what's your chosen quarry Ducks& Geese

washwildfowler

As above, I use Gamebore Super Steel 32g No.3s for duck and I think teal is THE best tasting fowl on our shores :good:

Gamebore 3's for me also. Teal breast is good eating but you cannot feed the whole family on an odd teal, you need a good bag of them. Great sport they offer but only appear faster than a goose due to thier diminutive size. Comming off the marsh with one pink is a lot more worthwhile than a brace of teal. I had a few flights last season were i shot just one teal, it appeared on my returns like i was bringing one with me to prevent a blank its a bit disapointing that you bothered with the shot walking off with one small duck i actually feel a little guilty about killing it then. But like i say a single goose is another story- you dont want a bagfull of them. for me it has to be a pink as much as i like teal, it sets my soul in gear when i hear the "wink-wink" call and spot a skien heading my way- even if it passes high or wide the anticipation crouching face down in a gutter is something all those who chase wild quarry should try

2 quick questions guys !

What shot size do you prefer for duck and what is the nicest eating water fowl to be had on our shores ? I've only ever had mallard and once goose but I have no idea what breed of goose it was but it was great eating !

ATB

Matt

:hmm: Take it you did not shoot the goose yourself ?

HTWH, no I didnt I was down at lulworth cove at the army ranges with work and was staying in a hotel and ate it in a resuturant (lulworth beach hotel) in lulworth cove !

ATB

Matt

Would have been a reared goose in that case. It's illegal to sell the wild ones in any form

Duck are my prefered quarry, and trying to pick a fav out of them its extremely hard. When the Widgeon arrive on our local washes its absolutely fantastic. To hear that magical whistle during a morning or evening flight is hard to beat. Teal seem popular on this thread and for obvious reasons. A stunning bird, a great sporting quarry,and tastes argueably the best.

Pochard,Gadwall,Mallard,Shoveller, all birds for the bag and birds which we are lucky to get in numbers on the Wash.

But just edging it for me is the drake Pintail. A superb looking bird and a bird which we normally dont have in great numbers.

To witness these Pintails for some reason definately stirs my soul!.

I'm happy with whatever comes my way whilst at home, but i will only travel really far for geese, the calling, the skeins, the huge estuaries just cannot be beaten, I will never tire of the pure thrill that geese induce when they are heading your way on the foreshore, I enjoy the duck but they just cannot compete with the geese for me.

When it comes to eating it depends on what the duck are feeding on. Teal are usually good , but when I was a kid I used to shoot them off a settling pool from a farmyard. The were very strong tasting to say the least. I used to give most away. Wigeon can be a bit rank when feeding on Zos , but are very good when feeding on grass. Mallard are usually the best eating to my taste. I do not think there is a lot of difference between the taste of the various geese , but i have yet to have had a tough canada , unlike some of the greylags and pink feet I have eaten.

When it comes to eating it depends on what the duck are feeding on. Teal are usually good , but when I was a kid I used to shoot them off a settling pool from a farmyard. The were very strong tasting to say the least. I used to give most away. Wigeon can be a bit rank when feeding on Zos , but are very good when feeding on grass. Mallard are usually the best eating to my taste. I do not think there is a lot of difference between the taste of the various geese , but i have yet to have had a tough canada , unlike some of the greylags and pink feet I have eaten.

Yes it does depend on what they have fed on, generally most taste so much better off the saltmarsh than inland i find.