Starting age

Cornishfowler

I was 11 when I first started on the foreshore with my 'tutor' so I'm in my 15th season, and i was 14 when I was out by myself. My son started coming out at 6, not to shoot, he enjoys being under the birds. Hopefully next season he will be out there shooting with me (he'll be 9 and I'll only take him to the solid parts with decoys so he gets some easy shots)!

i was 11 when i started going out with my uncle, i had been shooting rabbits with an air rifle for a couple of years before that. when i was 13 i got a SGC so that i could use the single 20 bore that my uncle had. that was at the start of the 96/97 season and looking back in my diary i had 2 mallard and a greylag for that whole season. when i think back i feel bad for my uncle because i would phone every single friday night without fail to see if we were shooting on the saturday, he must have had a lot of patience with me.

I was about 10 i think when i started to pinch the old fellas air rifle and go and shoot magpies and crows around the farm, blasting holes in all the tin roofs and tractor tyres. I'm now 28 and still loving it as much as them younger days. Had a proper go at fowling in the mud on the solway when i was 15 but due to work and alot of moving about i've only just managed to join a club and get into it properly last year.

As Aister says i've been lucky to have had alot of patient people put up with me pestering them over the years aswell. I once lost the oars to my dads boat when i was about 13 on a trip down the eden to the marsh and used his 10 bore as a replacement oar to get back. All i really remember is the size 12 rigger boot coming into contact with my backside when i got home haha