How to remove pitting from barrels

THE GRIFF

My sxs has a bit of pitting about 1/3 of the down on the inside of both barrels. I have tried spinning a brass brush on a drill up an down the barrel slowly and it won't touch it.

What else can I do to try and remove it?

I like the gun as it is an ideal all rounder as it is chambered for 3 inch but doesn't wiegh a ton.

Or is this a job for a gunsmith?

had the same thing in my barrells after 30 years of shooting, best to get it done now before the pits/scrubbing gets any worse...its called "bore honing" and all good gunsmiths do it...it dosnt cost much and will bring the bores back to new condition, if you leave it any longer it wont be honing you want it will be skimming and that gets more expensive and maybe re-proofing..............

had the same thing in my barrells after 30 years of shooting, best to get it done now before the pits/scrubbing gets any worse...its called "bore honing" and all good gunsmiths do it...it dosnt cost much and will bring the bores back to new condition, if you leave it any longer it wont be honing you want it will be skimming and that gets more expensive and maybe re-proofing..............

Thanks Ditchman

Is the "honing" something I can do myself, what would I need to be able to do it?

Thanks Ditchman

Is the "honing" something I can do myself, what would I need to be able to do it?

Well, funnily enough you'd need a honing tool. It's a simple but precise job - I'd honestly recommend you let a gunsmith carry out the work unless you have experience of that type of work.

Well, funnily enough you'd need a honing tool. It's a simple but precise job - I'd honestly recommend you let a gunsmith carry out the work unless you have experience of that type of work.

Just had a look on YouTube, there seems to be different types of honing tools, some are like a brush and some are a rod with cutting stones.

I wouldn't fancy attempting the cutting stone type but may get away with the brush type with a type of polishing compound.

Just had a look on YouTube, there seems to be different types of honing tools, some are like a brush and some are a rod with cutting stones.

I wouldn't fancy attempting the cutting stone type but may get away with the brush type with a type of polishing compound.

Do yourself a favour get the gun examined by a gunsmith ( the skilled tradesman , not merely an employere of a gunshop). within 30 seconds he will give you an apraisal of how bad it is and what can be done (and the apraisial should be free ). Unless the gun needs sleeving the repair shouldn't cost more than a slab of cartridges

As a chap who is fairly handy with Mechanical objects I agree its enjoyable to get involved with work on a firearm but if its work on a pressure bearing part get advice from a professional in person . Ignore the **** on U Tube- he wont take responsibility if you loose your fingers or sight following a barrel fracture.

Do yourself a favour get the gun examined by a gunsmith ( the skilled tradesman , not merely an employere of a gunshop). within 30 seconds he will give you an apraisal of how bad it is and what can be done (and the apraisial should be free ). Unless the gun needs sleeving the repair shouldn't cost more than a slab of cartridges

As a chap who is fairly handy with Mechanical objects I agree its enjoyable to get involved with work on a firearm but if its work on a pressure bearing part get advice from a professional in person . Ignore the **** on U Tube- he wont take responsibility if you loose your fingers or sight following a barrel fracture.

agreed! sound advice.

i work on all my own guns, but when it comes to pressure bearing parts, i'll take a back seat thank you! lol. at least untill i have learnt a little more anyway....

Ignore the **** on U Tube- he wont take responsibility if you loose your fingers or sight following a barrel fracture.

Yep, and not only that, if we start to think that we could possibly do some of this and similar work as rank amateurs we'll relieve the 'smiths of there bread and butter work. Then, when we've got a jam job, we may just find that the 'smiths have all shut up shop due to lack of business.