Cz .223 527 ??

mad1

I've not got the varmint barrel on mine but I believe it's the same 1:12" twist. Mine shoots all Federal ammo I've tried from 40grn to 55grn be it softpoint or ballistic tipped with great accuracy. Last check zero conducted quickly off the wing mirror acheived three rounds on the shoot n see target that I only needed one small patch (roughly 1p size) to cover at 100yds. I've tried Norma 50grn's but they didn't group anywhere near as well as the Federals. I've stuck with 40grn Federal ballistic's with a 200yd zero which puts them just over an inch high at 100yds.

The set trigger is a useable feature but I personally wouldn't use it in the field as it is so sensitive. On the range it would be very useful. The trigger itself seems to have a decent range of adjustment and is fully tuneable.

Edited by Gregthegreat

both twists are available the kevlar varmint has 1-9 and the std wood 1-12 i think. The 527 is although widely sold still one of the most underrated centrefires in the UK. Either will shoot the 55grn (depending on brand) but the 1-9 will also handle the heavier .224 bullets available. If its only ever going to fire 55's there is nothing wrong with 1-12

Edited by kent

Just bought a cz 527 kevlar 24" varmint barrel 1:9" twist rifle with a ase northstar mod. on with setting it up at the moment need more range time. Using ppu 55gr at the moment and its zeroed at 100yrds as dont have the distance available without disturbing the neighbours. Getting a 3 shot half inch group at 100yrds,by a novice. we stuck around 12 bullets on a machbox size area between two different shooters also. I think in the hands of the right man this riffle would put bullet on bullet at 100yrds ammo and conditions permitting. The rifle itself seams very well made and the coatings,fittings,mechanical parts and fit seam very well produced. This rifle will be a keeper for me.

Thanks for your input so far !! So you would recomend a 200 yd zero which gives 1" high at 100 yd using 40gr ballistic

Just so I can stock up on them

For foxing, personally yes due to the flatter trajectory. Ammo choice is often a personal thing though so I'd suggest buying a few different weights/brands and trialling them.

Thanks for your input so far !! So you would recomend a 200 yd zero which gives 1" high at 100 yd using 40gr ballistic

I set zero at 100yds because I will not be shooting foxes much more than that. My personal furthest fox was 210yds with 40g and straight shot.

They will shoot 55gn SP OK though I'm assuming?

Not the best test I know, but mine is a 1-12 Lux and the only 55's I have shot through it were AE FMJ's, and they shotgunned at 100 yards.

Other than that it is consistently accurate, and remains a firm favourite of mine and any one else who shoots it.

Bit agricultural maybe if you are being hyper critical, but like their rimfires, they get the job done.

I wouldn't stock up on anything until you have tried them!

The 40g have a use and fly flat for a while but then run out of steam. Twist rates are important as a guide, but individual barrels often throw the unexpected at you as well.

My .223 T3 Lite Stainless is 1-8, it shoots everything between 40-80g well but I major on 50-55g V-Max or SP! :good:

I wouldn't stock up on anything until you have tried them!

The 40g have a use and fly flat for a while but then run out of steam. Twist rates are important as a guide, but individual barrels often throw the unexpected at you as well.

My .223 T3 Lite Stainless is 1-8, it shoots everything between 40-80g well but I major on 50-55g V-Max or SP! :good:

I agree, if I was going to push it any further I would use 50g

Does the CZ one have that hair trigger feature where you push it forward? I know the 243 does.

The single set trigger is the norm i think but you can get a non set trigger via special order. Note: if you need to make the gun safe after setting the trigger engage safety, pointing in a safe direction now press the trigger- the gun should not go off

For some reason these are not fashionable rifles, and they are much underrated in my experience.

Fine bits of kit but personally I have no use for heavy barrels for field use!

:good:

The varmint in the 527 aint a heavy gun and can be shot off hand by any healthy bloke, shoten the tube some and its very handy with a moddy on aswell. Compared to my 308 varmint Remington 700 pss scoped up that weighed 15 1/2 lb without a moddy, its a featherweight and Albert888's is lighter than the average .243 sporter i recon before he put the moddy on