First outing on the winter rape

Cosd

After a fair few weeks of our permissions being pretty void of pigeons, my shooting buddy Mark and I went out yesterday after seeing reasonable numbers on the rape.

We chose a field each and set up a banger rope at the far end of another permission to try to push the birds our way whilst we bounced the birds between us too.

I didn't have any dead birds with me so took the Hyperflaps for the magnet, unfortunately the thread went on one of them whilst I tried attaching it and so I left one arm on the magnet empty (for balance) and placed a single Hyperflap on the other. I set up a dozen FUD's and 10 flocked shells (some with Dippas to add movement); I mixed the decoys and set out two random patterns with the closest decoys 25 yards out and the furthest 35 yards out, leaving a 20 yard gap between the two patterns. I placed the magnet amongst one of the patterns and after downing the first bird set up the Turbo Flapper amongst the other pattern.

The birds decoyed text book style straight from the off, and I was pretty impressed just how well the single Hyperflap worked with many of the birds wanting to land right next to it, so I left that on all day and didn't bother with dead birds. The Dippas added nice movement to the pattern also and with all the gizmo's in action the pattern looked well.

I could here my partner banging away too, I'd say I started a little busier but he finished busier. The sport was good, missed a few sitters and also made some cracking shots. I got two left and rights but that dreaded treble still eludes me to this day. I had a good chance to get it on my second left and right and missed the third and probably the easiest shot. As four birds approached I let them decoy and as the first was about to land I took the furthest bird, I hit the second quickly as it was the closest to the first bird, and in the panic to scarper, one flew straight at me and I missed from close range; I'm sure it's a mental block but I'll do it one day.

We finished the day with 101 birds between us. We both used Fiochi 28g 7.5 carts, Mark used the FBlacks whilst I used the FBlu's .

I enjoyed the day thoroughly and looking forward to the next one. Sorry no pictures I'm afraid.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

Thanks for the kind words guys :good:

Well done, good write up and brilliant day . Very early for rape shooting .

It is early for the rape getting hit, and since there is a poor showing of berries, beechmast etc this year, I think we could be on for a bumper year with birds hitting the rape hard. My partner did some reccy a couple of days before we went and lifted off anything between 200 and 400 birds off every field so they have started hitting round our way.

Cos