which moderator for my .222

colin lad

There are plenty out there and plenty of prices.

Personally I consider the P8 COMPACT offers a good package of suppression, size, weight, price, its easy to strip and clean and easy to convert to other calibres (should you so wish)!

Not a whole lot to choose between any of them in performance, it gets personal. :good:

i think i paid about £250 but its all stainless steel no you cant strip it but ive never needed to its had over 1000 rounds thrugh it.

origanally i was looking at a over barrle mod but was advised aganst it by a exalent gun smith.and i have been asked what mod it was a couple of times as its so quiet

Edited by fruitloop

so when i go to get screw cut done are there different size screw fittings or are they universal ??

colin

There are several, the most common in the UK for this calibre would be 1/2"UNF.

EDIT

This will just give you an idea of the threads about and the number of different calibre inserts available (for some mods)

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/sound_moderators.htm

Edited by Dekers

Indeed there are different threads, at a guess 1/2 unf I think is pretty common. Cost is another matter there isn't much choice under £200 but worth looking second hand and checking where you get it cut doesn't have any about. As said the compact wildcat is worth a look if you can find one or a decent condition T8

i think i paid about £250 but its all stainless steel no you cant strip it but ive never needed to its had over 1000 rounds thrugh it.

origanally i was looking at a over barrle mod but was advised aganst it by a exalent gun smith.and i have been asked what mod it was a couple of times as its so quiet

Can i ask why a over barrle mod but was advised aganst it by a exalent gun smith?

If you are likely to fire several shots in succesion I would not advise the ally models. They heat up very quickly and "miraging" will obscure the scope image.

If you are just foxing then it should not be an issue.

Personally I would go for a Stainless steel moderator. Marginally heavier but no risk of corrosion.

I would be annoyed if I found a T8. Nasty tinny rotbox barrel eating piece of junk and not that much cheaper than something that will last forever.

T8's are fine if you take them off and clean fairly regularly, no problems here with over barrel mods either. Both my .223 and .243 have them with no effects on accuracy. The one thing to remember is take the mod off after every use and don't store with it on

At the end of the day they all have good and bad points.

I have an Ase utra jet which is over the barrel but does not require bushing ,I switch it between my .270 and 243, I've also tried it on my 22.250, the latter seems better balanced with a T8 which is also bushed for the .270.

The choice is endless.

Would be interested to know what you go for in the end and why.

It damages the bluing on the barrel on the rifle and not as quiet as a end can

that doesnt make any sense

the larger internal volume of the overbarrel mods gives much better sound reducing characteristics compared to smaller muzzle mounted one.

most relevant here is internal bore.

get one that is as small as possible if you can.

i use a PES T12 Scout. shorter than the standard PES overbarrels.

mine has a 6.5mm bore and I use it on everything from .243 down to .17M2/HMR

on the .243 in direct comparison it kicks the **** of all the ASE Ultras and 3rd eye mods in the same calibre. (we had this on a range with 4 rifles side by side)

on the .222 it is actually quieter than the when on the WMR (more or a bass crack than a sharp crack)

not shceap but stainless and strippable

give Steve Kershaw a ring, he has a range

the larger internal volume of the overbarrel mods gives much better sound reducing characteristics compared to smaller muzzle mounted one.

on the .243 in direct comparison it kicks the **** of all the ASE Ultras and 3rd eye mods in the same calibre. (we had this on a range with 4 rifles side by side)

on the .222 it is actually quieter than the when on the WMR (more or a bass crack than a sharp crack)

I went the other way I sold my t12 scout and bought a ase northstar. Never regretted it once!

it was steve that advised me on the mod

as i was looking at a over barrle mod origanly but was advised agansed them

Edited by fruitloop