Police Request?

12boreblue

Having kept myself abreast of everyone's opinion on this topic, I took the view that what might be a good idea was to contact the police and ask why they want all this information.

The crux of the issue in this instance is the geographical situation of the farm, being surrounded by 3 towns and the associated housing estates etc, it has also been noted that a previous complaint was made and a visit to the farm was required. In essence all they are asking for is knowledge that shooting is taking place by the permitted person, then no need to send out units if a complaint is received. The stop and start request allows a log, so that when shifts change in the control room, it will be evident what is going on and for how long. now I don't like the idea of having to contact them, but in a logical approach I can see their reasoning.

I think for the first couple of months I will inform them, then slowly wean them off the call if there are no complaints.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having kept myself abreast of everyone's opinion on this topic, I took the view that what might be a good idea was to contact the police and ask why they want all this information.

The crux of the issue in this instance is the geographical situation of the farm, being surrounded by 3 towns and the associated housing estates etc, it has also been noted that a previous complaint was made and a visit to the farm was required. In essence all they are asking for is knowledge that shooting is taking place by the permitted person, then no need to send out units if a complaint is received. The stop and start request allows a log, so that when shifts change in the control room, it will be evident what is going on and for how long. now I don't like the idea of having to contact them, but in a logical approach I can see their reasoning.

I think for the first couple of months I will inform them, then slowly wean them off the call if there are no complaints.

But they'll probably still investigate even if you do phone in. Why not go about your lawful activity as normal, and if someone complains let the police investigate and let the local police who will actually be the ones sent out learn that it's a farm where shooting is the norm, and that the complaints are from silly people who should be in trouble for wasting police time?

It's not sensible to give yourself hassle and make life harder for shooters overall just in case it stops the police coming to investigate.

Let them investigate, be helpful, but don't jeopardize the future of shooting for no reason.

Shooting is currently legal so there is no reason as to why you should have to tell the police every time you go out and do it.

J.

And pray tell where did I say you HAVE to? if you're going to quote me at least do it right.

Bedwards, yes they'll still investigate but that could be by checking the logs, phoning the shooter that phoned in to see if it's them, etc, not necessarily sending someone to check it out. It could also save your time if a passing patrol comes for a look and you can give them a log number. They'll check the log with ACR and that the details given to them match what the log has. Everyone happy and back to business. Noones time is wasted, no ARV, no helicopter.

But then I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I hostile to the authorities (except the tax man). Makes me wonder if you'd have the same attitude to them if stop checked. I doubt it. :no: or you'd fail the attitude test and be somewhat inconvenienced. Or is that maybe why you're so hostile to the idea? Have you already experienced the attitude test and fallen foul?

Edited by DaveK

There's a wee difference between normal, run of the mill, legitimate business and wandering around the area with a loaded firearm. If some people can't understand the difference and consider it an infringement on their human rights ..... well ....... I just give up :rolleyes:

Why did you have to word it like that; wandering around the area with a loaded firearm. Someone is out shooting in a field. Sounds very diferent doesn't it.

How many times, when the police are called out to a person "wandering around the area with a loaded firearm" is it found they are carrying out legitimate business 99.9% ?

And yes with your attitude you should give up

Why did you have to word it like that; wandering around the area with a loaded firearm. Someone is out shooting in a field. Sounds very diferent doesn't it.

It may SOUND different but that's the way it's often seen so why put rose petals on it? call a spade a spade mate.

And I'll not change my attitude so maybe if you don't like it, you should follow your own advice. I'm sick of pussy footing around some of the forum jobsworths and anti establishment "experts" just in case it offends someone. Get a grip on reality matey (s).

Wandering around a police authority's area ARMED is EXACTLY what we're doing. Now disagree with that if you can. And if you're in a police authority's area with a loaded firearm expect to get checked. If you play by the law you've a better chance of being respected by the law. I do and have never had a problem. Buck the trend and the trend will buck back. Human nature 101. :rolleyes:

Unless of course you've got something to hide? ???? :whistling:

Edited by DaveK

It may SOUND different but that's the way it's often seen so why put rose petals on it? call a spade a spade mate.

And I'll not change my attitude so maybe if you don't like it, you should follow your own advice. I'm sick of pussy footing around some of the forum jobsworths and anti establishment "experts" just in case it offends someone. Get a grip on reality matey (s).

Wandering around a police authority's area ARMED is EXACTLY what we're doing. Now disagree with that if you can. And if you're in a police authority's area with a loaded firearm expect to get checked. If you play by the law you've a better chance of being respected by the law. I do and have never had a problem. Buck the trend and the trend will buck back. Human nature 101. :rolleyes:

You really don't get it do you. Of course I can disagree with that.

It's not the " police authorities area" it's my shooting area which I've paid for. So why have I got to be checked, checked for what, You are not bucking anything by legally shooting. You are playing by the law legally owning a licensed gun

And what do you mean by something to hide? Got nothing to hide on my shooting ground with my legally held shotgun going about my own legal business. I'm doing nothing wrong. I will say again you just don't get it, and that is why a large majority of the population have got such a low regard of the police. They are there to protect the public but all they want to do is antagonise law abiding citizens

I been shooting for 45 years and the reality was fine for 40 years but what's changed in the last five years? The police have changed that's what.

Using these "drama queen" phrases helps no one.

"Armed" sounds good in court for the prosecution, but saying there are lots of armed men out shooting pheasants sound crazy doesn't it? And when you say "that's the way it's often seen" seen by whom. By the small minded yes men. If you think somethings not right, say so and "checking " someone out in a field with a gun is wrong.

You really don't get it do you. Of course I can disagree with that.

It's not the " police authorities area" it's my shooting area which I've paid for. So why have I got to be checked, checked for what, You are not bucking anything by legally shooting. You are playing by the law legally owning a licensed gun

And what do you mean by something to hide? Got nothing to hide on my shooting ground with my legally held shotgun going about my own legal business. I'm doing nothing wrong. I will say again you just don't get it, and that is why a large majority of the population have got such a low regard of the police. They are there to protect the public but all they want to do is antagonise law abiding citizens

I been shooting for 45 years and the reality was fine for 40 years but what's changed in the last five years? The police have changed that's what.

Using these "drama queen" phrases helps no one.

"Armed" sounds good in court for the prosecution, but saying there are lots of armed men out shooting pheasants sound crazy doesn't it? And when you say "that's the way it's often seen" seen by whom. By the small minded yes men. If you think somethings not right, say so and "checking " someone out in a field with a gun is wrong.

which I've paid for .......Can you explain that?

The Police have simply responded to pressure from Jo Public and the Red tops, who are excellent at introducing Drama Queen phrases, that's what sells newspapers, "Guns are evil and anyone carrying one is up to no good", that is the precieved problem so the Police have to cover their ****.

I don't know why I'm bothering just the same, there are several here who know it all, either can't read or failed Comprehension at school and have such a closed mind it is unreal!

Have a nice day! :D

Edited by Dekers

All

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You pay for ALL your shooting , Pest Control, Rough, Deer stalking, Pheasant, etc? and you are lecturing on advising the Police. :hmm:???:no:

You do not live in the real world or have any idea about professional work, people pay me to shoot, or I am invited to friends estates for Pheasant, duck, etc, I took a Gold Medal Roe last year and I was paid to shoot it!

You and a few others here seem to find it easy to play big shot with the Police on a forum, if your livelihood depended on it you would have a better idea how the world works!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You pay for ALL your shooting , Pest Control, Rough, Deer stalking, Pheasant, etc? and you are lecturing on advising the Police. :hmm:???:no:

Am I missing something here?Many people pay for shooting;I'm not following the logic of what paying for the shooting rights has to do with informing the Police when you're shooting?

Am I missing something here?Many people pay for shooting;I'm not following the logic of what paying for the shooting rights has to do with informing the Police when you're shooting?

You OBVIOUSLY DON'T understand, but you are more than happy to tell everyone else what to do.

You do not live in the real world or have any idea about professional work, people pay me to shoot, or I am invited to friends estates for Pheasant, duck, etc, I took a Gold Medal Roe last year and I was paid to shoot it!

You and a few others here seem to find it easy to play big shot with the Police on a forum, if your livelihood depended on it you would have a better idea how the world works!

My apologies for re entering this way past pointless current debate, I quote my post from earlier and will now withdraw and let you all carry on!

... this whole thread has developed into a meaningless shambles with people not reading, not listening, not showing much sense, and over indulging with steroids, and its going round in circles with no end in sight!! :D:good:

Scully, my apologies again, mixed up with responder, my response was directed at Oops Missed Again, not you!

You OBVIOUSLY DON'T understand, but you are more than happy to tell everyone else what to do.

Edited by Dekers

So when I'm shooting on the sports ground being overlooked by commuters on the railway embankment stopped and queueing on the train to get into the station during rush hour there is no need to call the police, when I am shooting at a Garden centre on a major roundabout on an "A" road with a massive pedestrian walkway over it and it full view of pedestrians and vehicle drivers there is no need to let the police know, when I am in the company car park in full view of anyone who wants to look shooting pigeons there is no need to let the police know, etc etc

as I said in post 22 above...

As always there are some very macho responses here born out of little experience, or thought, in many cases.............

.........You have to be realistic and sensible and use your brains! :good:

I was told by a local firearms unit that if they have reports of somebody with a firearm that they are duty bound to follow it up it may not be a full armed response but they still have to follow it up even if somebody has phoned to say the will be in the area.........

My apologies for re entering this way past pointless current debate, I quote my post from earlier and will now withdraw and let you all carry on!

Wait for me Deeks, I'm bored with this one and life's too short. I'm coming with you. :rolleyes:

And pray tell where did I say you HAVE to? if you're going to quote me at least do it right.

Bedwards, yes they'll still investigate but that could be by checking the logs, phoning the shooter that phoned in to see if it's them, etc, not necessarily sending someone to check it out. It could also save your time if a passing patrol comes for a look and you can give them a log number. They'll check the log with ACR and that the details given to them match what the log has. Everyone happy and back to business. Noones time is wasted, no ARV, no helicopter.

But then I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I hostile to the authorities (except the tax man). Makes me wonder if you'd have the same attitude to them if stop checked. I doubt it. :no: or you'd fail the attitude test and be somewhat inconvenienced. Or is that maybe why you're so hostile to the idea? Have you already experienced the attitude test and fallen foul?

No, I've actually had dealings with the police where they investigated complaints of a 'man with a gun' (me). At no point did I have any issues, the officers were perfectly sensible. They checked who I am, that I held a certificate, and off we went.

I've also been pulled up when driving my car. Again checks have been made and I've been on my way with no issues.

If they treat me and the situation fairly I have nothing against the police, what I have an issue with is them imposing unreasonable conditions on me and treating people as guilty until proven innocent, instead of the other way round.

Conspiracy theories? No, I just look at history, see what has happened and it's quite obvious what will come. If enough of us inform the police of our shooting, it will become mandatory.

I think it very unlikely that they will use a simple phone call to investigate a complaint. Yes it may suffice, but the police are more about covering their own backsides than doing things efficiently, so chances are they will send someone out anyway.

Yes we may be walking round with a gun. But why should I notify the police of that?

What's the difference between notifying the police of me carrying a .22 caliber gun with a projectile weighing 40 grains and me notifying the police of my 84.4 caliber projectile weighing 38,624,000 grains (my car)? There is far more danger to the public from my car than my gun (statistically), yet I don't see anyone saying I should phone prior to driving in case someone complains about a car going fast down the road. It's essentially the same thing.

Ok, BIG LETTERS and slowly please WHAT shooting rights?

Pest Control, Rough, Deer stalking, Pheasant, etc?

What difference does it make?

My thoughts exactly.

No, I think your the one who doesn't understand. Just because you may get some money for your shooting does not make any difference to whether you should inform the police of your lawful activity. It does not change the fact that by telling them your making it easier to make it a requirement - in fact, if your truly in the real world, you'd surely be able to see that being required to tell the police where and when your shooting, and eventually ask if it's OK, is not going to help your work in any way.

No, I've actually had dealings with the police where they investigated complaints of a 'man with a gun' (me). At no point did I have any issues, the officers were perfectly sensible. They checked who I am, that I held a certificate, and off we went.

I've also been pulled up when driving my car. Again checks have been made and I've been on my way with no issues.

If they treat me and the situation fairly I have nothing against the police, what I have an issue with is them imposing unreasonable conditions on me and treating people as guilty until proven innocent, instead of the other way round.

Conspiracy theories? No, I just look at history, see what has happened and it's quite obvious what will come. If enough of us inform the police of our shooting, it will become mandatory.

I think it very unlikely that they will use a simple phone call to investigate a complaint. Yes it may suffice, but the police are more about covering their own backsides than doing things efficiently, so chances are they will send someone out anyway.

No, I think your the one who doesn't understand. Just because you may get some money for your shooting does not make any difference to whether you should inform the police of your lawful activity. It does not change the fact that by telling them your making it easier to make it a requirement - in fact, if your truly in the real world, you'd surely be able to see that being required to tell the police where and when your shooting, and eventually ask if it's OK, is not going to help your work in any way.

Thank goodness for that I was starting to think it was me who had it wrong!!

I've looked at his content and web site and I'm not sure if he is a "fit person" to own and use firearms. Strange bloke.

Perhaps he had better turn himself in to his police mates :innocent:

I have 5 permissions at opposite ends of the country, somer overlooked by main roads and side roads and i have yet to be asked to contact the boys in blue for any of them. I have a legal right to be there and always carry a copy of the cert along with written permission.

I have yet to have a problem.

• 3 months later...

I have a licence to drive. I never phone the police to give them my destination, reg number etc.

If you are going shooting, which is a lawful activity, and for which you have jumped through hoops to obtain your SGC/FAC I can't see any need to inform the police when you shoot. If they want to waste time and resources, then contact your local Police and Crime Commission to recommend a budget cut.