Defending your home against the burgular !

Will Poon

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it so many people get such a massive hard-on about home defence?

Amazingly enough, most people don't think that violent, criminal scum should be able to just waltz into anybody's home and do whatever they please completely unopposed.

A persons home should be the place where they and their loved ones feel safest of all in the world. It never hurts to have a plan in place to defend it.

Amazingly enough, most people don't think that violent, criminal scum should be able to just waltz into anybody's home and do whatever they please completely unopposed.

A persons home should be the place where they and their loved ones feel safest of all in the world. It never hurts to have a plan in place to defend it.

Oh come on, it rears its head on PW from time to time and the same old walts start their handgun-toting arguments again.

You know, call me cynical, but I think a few people out there actually want someone to break in to their houses. Maybe they can sit in the dark, fingering their guns, waiting...

Read the PW history and you'll see. It's been done before many times.

PS Burglars don't waltz, they prefer the Foxtrot.

Like I said, use the search facility.

The 'what would you do when burgled' topic arrives with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season, any time this subject is in the news, whereupon a certain contingent of firearms licence holding people say things that perhaps they oughtn't.

FAOD I do not have a problem with a householder defending them and theirs reasonably. Obviously.

Well it's been nearly 24 hours since I started this topic, and if I'm mistaken the majority of us would use the shottie to defend ourselves and family if need be if we were burgled and turned nasty, every circumstance would be different of course . :)

Do you know how much kit i have piled up in front of the cabinet....i would have to ask the wife to make the burglers a cup of tea to give me time to remove everything.... :lookaround:

Reaching for an object to defend yourself is one thing, but actually planning to unlock a cabinet to grab a gun and to load it etc i think you may end up finding yourself on a fully inclusive holiday some where

By the time i have got me shottie out of the cabinet then got some ammo said scrotes will have robbed the house and be long gone.

In no way is this an ok to shoot intruders the powers that be are looking for any reason to have your cert be very carefull with this one folks

Mr Cameron said that he was more interested in defending the "rights" of homeowners rather than burglars.

“We’re saying ‘you can do anything as long as it’s not grossly disproportionate," he said. "You couldn’t, for instance, stab a burglar if they were already unconscious, but really we should be putting the law firmly on the side of the homeowner, the householder, the family, and saying ‘when that burglar crosses your threshold, invades your home, threatens your family, they give up their rights’.

"And I’m more interested in the rights of the people who want to defend their homes and their properties.”

Asked if he himself would take a "fight or flight" approach if confronted by a burglar in his home, Mr Cameron said :“I think you never know what is going to happen in those circumstances, and I’m not advising people to have a go or anything like that.

"But the fact is people need the certainty that if they were in that situation and they did have to take action to defend themselves, their families, or their properties, then the law’s on their side.

"And people aren’t clear about that at the moment, and I want them to be clear: We’re on your side, we’re not on the burglars’ side.

"What we’re doing effectively here is raising the bar, and raising the bar pretty high.”

Mr Grayling told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme: "If you’re defending your home against an intruder, I don’t want the prosecution to happen in the first place.

"If you knock the burglar out cold, they're lying on the floor, and you then stick a knife in them, I regard that as grossly disproportionate."

Reliably sourced from the telegraph

Edited by demonwolf444

He wasn't really a burglar, but I'm glad I killed him anyway

By Denys Finch-Hatton

IT was three o’clock in the morning when I heard the ominous creak of my feet on the bedroom floor.

I tiptoed slowly downstairs, thinking feverish thoughts about what was soon to occur. I opened the kitchen cupboard where I keep my shotgun, hid it inside my dressing gown, got in my car and went looking for a tramp.

It didn’t take me long to find Bobby. He was huddled under the awning of a disused petrol station and welcomed my offer of a cheese toastie, some hot coffee and a scented bath.

We talked in the car and he struck me as a decent soul to whom life had perhaps dealt an unfair hand. But thankfully his hard luck story made not the slightest dent on my conscience as I followed him up the garden path and into the house before pulling out the shotgun and blasting him in the middle of the back as soon as he reached the drawing room door.

In these situations it is vitally important to make full use of the adrenalin, so I called the police, somewhat breathlessly, and uttered the magic words: “A man’s broken into my house… I was so scared… I grabbed my gun and shot him… I think he might be dead.. I don’t know what to do.” I may even have sobbed a little.

The police were terribly understanding as Bobby was heaved into a large plastic bag, but stressed that there was a slim chance they may have to charge me with a minor assault.

I suppose there was perhaps the occasional worry at the back of my mind as I awaited my day in court. But those meagre anxieties evaporated as I was handed a one-year suspended sentence and a £200 fine.

That night I raised a glass to Bobby and imagined the two of us meeting up in heaven where I would finally get the chance to thank him for allowing me to experience the unparalleled thrill of killing a complete stranger.

And now that the government has finally seen sense and opened up this glorious opportunity to everyone, perhaps, just perhaps Britain could be on the road back to decency and, dare I say it, a little bit of common sense.

I suspect that Bobby would agree.

Courtesy of The Daily Mash

Edited by happypig

Guest cookoff013

He wasn't really a burglar, but I'm glad I killed him anyway

By Denys Finch-Hatton

IT was three o'clock in the morning when I heard the ominous creak of my feet on the bedroom floor.

I tiptoed slowly downstairs, thinking feverish thoughts about what was soon to occur. I opened the kitchen cupboard where I keep my shotgun, hid it inside my dressing gown, got in my car and went looking for a tramp.

It didn't take me long to find Bobby. He was huddled under the awning of a disused petrol station and welcomed my offer of a cheese toastie, some hot coffee and a scented bath.

We talked in the car and he struck me as a decent soul to whom life had perhaps dealt an unfair hand. But thankfully his hard luck story made not the slightest dent on my conscience as I followed him up the garden path and into the house before pulling out the shotgun and blasting him in the middle of the back as soon as he reached the drawing room door.

In these situations it is vitally important to make full use of the adrenalin, so I called the police, somewhat breathlessly, and uttered the magic words: "A man's broken into my house… I was so scared… I grabbed my gun and shot him… I think he might be dead.. I don't know what to do." I may even have sobbed a little.

The police were terribly understanding as Bobby was heaved into a large plastic bag, but stressed that there was a slim chance they may have to charge me with a minor assault.

I suppose there was perhaps the occasional worry at the back of my mind as I awaited my day in court. But those meagre anxieties evaporated as I was handed a one-year suspended sentence and a £200 fine.

That night I raised a glass to Bobby and imagined the two of us meeting up in heaven where I would finally get the chance to thank him for allowing me to experience the unparalleled thrill of killing a complete stranger.

And now that the government has finally seen sense and opened up this glorious opportunity to everyone, perhaps, just perhaps Britain could be on the road back to decency and, dare I say it, a little bit of common sense.

I suspect that Bobby would agree.

Courtesy of The Daily Mash

" need to prove he has broken into the house"

if there is no evidence of a break in there are serious issues.

crazy

I follow a number of American forums where HD ("Home Defense") crops up quite often.

Two quotes are memorable:

[a] Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

By the way, in the Ferrie case, was any mention made of hearing damage? As I understand it, the shot was fired indoors.

Regards,

Mark.