skeet/trap shotguns for the field

rjm365

was speaking to a guy today at the robin hood game and country fair in newark, who regulary uses a skeet semi auto for game and pigeons - he says he finds them lighter and easier to adjust to passing shots.

are there any pro's or con's in using skeet shotguns ?

-his shot gun was a remington 1100 skeet - 26" barrel 3 shot

Edited by rjm365

Horses for courses in my oppinion. I used to own a 26" nikko o/u choked skeet and skeet. Shot aswell with that as any other gun iv owned. The obvious benefits i found were that it was fast handling. (fast swing) a great hide gun, same go's for the choke it was choked skeet yet still killed cleanly at 40yards with clear pigeon 32g 6s. If im honest chokes dont mater too much if your on it you will kill it!

cheers carl

Guest cookoff013

a tiny amount of choke can do wonders. skeet usually can put a much better pattern in comparison to cyl.

cartridges make the difference. but then so does the person.

My hide gun is the cheapest and oldest shotgun that I have ever bought. It is a 1974 Miroku 800S skeet gun with 26 inch barrels and skeet chokes. It is great for pigeons/crows out to well over 30 yards with No. 6 shot, any further and I tend to use 32g of No. 5, particularly if crows are on the target list. I also use this gun for clay shooting, i.e., Skeet, Sporting, Simulated Grouse, High Tower etc. Definitely worth a try!

Chris

John Ruffer swore by true cylinder and 7s,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Shooting-Major-J-E-M-Ruffer/dp/B004K2SBJ6

His theory was that multiple hits from small shot would kill cleanly out to 40 yards. I used a Miroku 700 skeet gun for a number of years in the early and mid 70s. Every drive and/or flight I always had pricked birds, or always seemed to. Probably me with the pattern in the wrong place but I switched to 1/4 and 1/2 with 6s which improved things no end. These days I use 5s in 1/4 + 1/2 mainly and rarely have a runner.

In conclusion I would suggest that very open chokes and small shot can work, up to about 30 yards, over that then at least use 5 shot.

A

Nothing wrong with skeet or trap guns for game, unless you're carrying them on foot for miles and miles!

Far better to shoot with the gun you are most familar with than swap to an 'occassional' game gun, you'll hit more.

I used to shoot pigeons with a Winchester 101 Skeet for years and it did the business just fine.