wax slug shells

Anyone that wants to try this "experiment" should be free to do so - but should fill in an Organ Donor card first.

All their useful parts could then be recycled, with the probable exception of their eyes - they'd be a bit too damaged after being blown out of their heads and rolling about on the ground.

The other un usable part would be the brain as it obviously must have been severely damaged in the first place !.

A few thought for the OP to think about!

Surely anything that comes out of the end of the barrel of a shotgun in one solid piece would class as Section 1 Ammunition and would have to be listed on your certificate, no matter if it were shot held together with wax, glue or whatever, by converting "standard shot" to a "solid mass" you are straight away breaking the law. - Do you really value your SGC/FAC that little?

Then add to that the risk of things going wrong by tampering with shotgun shells - Blown Barrels and/or Personal Injury to you and possibily anyone around you at the time - Do you really value yours and other peoples safety or lives that little?

OK, so we have established that there are legalities and dangers involved and assuming that you want to ignore them what about the possibility of using a Single Slug Mould as has been suggested? Even if you managed to get Single Slug listed on your ticket along with Section 1 Ammunition have you stopped to think what you would use these Single Slugs for? On my certificate I have Single Slug listed for use when PSG shooting - And that is the limit of it! There may be certain circumstances where you are allowed to use them for other purposes but as Section 1 Ammunition surely you would have to have them listed on your certificate or you would be holding and using Section 1 Ammunition illegally? (I could be wrong here, and if I am someone will no doubt correct this section)

Let's ask a question, even if you want to try using cartridges held together with wax or proper Single Slug cartridges what are you going to use them for? I would assume that you might be thinking of trying them on fox! If that is the case have you put any thought into accuracy? For fox shooting with a shotgun I would suggest that single slug through a non rifled barrel is not a viable option as there are accuracy issues that you need to think about. I like to think that I am "reasonable" with a shotgun but i tried using single slugs through my Section 1 shotgun and although I could sometimes hit a 4 inch clay at about 70 yards I found that there was far too much inconsistency to want to even think about using it on any live quarry. Let's assume that you can get a fairly tight spread with a 3" magnum 12 bore cartridge loaded with BB shot - That could be calssed as "reasonable" to drop Charlie - But have you thought about the consequences of using a single slug on a fox at that range? The possibility of inaccuracies (Especially if you are shooting under a lamp) are far too much to think about. If your shot is just 3 or 4 inches off target you could well be talking about blowing Charlie's leg clean off and leaving him to get to cover only to die a very painful death. - Is that how you and your shooting want to be portrayed?

All in all, why not leave these silly "Waxed Cartrirges" and "Cut down shells with single slugs" to the clowns that make these videos. Stick to factory loads (Unless you load your own and have a loading data book) and use the correct cartridges with the correct sized shot for the quarry you are after.

You know it makes sence and surely your Life and Certificate is surely worth at least that much!

Edited by Frenchieboy

When I read on here of some of the things that people get up to it reminds me of my youth, I'm seventy two now coming up to seventy three, still with all my fingers, toes and eyesight.

What amazes me is the reaction of some of the others that read it.

Between the ages of thirteen and fifteen I must have blown up, blown down, shot at and used so many different types of ammo in so many different guns, bows and arrows, catapults and tobacco tins full of cordite, pipes full of gunpowder and even ballons full of petrol.

There was so much lying around among ex home guard folk and propped up in barns that I would have been a right numpty not to have been inquisitive.

I must admit not a lot of people knew what I was up to but several did, but their only reaction was to say 'oh well he'll learn'

and I did, how to do these things under reasonably safe conditions purely by trial and error using common sense.

I think if you look back over History most modern things were learnt or invented by people taking chances, but then again we were a different breed in my youth, we didn't have games consoles, PCs and such things, we made our own 'entertainment' with what was available.

Incidentally, the use of wax to bind shot or to cut around the cartridge case leaving 1/4" holding it together was one of the tricks taught by the Home Guard for home defence should we be invaded by the Germans during WW2.

That of course was if the standard issue 1oz ball cartridge was in short supply.

I hear what you are saying, but for every advance in early explosives technology, or I'd wager there would be a fair few people missing bits, or plain dead. I bet there were also a good number of young lads just like you were(and I speak as someone who did a few hair raising things as a teenager) who carry the scars of such experimentation going wrong.

The point people have been trying to make is that whilst you may well get away without injury, it just isnt worth the risk.

When I read on here of some of the things that people get up to it reminds me of my youth, I'm seventy two now coming up to seventy three, still with all my fingers, toes and eyesight.

Between the ages of thirteen and fifteen I must have blown up, blown down, shot at and used so many different types of ammo in so many different guns, bows and arrows, catapults and tobacco tins full of cordite, pipes full of gunpowder and even ballons full of petrol.

There was so much lying around among ex home guard folk and propped up in barns that I would have been a right numpty not to have been inquisitive.

I must admit not a lot of people knew what I was up to but several did, but their only reaction was to say 'oh well he'll learn'

and I did, how to do these things under reasonably safe conditions purely by trial and error using common sense.

I think if you look back over History most modern things were learnt or invented by people taking chances, but then again we were a different breed in my youth, we didn't have games consoles, PCs and such things, we made our own 'entertainment' with what was available.

Incidentally, the use of wax to bind shot or to cut around the cartridge case leaving 1/4" holding it together was one of the tricks taught by the Home Guard for home defence should we be invaded by the Germans during WW2.

That of course was if the standard issue 1oz ball cartridge was in short supply.

i was only pondering with the thought after seeing it on youtube, thats why i posted to see what the ( so called experts) thought on here and see there thoughts. i have to admit that theres lots of members on here with vast knowledge and intelligence when it comes to ballistics and so on and the info is great :good: the only problem is that theres too many members with high horses and large mouths. Thats why pw loses members far too quick than it gains lately. :hmm:

The point people have been trying to make is that whilst you may well get away without injury, it just isnt worth the risk.

That's the whole point in a nut shell!

You really need to ask yourself just one simple question - Is it really worth risking your life (And maybe the lives of others) just for the sake of doing it?

'Frenchieboy' timestamp='1349857646' post='1926681

Surely anything that comes out of the end of the barrel of a shotgun in one solid piece would class as Section 1 Ammunition and would have to be listed on your certificate, no matter if it were shot held together with wax, glue or whatever, by converting "standard shot" to a "solid mass" you are straight away breaking the law. - Do you really value your SGC/FAC that little?

While considering this an idiotic thing to do i'm not convinced that this would be illegal. I would agree that at best it is a circumvention of the law which is designed to descriminate slug or "multi slug" ammo as section 1 and other shottie ammo as uncertificated. The reference in the firearms act is to six or more shot not exceeding .36"it does not make any reference to how the shot are wadded , held in the cartridge case etc.

Certainly the spirit of the law is that slug requires section 1 and clearly this is a an attempt to alter shotgun ammo so that it has slug like properties but i dont think the act is constructed such that this would be illegal

Then add to that the risk of things going wrong by tampering with shotgun shells - Blown Barrels and/or Personal Injury to you and possibily anyone around you at the time - Do you really value yours and other peoples safety or lives that little?

Agreed!

Let's ask a question, even if you want to try using cartridges held together with wax or proper Single Slug cartridges what are you going to use them for? I would assume that you might be thinking of trying them on fox! ....................

don't be silly the OP wants them for Burgulars and cyclists :hmm::no::lol:

I think we've all done daft things at some point in our youth. Some of us were lucky, some not, to varying degrees. A few didn't live to regret their inquisitiveness.

Every summer I regularly encounter a man who's about the same age as I. He comes back home for a few weeks to visit his relatives. He always has a good-looking, well-trained Labrador with him - because he has been completely blind since his teenage attempt at making his own fireworks.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the laws of the land were a bit more tolerant of youthful inventors and experimenters back when we were young, all those years ago.

I hear what you are saying, but for every advance in early explosives technology, or I'd wager there would be a fair few people missing bits, or plain dead. I bet there were also a good number of young lads just like you were(and I speak as someone who did a few hair raising things as a teenager) who carry the scars of such experimentation going wrong.

i went to school with a lad that use to play about with his dads 12g carts then one day we were all sat down in Assembly too be told he had blown 3 of his fingers of and wont be back at school for a month

colin

When I was younger I set off the primer on an empty 12g in a vice with a hammer and mini screwdriver. I ended up with the end of the screwdriver sticking out of my knuckle and bits of primer embedded here and there, thought it could have just as easily been an eye.

I learned a very valuable lesson that day about not being an idiot with cartridges or components.

When I was younger I set off the primer on an empty 12g in a vice with a hammer and mini screwdriver. I ended up with the end of the screwdriver sticking out of my knuckle and bits of primer embedded here and there, thought it could have just as easily been an eye.

I learned a very valuable lesson that day about not being an idiot with cartridges or components.

too true :good: :good: :good:

colin