Winchester Shotgun

neil3728

i am looking at buying a second hand Winchester select 12g shotgun.

it has a serial number 13BZZ01523

The barrel states its 3" with invector chokes. What I can't see is if this gun is steel proofed or not. i can't find any marks stating one way or another.

Can anyone help.

If the gun is not steel proofed is nthat going to reduce any shooting that i might fancy doing in the future. looking to shoot clays and prgeon's really.

If you are really going for pigeons/clays then not an issue...unless you are playing the long game and are worrying about lead bans?...I would suspect as it is 3inch chambered it is magnum proofed and steel...BUT I DO NOT KNOW THIS. If you are buying from a shop ask them the question.

Neil,

get the gunshop to do you a deal on a guncase and cleaning kit if it is not already included.The bisley type cleaning kits@ £30 come with all you need and instructions.For carrying gun in car always break it down and gun case by far best way to transport for both security and protection for the gun from knocks etc..

good luck with it.

atb

Is there any books that are worth reading about gun care and gun transpotation. Still confused about carrying the gun in the boot of a car.

whats to confuse, put gun in slip in shop, carry to car put in the back. Drive home get gun out and put in safe it really is that simple.

what happens if I need to stop on way from gun shop to home. I have read i can leave the gun in car aslong as car in alarmed for a short period of time and the case is out if site. How long is classed as a short period of time? if I put part of the gun in a bag and carry that with me leaving the rest of the gun in the car, is that okay.

This is obvioulsy my first gun and don't want to fall fowl of the law.

Edited by neil3728

You can take the fore end of and carry it with you in a bag so its out of sight from prying eyes, just don't forget it when you return to the car, would not let any one see you messing around in the boot with it or they may get the wrong idea. I always use either a gun slip or its abs case or a bag of some sort so the gun can not seen by equisitative eyes.

One option which some FEO's may like is a steel flexibe rope (plastic coated to protect your gun) passed through trigger gaurd and pad locked to one of the lugage eyes in the boot, some cars have nice strong eyes, while some are a bit less strong. You can still zip up the gun slip with the right rope and lock.

Another option is get a napier secure gun slip at I think about £120 (though you would need to check the price, these have a steel plate and u shaped eye that passes through the guns trigger and through the slip so you can then chain and padlock this to a secure point.

Also another option is to put a trigger lock on which is about £10 which fits over both sides of the trigger and gaurd, though this still leaves the gun free to be removed easily from the boot.

Thanks for all he ideas. Bought he gun this afternoon Got them to throw in a cleaning kit, but did buy a skeet vest as well.

The gun came with a hard case and a trigger lock. The car has some strong tie down points so ill look into some sort of cable fastener.

Thanks for all he ideas. Bought he gun this afternoon Got them to throw in a cleaning kit, but did buy a skeet vest as well.

The gun came with a hard case and a trigger lock. The car has some strong tie down points so ill look into some sort of cable fastener.

Congrats on getting the gun, at a guess the hard case is the standard ABS case where it stores the gun in its break down format, if so you might find it easier to use a gun slip especially when carrying around between stands. You should be able to pick reasonable ones from £35 +,

Edited by BerettaSV10