eating rook ?

pigeon pete

I shot a couple of rooks and brought them home to make cat food. I did it just the once as there's surprisingly little meat on a rook - they seem to be all beak, head & feathers so it was hardly worth the effort.

Personally I wouldn't eat anything that dines on either fresh meat or carrion :sick:

A few christmas's ago I prepared some pigeons in a peppercorn sauce to eat as a side dish to accompany xmas dinner. Everyone tucked in and said how much they enjoyed it all, the look on their faces when I told them they had been eating crow and rook was priceless!! Not dissimilar to pigeon but smaller morcels tbh

We normally eat the branchers-not the adult birds.Breast them out and soak them in milk for a few hours-then fry on a medium heat for a couple of minutes,tastes a bit unique but nearest comparrison would be cheap steak.Wouldn't try crows-meat and carrion eaters tend to be horrible.

Edited by bruno22rf

It’s legal to shoot rooks and it’s legal to shoot branching young rooks. I shot a lot and feed them to my Hawks and ferrets.

I may be wrong, but I assume the poster meant they physically TOOK the rooks from the nest! Not shooting, but clambering up the tree and taking them.

I believe this falls foul of the law, interfering with a wild birds nest or something IIRC.

I may be wrong, but I assume the poster meant they physically TOOK the rooks from the nest! Not shooting, but clambering up the tree and taking them.

I believe this falls foul of the law, interfering with a wild birds nest or something IIRC.

As I said SHOOT, Shoot being what I was saying.

Can’t see many people now or in the past climbing up trees to catch young rooks can you. For one thing they build quit high and it would take a lot of climbing to get very few young rooks.

Also I may well be wrong but I think you can interfere with pest bird’s nest: i.e. destroy them

Edited by Actionpigeons

Climbing trees to get them was common enough when I were a lad-back in the 70's we did just that until one of my mates inherited an Airgun - he then used to climb as high as he could with a rope tied to him-once in position we would tie the gun to the rope and up it would go-used to get tons of them-where are you now Eddie-jeeeez you could climb a tree!!

nope they can be taken from the nest at any time, shot, destroy eggs, and desroy the nest,only in the day not at night. that go's for any bird on general licence. if you did any of the above you would be complying with general licence and obviously abidiing by the law! forgot to say it is illegal to sell rooks. just read an article about a bloje who was nicked for supplying a pub with rooks

cheers

Edited by mr williamson