Have my firearms interview in the morning! Advice needed!!

jam1e

As it states folks, the firearms enquiry officer is due at my place tomorrow at 10.00am, and I'm a nervous wreck already! :unsure:

I'm not dim, and have have had a S.1 ticket before. But this was knocking on ten years ago and i don't recall much about it.

I've bolted my approved cabinet and seperate ammo box out the way inside the house on a solid wall.

At this point i've only asked for a .22 and .17 rimfire for "vermin control". I intend to use the .22 mainly for rabbits at night with subsonics and NV. And the .17 rim for day shooting, of crows, pigeons and the like to give me more range. Will he think thats a good enough reason for "vermin control"???

Any valid constructive comments will be welcome! :|

As it states folks, the firearms enquiry officer is due at my place tomorrow at 10.00am, and I'm a nervous wreck already! :unsure:

I'm not dim, and have have had a S.1 ticket before. But this was knocking on ten years ago and i don't recall much about it.

I've bolted my approved cabinet and seperate ammo box out the way inside the house on a solid wall.

At this point i've only asked for a .22 and .17 rimfire for "vermin control". I intend to use the .22 mainly for rabbits at night with subsonics and NV. And the .17 rim for day shooting, of crows, pigeons and the like to give me more range. Will he think thats a good enough reason for "vermin control" ???

Any valid constructive comments will be welcome! strong>ression.gif

got my ticket through on 6th sept after just over 8 weeks,22 and 17 like yourself.feo asked for reasons for both calbres and just gave same sort of replies as yourself but wouldnt approve fox on the hmr.wasnt going to argue..but vermin control .is good enough for both calibres..good luck :good:

I come under the West Mercia Police area. He seemed very pleasant on the phone...

West Mercia were featured in the last issue of Shooting and Conservation as having worked with BASC to much improve their firearms licensing dept. hopefully this will mean they do a good job for you fella! Best of luck!

You've got everything correct and in place, If he asks tell him that you keep your cabinet keys hiiden somewhere only you know, and that your spare keys are kept in a different location. I found that even if you haven't got the exact answers they want to here, their happy enough that you take their advice on board and tell them you'll make any changes needed. There's definatly nothing to be worried about!

Just be honest,don't b**ls**t them, they will have a degree of knowledge.

When asked about your permission, they will feel more comfortable knowing you have a good knowledge of the land if there are footpath's or fishing pool's and of course the relationship to the land owner. ( mine was my uncles land and I know every inch of it, which helped me) flat land offers not so many backstops so they will might ask if you will be shooting from ground level or elevated vehicle/highseat.

I had my visit from west Mercia last month chap called Rob, he let me put down a .17hmr for fox. But as with every calibre, they all have there limits so my words were "mainly for rabbits but fox if in a reasonable distance"

After the questions had been asked and checks had been done on my existing guns and cabinet, we had a general chat, as he seemed happy with everything.

He mentioned his pet hate is poor gun handling! Not breaking shotguns, or showing a clear chamber before handing over for inspection.

As for keys, have them in your pocket ready this will avoid showing the FAO where your hiding place is, that way it can't be questioned.

I was asked, and I said a very safe place only I know, it raised a smile and nothing else asked. They don't like anyone else knowing even your wife or partner, remember there not granting them a licence.

Good luck, but don't panic. My chap was reasonable and fair and my ticket arrived two weeks later.

Let us know how it goes.

i have just had my FAC and i too come under west mercia, the new firearms officer is Rob, he is really pleasant chap, he came in, i offered him a drink, went over my application then asked to see my safe, to be honest not knowing what to expect was the worse part of the whole process, the interview lasted about 30 min. exactly a week later my licence came through my letter box. West mercia have really cleaned up their act,last year my shotgun certificate took 8 months!! this year my FAC took about 6 weeks.

good luck

i have just had my FAC and i too come under west mercia, the new firearms officer is Rob, he is really pleasant chap, he came in, i offered him a drink, went over my application then asked to see my safe, to be honest not knowing what to expect was the worse part of the whole process, the interview lasted about 30 min. exactly a week later my licence came through my letter box. West mercia have really cleaned up their act,last year my shotgun certificate took 8 months!! this year my FAC took about 6 weeks.

good luck

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm shocked that you received it a week later!! :o

My interview lasted around 45 minutes or so. It was fine, no trick questions, more general chit chat really. His name was Andrew Stinton or Stinson. He usually covers the north end of WMP. Was a nice bloke and a shooter himself, hence the chit chat...

I mentioned that i wished i had put a .204 cf on the application for foxing. He said it wasn't too late as he could do this for me and pass it on to the decision maker. Top bloke!

When he left he said i should hear something within a month. To be honest i was abit deflated with having to possibly wait that long, but thats only due to me being over excited!! :lol: And after hearing your time period i'm abit more optimistic that it may be less than a month??