price of 410 cartridges

hi all ,after seeing the post on the 410 no4 enfield ,i thought humm my lass could do with a 410 as she want to go shooting with me , i then started looking at 410 shotguns ,yes you can get a cheap webley for £50 ,i knew back some many years ago when i had a 410 the carts were dear and they still are ,well my point is why are you paying more money for something that

has half the amount of plastic / powder / and lead in them ?? sorry if this has been up on PW before its a big forum ,,

The .410 really is a good little gun to start loading yourself. As you say they use very little consumables and it's not too hard so I'm led to believe.

I'm on the lookout for an old school reloader for mine. As soon as I find one on the cheap I'm going to give it a try.

Eley four longs are £5.50 at my local and fiocchi magnum 19g no6 are £65 for 250.

I've said before people look at it as in terms of grs of lead for x amount I look at it as 250 shots for x amount. I've paid more than £65 for 250 12b shells and shot less than with the .410 shells I paid the same amount for. It's not how much lead that's in the cartridge that counts its where you point it.

I love .410's!

Eley four longs are £5.50 at my local and fiocchi magnum 19g no6 are £65 for 250.

I've said before people look at it as in terms of grs of lead for x amount I look at it as 250 shots for x amount. I've paid more than £65 for 250 12b shells and shot less than with the .410 shells I paid the same amount for. It's not how much lead that's in the cartridge that counts its where you point it.

I love .410's!

iam not disputing what you can do with a 410 ,it was the amount of money for half the goods :rolleyes:

I pay around £10 more per slab for my .410's than I do my 12's always thought the same, half the materials and all....

I certainly see reloading these as a cost effective way of keeping mine fed, that and I love the idea of producing my own tailor made carts

Just read that back Pete it did seem a bit nobbish, sorry mate.

I do agree prices are high but until we start using them in equal quantities to 12g were all stuck with it, it's a shame though as like you say half the lead you'd expect to pay less.

as i said mate i just try to think of it in terms of 250 shots for x amount and it keeps my simple mind happy.

I've got a couple of .410's and I really like them. Light to carry, effective, quiet and not as common as a 12.

But I do resent the cartridge prices. I pay £6.50 per box, which is a bit more than the equivalent 12 bore cartridges. The fact that you have half of everything in them is what annoys me, they should be half price.

A great cartridge to use, but terrible value for money. If they were half the price, I'd happily use them much much more. Supply and demand though, it's not about to change.

Just read that back Pete it did seem a bit nobbish, sorry mate.

I do agree prices are high but until we start using them in equal quantities to 12g were all stuck with it, it's a shame though as like you say half the lead you'd expect to pay less.

as i said mate i just try to think of it in terms of 250 shots for x amount and it keeps my simple mind happy.

no worrys bud

In 1964, Eley 'Extra Long' .410 were 19s 6d for 25. (98pence), Eley 'Grand Prix' 12 gauge 30 gram were 15s 0d (75pence) for 25. It has always been this way.

You might even have to break in to that white fiver soon

Look around some good gunshops are £54 a slab

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter