Peter Lawman

Guest cookoff013

What about the Lot Number? It Wouldn't be an 'idiot-proof' half-kilo batch but a commercial batch. They can be QUITE different.

The dosages for different lots can be significantly UP or DOWN. Some published recipes that I tested were way over the top.

Only a test gun would determine the correct dosage and reveal the dangers.

comercial loaders use powders that have a higher nitro content. so that they initially load less powder and have the same pressure. it can save them ~3 grains or so per shell but comparitively when they make 10 million shells is 30, million grains which is saving of 4286lbs of powder, comparitively at £20 /lb. they save £86K so is worth it.

volume is king.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Lot Number? It Wouldn't be an 'idiot-proof' half-kilo batch but a commercial batch. They can be QUITE different.

The dosages for different lots can be significantly UP or DOWN. Some published recipes that I tested were way over the top.

Only a test gun would determine the correct dosage and reveal the dangers.

How does that work with the millions of cut-offs that have been recycled by reloaders :hmm:

Guest cookoff013

How does that work with the millions of cut-offs that have been recycled by reloaders :hmm:

it works because reloaders are exempt from having safe loads. they can sell the cuttoffs for whatever, as it isnt a complete cartridge.

when i cut open a 21g load and found under 14grains of powder in it, it made me wonder, the nearest powder charge of a powder close to that burn rate would be 19-20grains.

manufacturers buy in special powders in huge volumes.

it works because reloaders are exempt from having safe loads. they can sell the cuttoffs for whatever, as it isnt a complete cartridge.

when i cut open a 21g load and found under 14grains of powder in it, it made me wonder, the nearest powder charge of a powder close to that burn rate would be 19-20grains.

manufacturers buy in special powders in huge volumes.

I would have thought that any named powder is just that and any variation is something completely different, otherwise why name it in the first place.

Why for example would you have a powder named AS that has the burn rate of A0 or vice versa :hmm:

Guest cookoff013

they make a product to a certain specification. for instance......

say i make millions of cartidges, in a factory. and i like vectan AS, but wanted to just use 15grains per cartridge. but i wanted the same performance if i`d have dropped 20 grains.

the manufacturer would make it if i bought tonnes of it.

i could then order a ton of it per million shells. so i`d only buy a ton if i only wanted a million shells.

the new adulterated powder wouldnt be called AS, it would be called some generic code specific to a company. and as its a custom produced it would be exclusive to that company.....

maybe like HCC30..... etc. there are 1000s of powders un available. but they have funny codded names, just look at the shipping hazmat sheets.

www.hsl.gov.uk/media/110080/propellant_applicants%20n%20to%20z.pdf

http://www.hsl.gov.uk/media/110084/propellant_applicants%20a%20to%20m.pdf

there are some interesting reads!

Edited by cookoff013

they make a product to a certain specification. for instance......

say i make millions of cartidges, in a factory. and i like vectan AS, but wanted to just use 15grains per cartridge. but i wanted the same performance if i`d have dropped 20 grains.

the manufacturer would make it if i bought tonnes of it.

i could then order a ton of it per million shells. so i`d only buy a ton if i only wanted a million shells.

the new adulterated powder wouldnt be called AS, it would be called some generic code specific to a company. and as its a custom produced it would be exclusive to that company.....

maybe like HCC30..... etc. there are 1000s of powders un available. but they have funny codded names, just look at the shipping hazmat sheets.

www.hsl.gov.uk/media/110080/propellant_applicants%20n%20to%20z.pdf

http://www.hsl.gov.u...ants a to m.pdf

there are some interesting reads!

But then you're not buying a barrel of AS are you.

Surely if you're buying a container of AS in whatever volume it would be AS, not some remote concoction that's only vaguely similar to the spec of AS.

I'm sure Alan will be along soon to clarify.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Guest cookoff013

yes, if you buy a container of AS, then there will be AS in it.

if you read the documentation they have clear defenitions between canister powder, for instance AS is a canister powder because it is available to the domestic market.

if you were to start mass production of shells in a comercial venture with canister AS your going to loose money.

take bullseye, there is only one bullseye available on the canister / domestic market, but there are 7 powders with the same name available. ranging from bullseye to bullseye(84-88). they are listed as original equiptment manufacturer.

there are 5 hercos available.

aliant381 is there.

5 red dots !

but i think the point is that you are missing andy, if i was a cartridge manufacturing factory, and wanted to load reddot. i have the choice of 5 with the different specs. usually density and nitro content variants. let alone shape / of the powder.

but andy you cannot buy a barrel of reddot50 can you. it is un available to the donmestic market. not to mention the fact of no data to support it. reddot (oem) which isnt available on the market here probly is something similar to alliant promo.

i think you are getting confused between comercial powders and domestic.

if you wanted to buy a barrel of AS then try, ring up nobelsport and ask for it, it comes in 20 kg lots... i`m sure they`ll sell it to you.

I have 7off 20 kg barrels in my workshop yes they are now empty now but they are all labled ,mostley CSB-5 there is a slight differance between batches the last 20kg of AS is approx .5 grain different from the previous for the same pressure .Its just the ammount of nitrocelliouse absorbed in the manufacturing process that is different, the the manufactureres don't have AS made more powerfull they use a different powder like D20 .

Between myself and two other reloaders we have used over 12 20 kg tubs in the last 10 years

Deershooter

I recon i might Just

"Get in There"

It would cost a few bob to get set up. What does an explosives licence and uprated insurance for large amounts of nitropowders cost for a start. Then various vectan powders in 10 or 20 kilo lots and primers by the multiple thousand.

You'll not have much competition if your prices are reasonable though.

Why would I? - he dealt with my query in a prompt and efficient manner as he always does. Very happy with the service I received. (As it happens he did not have what I needed, but was still quick with his reply)

Mike

Well it might have been useful to know if he is still trading in any recognisable form or just messing people about.

Being 'very happy' with the service you recieved seems a bit odd when he didn't have what you required :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...