Need help with fitting cabinet

Liam-1990

Come to fit my new 5 gun cab at my house so I can get rid of the cab at my mums and keep the guns at mine, picked a good spot for it against a solid wall came took a section of skirting board off,

marked the holes and drilled them then went to fit the rawl bolts and the wall is lined with plaster board and the adhesive is raising it about an inch from the block work so I cant get the plugs to bite without them pulling out into the plaster board,

is there a way round this without cutting the plaster board out as my house is rented and could do without removing it, I have permission to fit it but did ask if I could chop the plasterboard out.

If you are using expanding rawlbolts where you screw the bolts in to the threaded sleeves a simple way and one which I can assure you works, is to simply wrap the expending part in loo roll. One turn stops them slipping outwards before they expand to grip the masonry.

If it is the ones with the studdin and you tighten a nut on the thread this method seems not to work.

if you are useing anchor bolts , measure the gap between the back of the bolt face and the face of the expanding plug ,then cut a piece of copper pipe or plastic pipe to the measurement you took ,insert the the bolt into the sleeve and then back into the plug ,then when you tighten up the bolt the sleeve will stop the plug from coming out and it will expand in the hole and then take grip ,we do this on wall plates ,if you want PM me and i will do a photo if you want

Liam, if you go down the resin & threaded bar route, and it's a rented house as you say. When you move, rather than try and cut the threaded bar off when you're tidying the house up. If you tread two nuts onto the bar and then lock them against each other you can unscrew the bar from the resin using a spanner on the nut nearest the wall. It'll save a lot of grief with the landlord.

I rented a house for 2 yrs and that had dab and plaster - what I did was mark where cabinet was to go - I drilled three 2" holes in plasterboard - filled back of plaster up with runny dab mixture put in with mortor squeezy gun - when it was dry I used sleeve bolts - about eight evenly spaced - solid as rock - when i left it was easy to fill holes and smooth off and paint it over - couldn't tell there had been a cabinet on wall - I also put it on top of skirting board- it passed no problem.

dave

If you tread two nuts onto the bar and then lock them against each other you can unscrew the bar from the resin using a spanner on the nut nearest the wall. It'll save a lot of grief with the landlord.

Brilliant advice, thanks.

I was thinking what to do if I swap a 3 gun for a 5 gun cabinet.

• 2 weeks later...