Euro Millions winners want to give me a huge wedge...I dont want it.

Sprackles

eh there is a guy who plays lead guitar in a duo in the wirral,,his name is Gillian,,,,pronounced,,,GILL,,,,IAN ,, Gill as in fish and Ian as in boys name so i recon its not a scam its true,,go get ya money you deserve it,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Harrypen, not aimed at you....

This is a new way of reporting fraud. Including the international types which are difficult to stop... Including those without traditional victims....

If they don't know then no action can be taken to prevent it

My point exactly,,,,,there are still people out there who dont know or understand these scams and for someone calling them idiots is not on

Thanks once again I had heard of what you put up but couldnt supply the address

Harrypen (taking no offence)

As you all know these scams have been going around for years, they originate from a variety of countries Russia Holland and some eastern bloc states. They rely on the guilibility (spelling) and greed of people to work. Have had hundreds over the years still not mega minted, Oh well. My entire family has been wiped out in car, boat, plane, train and space ship disasters 20 times over (leaving an unclaimed bank deposit of £xmillions).

Because a sniffer email carries an email address in Nigeria or Outer Mongolia does not mean it came from there, easy to set up a proxy or alias email address, probably came from the 14 year old kids bedroom 2 doors down.

The police cannot stop it, email addresses & IPs will just be changed, and off they go again. Reporting one does nothing to stem the ever rising tide of these scams, education is the answer, our local press and other local media do their best to inform people what they are all about.

However they cannot legislate for the greedy an unfortunately the elderly who can be easily taken in.

I believe it is encumbant on us all to do the best we can to warn and look out for older relatives who may become the victims of such cons. Having said that I know an 83 y.o. and a few 70 somethings who are as sharp as a razor when it comes to these cons.

There is my threepen'orth

ATB

Bri

Just remembered something that happened a couple or three years ago to a colleagues husband. Retired (early) professional man, ex police sergeant and later an ex school headmaster.

He got one of those " we are updating our security information and need you to confirm your bank details or your account will be suspended" emails.

What does he do????? yup you all got it in one, he opens the link enters his details a/c number etc AND PASSWORD.

By the time his wife got home they were £20,000 poorer another ten grand was stopped mid transaction, their bank refunded £5000 as a "goodwill gesture" (they did not have to refund a penny). Best the bank and police could say was it originated somewhere in Russia.

Be careful in hyper/virtual space you don't know whats out there.

ATB

Bri

As you all know these scams have been going around for years, they originate from a variety of countries Russia Holland and some eastern bloc states. They rely on the guilibility (spelling) and greed of people to work. Have had hundreds over the years still not mega minted, Oh well. My entire family has been wiped out in car, boat, plane, train and space ship disasters 20 times over (leaving an unclaimed bank deposit of £xmillions).

Because a sniffer email carries an email address in Nigeria or Outer Mongolia does not mean it came from there, easy to set up a proxy or alias email address, probably came from the 14 year old kids bedroom 2 doors down.

The police cannot stop it, email addresses & IPs will just be changed, and off they go again. Reporting one does nothing to stem the ever rising tide of these scams, education is the answer, our local press and other local media do their best to inform people what they are all about.

However they cannot legislate for the greedy an unfortunately the elderly who can be easily taken in.

I believe it is encumbant on us all to do the best we can to warn and look out for older relatives who may become the victims of such cons. Having said that I know an 83 y.o. and a few 70 somethings who are as sharp as a razor when it comes to these cons.

There is my threepen'orth

ATB

Bri

That about sums it up...I'm not going to start trading insults with some on here but they need to realise that its not as simple as reporting it to Police and then someone gets his collar felt.

As you state, IP spoofers, proxys etc, there are a hundred and one ways to mask whats going on and i'm afraid the local Police are not going to commit the resources required to investigate these e mails.

And for the gobby one on here....when something is identified as spam, the ISP can divert that mail and similar from appearing in inboxes so its not generally read. I regularly read my spam box in case something has been wrongly identified.

You will not stop these people, they will just set up yet another account.

As I was talking to Mrs S about this topic lo & behold a stamped but unfranked letter arrived, far too early for Mr Postie ???

Turns out it was from a company called Seneca Geneologies stating we may have a claim on some ones estate who has died intestate.

The company address is real according to Mr Google, Derby location phone number post code etc. However no match for the company name at that location. (got to send the cheque somewhere I suppose).

Other details include names and wedding dates of other relatives and ourselves, all fairly easy to find out

Spelling of the letter ok ish but the grammar was far from good.

Now we know we have no relatives who have died intestate, none with money that is.

So some one has done enough homework to supply enough correct detail to have us believe the thing is credible.

Putting it down to a scam albeit a new one. So there's a heads up for you all.

ATB

Bri

Dont call people rude names on here thanks. If you cant keep your posts civil then go and do something else.

I apologise unreservedly for this ,,,, but not for the reasoning behind my posts

in this so called enlightened age there are older and less experienced people getting into computing that sometimes do not see the traps,,,there have been numerous cases reported here and elsewhere ,,and there are places to report these scams to

if enough people report them appropriately and just one organisation is bought to book it will help

loudmouth walter harrypen

Edited by harrypen

I apologise unreservedly for this ,,,, but not for the reasoning behind my posts

in this so called enlightened age there are older and less experienced people getting into computing that sometimes do not see the traps,,,there have been numerous cases reported here and elsewhere ,,and there are places to report these scams to

if enough people report them appropriately and just one organisation is bought to book it will help

loudmouth walter harrypen

The main reason why older people tend to fall for them is that they are a more trusting generation than the current generation which is growing up with this new technology. As has been mentioned by another poster, there are exceptions to this rule.

Just my luck...someone else who's won Euromillions wants to give me some...

As I said earlier, you cannot stop these by reporting the original...another pops right back at you.

This is a personal email directed to you. My wife and I won an Euro Millions Jackpot Lottery of £101 million (Pounds) on October 11, 2011 and have voluntarily decided to donate the sum of £1,000,000.00 Pounds to you as part of our own charity project to improve the lot of 20 lucky individuals all over the world.

If you have received this email then you are one of the lucky recipients and all you have to do is get back to us and provide your full name, contact address phone number, so that we can send your details to the payout bank.

You can verify this by visiting the web page below;

http://www.telegraph...and-family.html

Your email address was submitted to my wife and me from the best web directory and search engine by legal advisers to the donation scheme. You received this message because we have listed you as one of our twenty lucky millionaires.

If you receive this email on your office email address, you are advised to reply with this message on your private email address for more details on how to receive your cash grant.

Regards

Dave and Angela Dawes

And for those more tech savvy.....

Return-Path: <dschultz@spsu.edu>

Received: from compute1.internal (compute1.nyi.mail.srv.osa [10.202.2.41])

by sloti18d5p2 (Cyrus git2.5+0-***-fastmail-8585) with LMTPA;

Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:49:19 -0500

X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.4

X-Spam-charsets: subject='utf-8', plain='utf-8'

X-Resolved-to: shano_03802@xxxxxxxx.com

X-Delivered-to: shano@xxxxxxxxl.com

X-Mail-from: dschultz@spsu.edu

Received: from mx2.nyi.mail.srv.osa ([10.202.2.201])

by compute1.internal (LMTPProxy); Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:49:19 -0500

Received: from smtp2.spsu.edu (smtp2.spsu.edu [168.28.176.204])

by mx2.messagingengine.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id DCF0FF80124

for <shano@xxxxxxxxxl.com>; Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:49:18 -0500 (EST)

Received: from zstore2.spsu.edu (zstore2.spsu.edu [168.28.176.206])

by smtp2.spsu.edu (Postfix) with ESMTP id 805C03C5B0;

Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:44:50 -0500 (EST)

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:46:56 -0500 (EST)

Reply-To: "dawes22@ovi.com" <dawes22@ovi.com>

Message-ID: <1937572792.2691699.1353563216450.JavaMail.root@zstore2.spsu.edu>

Subject: =?utf-8?Q?=C2=A31,000,000.00?=

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

X-Originating-IP: [41.203.67.51]

X-Mailer: Zimbra 7.1.4_GA_2568 (zclient/7.1.4_GA_2568)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;

X-Truedomain: NotChecked

Edited by Sprackles

And just to prove another point....I cross checked the originating IP from the original offer and below is what comes up....surprise surprise...its Nigeria.

The Project Honey Pot system has detected behavior from the IP address consistent with that of a mail server and dictionary attacker. Below we've reported some other data associated with this IP. This interrelated data helps map spammers' networks and aids in law enforcement efforts. If you know something about this IP, please leave a comment.

Lookup IP In: Domain Tools | SpamHaus | Spamcop | SenderBase | Google Groups | GoogleGeographic Location Nigeria

First Received From approximately 3 weeks ago

Last Received From within 1 week

Number Received 79 email(s) sent from this IP

Dictionary Attacks 149 email(s) sent from this IP

First Received From approximately 3 weeks ago

Last Received From within 1 week