School rugby

AVB

Oh i'm still involved with the club, got a grant recently for some new floodlights. Do 1st aid for the Youth or 2nds sometimes. Still pay family membership. Just waiting for my son to hit 7 years old, and will get back into the coaching/management side of things.Did some coaching and reffing (qualified to district level) whilst waiting for a shoulder op. Hopefully will be visiting some of my old stamping/stamped on grounds! :good:

Tight Lines

Aled

Edited by Aled

Who did you play for? I played for Maldon in London NE 3/Essex 1 and Bishop's Stortford in London 2 before moving to HK and Singapore and finishing my 'career' there. I was Hooker/Prop at a chubby 16 1/2 stone. I am a bit lighter now at around 13.

I played for Upper Clapton, in which case i must have played against you at some point -Small world!!

I played as prop at school and then club rugby in my early twenties including a tour to France, Belgium and Holland.

We had a team of 1991 reunion in March this year at the rugby club which was a great day.

My eldest son has just started senior school and is getting into rugby, good lad!

used to play at high school, we didn't have a team, just an enthusiastic welsh french teacher. then i moved schools where they had a team but i broke the scrum cage thingmybob that they used to practice scrummaging with, and they wouldn't let me play after that.

How the hell did you break a scrummage machine - They're flippin' indestructible!!

Always a high point when you were training after heavy rain in the freezing cold and on the first hit at the scrummage machine, all the water used to soak out of the pads all down your neck.

That, on top of the highly enthusiastic second rows who used to love to bind on your shorts with a cracking handful of pubic hair at the same time, despite you desperately trying to give them your shirt.

I played for Upper Clapton, in which case i must have played against you at some point -Small world!!

Was carried off against Clapton once. Joined a ruck at pace to meet somebody's fist coming the other way. You had that nice log fire if I remember rightly so spent the rest of the day warming up around that.

Why did all schools in the 70's have Welsh games teachers? Was there some sort of immigration scheme going on. We were just a lowly, 3rd rate comprehensive but had this passionate Welsh games teacher. He would wander around the corridors in his muddy tracksuit and boots.

I've played rugby league all my life. My dad played professionally and for GB as did my uncles so it was inevitable really. When I was born he was managing a shoe making factory and got the girls on the floor to make me a pair of boots. I got my first pair of rugby boots on the day I was born!

Now that is a cracking stroy, nice one, good on your Dad.

On the day my son was born, by a total fluke i was wearing my rugby club (Llandeilo RFC) polo shirt, i hope its an omen, it would be great to have a 3rd generation play for one of the founder members of the WRU! Its really interesting regarding Welsh PE teachers in England, Rupert Moon, (ex Wales by adoption & Llanelli) said exactly the same thing of his time in school. My Dad is of a similar generation and nearly all the school rugby team did PE at UWIC, Loughbourough etc, Also the London Welsh team of the 70's had a very strong contingent of PE student/teachers, (Mervyn Davies, John Dawes to name but a few), there are some socio economic reasons as well, that generation were given a chance to go to college. Suddenly there were grants available.

Cheers

Aled

Was carried off against Clapton once. Joined a ruck at pace to meet somebody's fist coming the other way. You had that nice log fire if I remember rightly so spent the rest of the day warming up around that.

Log fire's still there and the chimney still doesn't work!! The club house was formed from a WW2 Battle of Britain fighter base - The runway is where the pitches are now. Would imagine that fireplace has been witness to an awful lot over the years

I've played rugby league all my life. My dad played professionally and for GB as did my uncles so it was inevitable really. When I was born he was managing a shoe making factory and got the girls on the floor to make me a pair of boots. I got my first pair of rugby boots on the day I was born!

I enjoy watching league as much as Union. Never played it but played with a number of ex league players from Oz in SG. Boy they could tackle. You'd see them lining up some poor lightweight asian and you'd be calling for the stretcher before they even hit them. Bosh

AVB jr lost 7-4. He was playing scrum half so got his hands on the ball a lot. Seemed to enjoy it.

Why did all schools in the 70's have Welsh games teachers? Was there some sort of immigration scheme going on. We were just a lowly, 3rd rate comprehensive but had this passionate Welsh games teacher. He would wander around the corridors in his muddy tracksuit and boots.

I had a welsh games teacher when i was in my first few years of high school about 5 years ago, as i recall he received alot of stick and mick taking from us and we were encouraged by the other games teachers :lol:

How the hell did you break a scrummage machine - They're flippin' indestructible!!

Always a high point when you were training after heavy rain in the freezing cold and on the first hit at the scrummage machine, all the water used to soak out of the pads all down your neck..

it wasn't a proper one, it was made of 6x2 joists, kindly donated by one of the local carpenters who i later ended up working for, i didn't mention my earlier transgression to him though. might not have gone down well.

Always a high point when you were training after heavy rain in the freezing cold and on the first hit at the scrummage machine, all the water used to soak out of the pads all down your neck.

That, on top of the highly enthusiastic second rows who used to love to bind on your shorts with a cracking handful of pubic hair at the same time, despite you desperately trying to give them your shirt.

I found the worst to be when you did that first hit on the scrum machine and bit of ice started falling down your shirt!

I had a second row who grabbed my ******* in a game, we had to pause the game whilst i gave him a string of verbal abuse, the spectators where shocked :lol: