Can someone explain the difference between 20gauge gun and 12gauge gun

b16jus

20g is smaller cartidge size, lighter and some say less recoil. Im not sure about the recoil side of things as surely a 28gram 20g cartirdge would have the same kick as a 28gram 12g cartridge? But, going from my .410 which has no noticable recoil, maybe it does.

Traditionally ive noticed that a lot of women and youngsters seem to go for the 20g, especially on the clays.

Thanks guys, My mrs struggles to lift and hold some of my 12gauge guns so i presume a 20g would be a good option for her and along with some lighter cartridges better recoil than the usual 28g i use in the 12g.

i presume choke wise they work the same ?

J

Before going to the expense try her with some Hull Comp X 21g in the 12b - I was going to get my mrs a 20b but am not now as these are so low recoil and about £2 a box cheaper than 20b carts.

Won't make the gun lighter though.

How about trying a semi? They should be lighter.

Yea the semi is lighter and better but very anoying having to pick up all the cartridges it leaves on the floor lol

Before going to the expense try her with some Hull Comp X 21g in the 12b - I was going to get my mrs a 20b but am not now as these are so low recoil and about £2 a box cheaper than 20b carts.

Ok cool will get some for her to try but she deff struggles with the weight of the gun.

Winchester do a light over and under 12gauge

plenty of light cartridges on the market

20 bore carts are overpriced, spend abit more and get a suitable light 12, you will save yourself in the long run

Edited by TJ91

20 bores are great little guns, I use one extensively and its just a lighter sweeter shooting gun, yes a 28g load will kick if your sensitive to recoil but if you not using 100's day they are a joyous tool for flighting pigeons or driven pheasant. Light to carry and extremly easy to swing. Good kills too, some of my longest shots have been with my 20 but I would say in general on longer stuff you need to be a fraction more accurate if that makes sense. I would say that its a more experienced shooters gun or a juniors or women gun for weight. Try one I bet you love it

Edited by wj939

my favorite is the 20,i use it on pigeons phesant and ducks,i do use 12 as well when i feel like it but i dont think there any better than the smaller gauge,i like the light weight and quicker handling of the 20.my shooting partner uses a 20 as well our bags are just as good with either caliber.

Traditionaly guns were based close to fixed sizes of shot so a 12 g normally had about 32gram of shot, 20 gauge about 24 gram, 28 gauge about 18-20 gram and 410 about 12-14 gram all in 2.5 inch carts

The smaller the gram size the lighter the guns were made

therefore a 20 gauge would normally be lighter than a 12 gauge and have about the same felt recoil as the 12g with heavier 32gram loads

nowdays people use all different weights of cartridge for all sizes of guns so a 410 may have 19 gram and a 12 g have 21 gram

clay shooting has lead to a max cart size of 28 gram for 12 g and 20 gauge now often also use 28gram loads

people now think buying a lightweight 20 gauge will be lighter for a smaller person, which it normally is but by using heavier cartridges the recoil is significantly larger with it bringing in new problems. used with 20-24 gram carts it will be less weight and less recoil compared to a 28-32 gram load on a 12 g

Edited by ChrisAsh