Gay fine ?

philscreens

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they would have just booked somewhere else, which is exactly what these two should have done.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Yes, the discrimination laws were broken but to be paid compensation for 'injury to feelings' is pretty lame. They must realise that not everyone likes or condones their way of life. Their 'feelings' must be in constant turmoil. :ermm:

I fully understand that lots of people don't like the fact that I shoot and kill things. Are my 'feelings' injured? Are they ****!!

Some people need to get a grip.

My personal view is i do not understand the whole gay thing and do not think it's normal. That said, i would not want to see anyone abused or persecuted for their sexual, religious or cultural beliefs. live and let live.

If someone is getting a beating for being gay, i would be the first to wade in and help, my 7 yr old may com eback in 15 years time and introduce her girlfriend to us, we have no choice over which way the switch is going to flick.

BUT..... and it is a big BUT, in the eyes of the law, if you operate a B & B or any business that offers a sevice to the public, then you cannot discriminate.

"Are you a gun owner sir".... "yes i am".... "sorry sir, then i can't offer you a bed for the night"

Would wind most of us up but it's the same principle.

A private house is a different matter.

I believe the state is wrong to push same sex marriage within church as a statute, it should be down to the church to decide.

Agree with a lot of what you say Poontang, but if they were the only B & B. There should have been a very small fine but i think they have been made an example of .

I believe the state is wrong to push same sex marriage within church as a statute, it should be down to the church to decide.

they are? As far as i know any and all proposed legislation regarding same sex marriage has said that it's down to the churches.

Edited by gazzthompson

Relatively small price. How much do you think they should have been fined !

I hope they can declare themselves bankrupt and not hand over a red cent

It was compensation, not a fine.

£3,600 is hardly much considering they are essentially saying to people 'because of who you are, not by choice but by birth you cannot be a customer of my business'. £10k might make others think hard about their policies.

the problem is people aggressively defending their right to be gay and going after anyone who doesn't agree. In this case the couple were persecuted for their beliefs and that is wrong, I'd chip in a tenner for their appeal if a fund was started as it is a load of ********. My mum does B&B and she could easily have the same issue as she sure wouldn't go along with it.

Gazz, will need to research that one, if i am wrong then apologoes to all, my understanding is that Cameron wants it on the statute books.

Very good point Al4x, but this has been the Tatchell and Stonewall agenda for some time. If everyone just went about their lives quietly, there would be a lot less agression around the whole thing.

The B & B owners were defending their beliefs which i would also chip into to defend, but they were breaking the law... We might not like that bit of the law but we cannot pick and choose.

Realistically its easier if they check the guests staying in future and when its two blokes they just need to say they are full on that date. One thing is for sure they might as well shut as they will have plenty of gays trying to see if they have changed their policy and kick them while they are down.

What seems to have been lost in amongst the whole gay thing is that the owners say that they wouldn't let unmarried straight couples share a double bed either.

its an interesting point that, i have not picked up on this before, but i suspect that for someone with such strongly held religious views a gay marriage would not have made the situation acceptable.

I think if you run a business dealing with the public then you need to put personal views aside. If you are that sensitive, then do something else for a living. to take a 'religious' stance to justify discrimination and expect this to be ratified by the courts is a best naive.

Yes, the discrimination laws were broken but to be paid compensation for 'injury to feelings' is pretty lame. They must realise that not everyone likes or condones their way of life. Their 'feelings' must be in constant turmoil. :ermm:

I fully understand that lots of people don't like the fact that I shoot and kill things. Are my 'feelings' injured? Are they ****!!

Bang on Mate ,

What about the feelings of the B&B owners, if they didn't feel comfy with a pair of ******** in there house thats up to them, put should they be fined!!!!!!! Maybe it hurts there feelings, but oh no "you musnt hurt the ******* feelings" but its ok to hurt normal christian peoples feelings "sod the christian couples feelings" the ******** and freaks come first, Get a grip people if I dont like the look of you or anyone else ,you aint getting in my house either "Why not " the PC brigade says "Because it's my house so **** OFF"

ATB Flynny

It does, people running businesses are not allowed to discriminate against any group of people. This is seen in action here.

Not true...Management reserve the right to refuse admission signs are shown in many places and management do have the right to object.

Not quite the same scenario but a Pub can stop you coming in without giving a reason and I have yet to see a Publican successfully sued for that policy.

Bang on Mate ,

What about the feelings of the B&B owners, if they didn't feel comfy withir of ******** in there house thats up to them, put should they be fined!!!!!!! Maybe it hurts there feelings, but oh no "you musnt hurt the ******** feelings" but its ok to hurt normal christian peoples feelings "sod the christian couples feelings" the ******** and freaks come first, Get a grip people if I dont like the look of you or anyone else ,you aint getting in my house either "Why not " the PC brigade says "Because it's my house so **** OFF"

ATB Flynny

as soon as allow religious based discrimination to be accepted, there are lots of other 'religious groups' who would be only too happy to run with this to much more unpleasant situations than gays being turned down for B&B's. - , most of whom (certain religions) are already more suited to the middle ages anyway.

keeping religious based discrimination in its box will benefit everyone in the long run.

edit: - its not just a house, a B&B is a business as well.

Edited by Cranfield

+1 :yes: