Shot Gun Cleaning

BountyHunter

I'm sure this has been asked before and I appologise in advance for being lazy but:

I have just tested out my new Lanber with a dozen or so cartridges, got back in and found taht my boy has used all the WD40 on his bike, I don't want to drive back into town now will it hurt the gun to clean it tomorrow?

BH

It was on this site I read that! I dont use it anyway.

edit:

I found the link:

A cheap version of WD-40 is fine as a Bore cleaner but don't use it externally as it has been said it can eat away at the solder which holds the rib on your barrels.
http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...13&hl=WD-40

Was curious about this so done a websearch turns out there are some voices against the use of WD40 as a cleaning agent for shotguns.

Most people use WD 40 to oil their guns. They do not know what they are doing to their gun. WD40 turns to a gum like state after a few years. This can hinder the performance of the gun. The safety does not work, the firing pin freezes in place, and makes the gun overall unsafe.
http://waterandwoods.net/content.php?content.180

The worst product ever applied to guns, in my experience, is WD-40. A good irrigant, squeak stopper and penetrant, it is a very poor lubricant or protectant, with a low film strength. You are far better off with motor oil than this aromatic gun-wrecker. Though WD-40 is not the pits for everything, it is a very good way to find them in your barrel.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/clean_muzzleloader.htm

Done editing.

WD40 I think can cause the ribs to come off the barrel? Though dont quote me on that. Why not just use gun oil?

I clean the rings on the semi every time its used and just wipe the barrel down while I'm at it but the pump never gets cleaned and its fine.

Il cacciatore is spot on. The WD-40 eats away at the solder that your ribs are braised on with AND the barrels are braised together also. Fine to clean your bores but NOT on the exterior.

To wipe down the exterior of the barrels i use good old fashioned 3in1 on an old duster and clean the pivots and pins etc with a cotton bud and regrease for the first few months after every use as the wear in period produces metal particles which IF not removed can cause premature wear of the action.

Also when oiling Ejectors or any other part of the action store your gun BARREL DOWN to stop the oil saturating the stock and causing dark unsightley stains on the wood :angry:

LG

I'm sure this has been asked before and I appologise in advance for being lazy but:

I have just tested out my new Lanber with a dozen or so cartridges, got back in and found taht my boy has used all the WD40 on his bike, I don't want to drive back into town now will it hurt the gun to clean it tomorrow?

BH

:angry::no::/ ........is called new gun syndrome, in about 4 months you will be chucking it in the back

BH

;):lol::lol: ........is called new gun syndrome, in about 4 months you will be chucking it in the back

:yes::lol: