.50 BMG

il cacciatore

you wouldnt get a .50 BMG cleared for land unless it was seriously safe. You certainly wouldnt get it on an open cert. So you would not really be able to shoot deer anywhere. And i would imagine that the home office guide lines state it can onyl be used for target.

Not an entirely stupid question thought.

WHY?

I suppose it would save you stalking if you could shoot a deer from a couple of miles away.

If they have to move a saftey zone to shoot one on a military range you will never get any farmers field cleared for one.

Cheers

Martin

Try www.50cal.co.uk for .50BMG import//purchase/use questions. Civvies can only use 50s on MOD firing ranges, such as STANTA and Sennybridge (both horrible places).

They are hugely entertaining to use, I assure you, although they require a high level of skill and knowledge of marksmanship. With 12,000ft/lbs of muzzle energy, you also need a hefty backstop.

Intresting comment about Sennybridge, I went to the X range(?) with a couple of mates and had a great day out, but the sun was shining all day, from my walking experiences in Brecon I know that doesn't happen very often. When we told a friends brother in law (just back from a tour in Iraq) we had been up there he said it sends a shudder down the spine of anyone who has served in the forces as he had spent many a night under a sheet of plastic up ther in the p*ssing rain :good:

I am almost certain the 'village' the army use up ther is the one featured on the Top Gear program where they tried to shoot Clarkson with blanks.

il cacciatore,

If you search the picture section I stuck some 50 cal photo's of that day up there, and no they are not used to shoot deer.

Stuart,

I am almost certain the 'village' the army use up ther is the one featured on the Top Gear program where they tried to shoot Clarkson with blanks.

Site used was Copehill Down or as it is commonly known, the German Village just West of Shrewton on Salisbury Plain.Tthat was deffo the one where they tried putting 'hits' on him when in the McLaren SLC but if you are referring to the stuff Clarkson'd head up through the trap door and scare the living **** out of him with a T Flash etc...... Then I may be wrong :good:

Paul

that was a good interesting thread Stuart ;) ..............When you up there again :lol:

Coincedently I had the offer to go there tomorrow Ive, but I have turned it down in favour of days pike fishing with a couple of mates and some :good:

We will be on the river Avon right in 'Flyties' back garden, and then some pigeon scaring on Sunday - but it looks a bit bright and not enough cloud - Excuse No1 if I remember rightly!

As for Sennybridge I will go back and have another go as we enjoyed it so much last time (as I am not a squadie I can go home to my nice warm bed with my nice warm wife after we finish shooting :lol: ) and I still have a load of cheap ammo I didn't get around to using at Bisley

I will also be down that way hillwalking soon to try and get fit(ish) again after the excesses of summer.

Yes, being as posh as I allegedly am, I have obviously been through Sandhurst. But there's little in the way of pain and misery meted out there. Apart from the food, and the inventively sadistic beastings. The suffering comes on field exercises, hence the link with Sennybridge and other such hell holes. Imagine hallucination-inducing fatigue, eye-watering constipation from the ration pack diet, and highly amusing Welsh weather.