Slots or springs in feeders?

Scully

Apologies if this has been covered,but 'search' turned up nothing.

On our rough shoot we use springs in the bottom of feeders,but a syndicate where we're all doing the 'keepering job now due to 'keeper retiring last year,has always simply cut slots into the bottom of each feeder.This niggles at me because I think they're hard work for the birds,but they're obviously being used as the feed does go(slowly)but I can't help thinking it may be one of the reasons why we tend to lose birds towards the end of the season as the feeders never seem to get 'hit hard' as I would expect when the severe weather arrives.

Does anybody else use slots?Do you think they're a good/ bad idea,and if so why?

I have to try and sell the idea of springs when we next have a meeting,but have no proof that there's any logic to my theory.Cheers.

If you go with springs, I would fence off my feeders as deer will eat your wheat by knocking the spring with there tounge and wheat costing over £200 a tonne can be costly.

Bod

Yes,you're right.We fence off our feeders on the rough shoot as there are sheep present as well as deer,the syndicate shoot has deer but no sheep.

Most of mine are springs, I find deer guards do NOT deter Badgers who grab the spring above the spikes and bend it. I have no deer to speak off. I do have slotted feeders and feed use is far less. However I wonder how much from the springs is going to vermin, squirrels swing on the spring, I shot one off a spring last year.

A

Springs are great but I agree that maybe a lot of grain is lost to vermin, especially if the wheat is small grained and a load falls out with every tap. We do not suffer from the attentions of deer until the end of the season, then I put a circle of pig netting around the feeders which seem to do the trick.