Allergenic gun dogs? Any thoughts...

younggunjoyce

I'm not sure if anyone has come across this before or can help, but my wife and I are considering getting a dog, the issue we have is our 2 year old son is highly allergic, now I’m not selfish enough to just get a spaniel and put me son through the torment of it all so what we've thought about is buying an allergenic dog.

We've done a small amount of research and come across an Irish Water Spaniel and a Portuguese Water dog which according to numerous sites are faithful gun dogs which are suitable for our needs. My question to the forums is does anyone have any experience with these breeds and also any thought on any other type of dogs?

As mentioned our preferred “K9 chum” would be a spaniel but for obvious reasons have to rule it out, the dog would have to be a family dog as we’ll as a grafter.

We'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks

Adrian & Hayley.

any dog can create a reaction, though we have friends with a very,very alergic daughter who have had a goldy, cocker and now lab all fine. When i say very, its been said by doctors the most alercic in lancs. Labradoodles are used in these circumstances for assistance dogs i think

Thanks the response people, it's a lot more than I expected to be honest.

Thanks for the comment HDAV, I missed the Lagotto off the list, interesting dogs.

Berreta28g - I most definetly will take you up on that offer, if i'm honest today was the first time i've even heard of an IWS so i'm very intreagued to know a bit more and will get back to you, if that's OK!

My sons has had really bad reaction's in the past with one of our friends labs but doesn't seem to be so bad with my father in laws older spaniel so maybe he's adapted to him.... not sure.

WGD - Trust me I wish it was that simple, but I know for a fact that my little lad would be straight in the kennel and it wouldn't be the easiest of tasks getting him out... But never the less a good idea!

Thanks for the useful comments!

Adrian

Hi Adrian, what really should have been the first question is what you want your dog to do for your in the field. Knowing that will enable you to further refine the breeds you are considering, for example and IWS is a retriever and not a spaniel comparable to a cocker or a springer. And to what extent are the dog's gundog capabilities critical to you? I may be mis-interpreting your post but the focus seems to be on family pet rather than highly bred hunting machine?

The ideal dog for the field to me would be something intelligent enough to find and flush, on the majority of shoots I attend there always appears to be plenty of labs and similar retrievers so that aspect isn't as important. I've had an email from a lad informing me about the Portuguese Pointer which I'm assuming will be another dog that could possibly suit us..

Although the dog would be very important to me in the field it would be just as important in the family (hopefully), but I understand there is a fine line, I don't think I could bring myself to thinking or using the dog just for one purpose, although I appreciate that some do. The dog would work on a weekend and the rest of the week would hopefully be a "faithful companion".

So in brief, a dog that will graft on a weekend and will be happy enough to get his ears pulled during the week but will be walked well.

The ideal dog for the field to me would be something intelligent enough to find and flush, on the majority of shoots I attend there always appears to be plenty of labs and similar retrievers so that aspect isn't as important. I've had an email from a lad informing me about the Portuguese Pointer which I'm assuming will be another dog that could possibly suit us..

Although the dog would be very important to me in the field it would be just as important in the family (hopefully), but I understand there is a fine line, I don't think I could bring myself to thinking or using the dog just for one purpose, although I appreciate that some do. The dog would work on a weekend and the rest of the week would hopefully be a "faithful companion".

So in brief, a dog that will graft on a weekend and will be happy enough to get his ears pulled during the week but will be walked well.

realistically with your brief look more on the Hypo allergenic side and less on the shooting side, and block anyone who suggests any breed you can't get in the UK :whistling:

It sounds like you are after a shooting companion rather than a field trial winning dog so if it can hunt a bit and retrieve it should fit the brief.

The Irish Water Spaniel are known as a bit of a clown. They are incredibly amusing and as a retriever are second to none. Some can be narky to strangers. I have had one that would set on pheasants, the one I have now is flushing. They are not a patch on a good springer or cocker unlessd trained how to flush as it doesn't come naturally. They are not afraid of cover. They are a fantastic peg or water dog. Very smart dog, very loyal. I don't think i could ever imagine life without one. The only problem is that when excited they can drool excessively from the mouth but that can be sorted with a quick rub of a cloth, it wont happen when they are used to a situation. They look amazing and never shed. Good guard dogs as well.

Our friends have 2 Portuguese water dogs for the same reason, they got them from two separate breeders (neither gundog lines) and I dont think i have seen a dog with less natural instincts to hunt than them 2, When we go out my collie and springer are off in the bushes searching for anything and everything and when i pull out a dummy or ball they go mad for it, my friends dogs just walk down the paths in the woods and never put their noses down all they are interested in is chasing after my dogs when they come into range and soon give up. From what I have seen i would strongly suggest not to get one of these from a UK breeder unless gundog specific as they are great pets but no good at anything else.

What a bout a full size poodle, werent they gundogs originally? If you get a proper full size one they are a lovely dog.

The Irish Water Spaniel are known as a bit of a clown. They are incredibly amusing and as a retriever are second to none. Some can be narky to strangers. I have had one that would set on pheasants, the one I have now is flushing. They are not a patch on a good springer or cocker unlessd trained how to flush as it doesn't come naturally. They are not afraid of cover. They are a fantastic peg or water dog. Very smart dog, very loyal. I don't think i could ever imagine life without one. The only problem is that when excited they can drool excessively from the mouth but that can be sorted with a quick rub of a cloth, it wont happen when they are used to a situation. They look amazing and never shed. Good guard dogs as well.

I have always had labs for pigeon shooting but I must admit I do like the look of the Irish Water Spaniel.

how much is a good pup does anyone know?