing loop the loops and rolls had my own air show, kept scaring the bejesus out of me not good for the bird life mozzies everywhere been bitten to *******, here are some pics of my unsuccessful flight dogs loved it though sorry camera phone pictures....

81BA5182-ACA8-47B1-BF61-B063B2550D60-102-00000000E3481C09.jpg

9E54FE99-BF71-4956-8980-C1E77AF8E7D0-102-00000000B8B1C26D.jpg

DB2E52E8-2DC6-44C2-B6C8-0568CCE9A629-102-00000000749D6ED5.jpg

543FF8BF-CD0C-4189-9271-76A1447D9BCD-102-0000000056D04502.jpg

892B9E6D-65E1-4AF2-AE17-A47F4A48FBB8-102-0000000115916CA8.jpg

d8c0ad2747474ae934c6f67f116a4492.jpg

5699c3421469c3ba533aa11435decac1.jpg

f32ac4029dabe42f61551543bdc8eb06.jpg

0a0114ca4c9aa8923908c58ce07dc994.jpg

31c4117fb60e75bddbb1046b8fe184c6.jpg

ac93908be3d880f8f84210d4516928f0.jpg

fab1b2bb00d7c61bc953321b8fb47130.jpg

15e07a7bede7318ddddfcb7444d9de6f.jpg

f2f4c4ea2ef7e5eb000d72e93d012789.jpg

Edited by tigger

Nice Pics!

I'm stuck overseas all week for work so will be more than ready for some quiet time down the marsh at the weekend. Good tides for it too! Then I'll hopefully get on with the floor boards for the Punt. Mid October is now looking unlikely due to bloody work commitments but i have the half term break off at the end of the month so will definitely get it in the water for then!

I went for morning flight today... there were a few birds about but all of them were very high. Wildfowler1984 shot a cracking widgeon, stone dead in the air at 45-50 yards.

Following that we both had a go at a small pack of mallard and both clean missed... There was another fowler out this morning 'upstream' of us which meant any fowl onroute to us had already been shot at - not ideal.

Better luck next week maybe!

I meant to put in my last post, my young lab retrieved the widgeon from the middle of a fast flowing estuary. Only her second proper retrieve so I was really pleased with her. She is starting to calm down now whilst out wildfowling, I just need to get her to stop keep trying to climb into my lap for a cuddle all morning and trying to lick my face!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I went out last night with an associate of the club....very poor to be honest

we seen 5 greylags go up the channel, and we had 3 mallards go over our heads but very high up.

only had two wigeons fly over us but just managed to get a shot off before they were gone.

So different then the previous week but thats how it goes

still an enjoyable evening out

I went out last night with an associate of the club....very poor to be honest

we seen 5 greylags go up the channel, and we had 3 mallards go over our heads but very high up.

only had two wigeons fly over us but just managed to get a shot off before they were gone.

So different then the previous week but thats how it goes

still an enjoyable evening out

Where were you mate? Taking an associate out Thursday.

on the splash sat between the two bushes, one guy in the ditch had a shot at a high duck.

We had a guy to our left and that was well flooded yesterday, but it was so quiet

not sure if i will get out this weekend as i have the bathroom to start and then i have the whole week off but i expect i will have my work doing some major diy, but hopefully out the following weekend..

I went for morning flight today... I woke up at 1:30 because I was worried that the clocks changing would mess up my alarm, i couldn't get back to sleep so after looking at semi-autos on for sale until 3:15 i decided to get up and go, needless to say i'm feeling pretty tired now... :blink:

My sisters boyfriend had asked me some time back if i would take him fowling as he is in the process of getting his SGC. He didn't want to shoot, just come out and see what its all about. So hoping to be able to give him a reasonable experience I thought we'd stay out of the really sticky mud and we could take a boat across to one of the islands. As there was only 2 hours of water there we had to push the boat down into the bottom of a creek about 50m wide, having the boat to lean on made this exercise a lot safer for a newbie. Once at the water we hopped in and i rowed us 800m or so down the creek until there wasn't enough water to go any further. We got out and i walked the boat with him in it another 50m or so to get to a suitable spot to get all the gear out... apparently it wasn't such a good spot! he got out and went straight past his knees into the mud. he proceeded to spend the next 3-5 mins struggling to get his feet back out. Thankfully we had the boat there so he could pull himself out into it. As there was a newbie with me i left half hour earlier than normal so we weren't under any time pressure, so no problem... i pulled the boat back 70m or so to a spot where the water is only 5m or so away from the main island, again, he stepped out and sunk, this time he was able to get up to the solid mud. There is definitely a technique to walking on soft mud so that you don't go straight down, but have you ever tried to explain that technique that works for you???

Anyway, we made off across the island that has a further 5 or so small gullies that we had to cross. By the time we got there i thought he was about to keel over... it makes you realise just how much effort it takes to move about out there!

Anyway, i managed to get a teal and a widgeon early on, and as the sun came up the temperature dropped. My 'brother in-law' sat there and the chin started to drop into his collar and the shakes started, too much effort exerted mixed with cold weather! We gave it half an hour or so with no more birds moving so decided to pack up before he got any colder. As is so typical, as soon as we packed up a pack of 100 or so widgeon went straight over where we were sat, followed by a small pack of mallard and some teal...

As the tide had come up since we set off, there was enough water there for us to take a slightly different route back meaning less mud... We still had to push the boat 50m or so across a flat mud pan, which clearly took its toll...

All in all a successful fowling trip. But i certainly don't think he's got 'the bug' just yet! :lol: Maybe when its -5C mid January!

I bet he got home and told your sister that you are mad!! I find that people either take to it nearly straight away or it probably isn't for them, but you never know! I have had 2 trips out this week, Thurs eve bagged a Mallard (but should have been 2!!) and this morning had a Teal.

Don't know how everybody else is getting on but i have had a brilliant start to the season, there appears to be a good number of birds about and my shooting has been pretty good so far!

Yea, fowling seems to be the marmite of shooting. I think he was be impolite when he said he'd like to go again...

He did well considering it was his first time out in the mud, like everyone, the more confident you get in it the more enjoyable fowling gets.

My season has started pretty well too. Not too many blanks so far and a lot more birds about yesterday! Got this week off so hopefully get some good trips out!

Before last season i was approached by a new associate member and asked if i would take them out and get them to a position to apply for full membership, i liked the lad from the start and agreed that i would.

First time i took him out was about the 2nd or 3rd week of the season he turns up with more kit than me, he had bought a new Eider jacket, Beretta Extrema, chest waders, decoys etc etc. You name it and he had it, and it was all top stuff. I took him to the muddiest, coldest marsh our club has (not to be mean but it offered a good chance of a bird) and he hated every second of it :lol:

I chased him for a few weeks after to get him out again, but he never did. Soon after i had a text from him asking if i wanted to buy any fowling kit!

My season has started pretty well too. Not too many blanks so far and a lot more birds about yesterday! Got this week off so hopefully get some good trips out!

Good luck for the coming flights mate :good:

Before last season i was approached by a new associate member and asked if i would take them out and get them to a position to apply for full membership, i liked the lad from the start and agreed that i would.

First time i took him out was about the 2nd or 3rd week of the season he turns up with more kit than me, he had bought a new Eider jacket, Beretta Extrema, chest waders, decoys etc etc. You name it and he had it, and it was all top stuff. I took him to the muddiest, coldest marsh our club has (not to be mean but it offered a good chance of a bird) and he hated every second of it :lol:

I chased him for a few weeks after to get him out again, but he never did. Soon after i had a text from him asking if i wanted to buy any fowling kit!

LOL!! You weren't the only one. He had the best possible start as well on an Associate flight. It has to be the same guy as there can't possibly be two of them

Edited by Reabrook

Not real fowling as it was on our flight pond, but i had 2 Wigeon and a very tall Mallard to start the evening off. We ended on 10 Mallard and 2 Wigeon between the 5 of us for 19 shots. We have a limit of 2 brace each as that is enough

Loads of birds coming in, at one point there were over 40 Mallard circling to come in :good:

Out Sunday morning for some proper wildfowling, as good as the flight pond is it don't scratch the itch :lol: