It will soon be a full moon

Goose hunt

And then ten days after the moon will be gone thank god. I never like the full moon period. It plays havok with goose flight times . Give me a dark night and then you will know the geese will flight at dawn \ dusk. Over the years i have spent too many moonlight nights when the sky was perfect nights and they just decided to stay on the roost until dawn , nights when the sky blew clear and you cound not pick them out against the stars and nights when the cloud was too thick and not a goose had moved . Yes i have had a few magic nights , but I recon on 95% of the moonlight flights I have done over the last 40 years I have never had a shot.

Edited by anser2

And then ten days after the moon will be gone thank god. I never like the full moon period. It plays havok with goose flight times . Give me a dark night and then you will know the geese will flight at dawn \ dusk. Over the years i have spent too many moonlight nights when the sky was perfect nights and they just decided to stay on the roost until dawn , nights when the sky blew clear and you cound not pick them out against the stars and nights when the cloud was too thick and not a goose had moved . Yes i have had a few magic nights , but I recon on 95% of the moonlight flights I have done over the last 40 years I have never had a shot.

Yep, geese need to be pushed off by tide or by desire to feed inland say. tide is a lot more predictable than the desire to feed under the moon especially if its acompanied by a good blow. I will be out for Duck with the chance of goose, without saying too much i know they are likely to come and it aint got too much to do with either food or tide. non the less there is something special about being there

Edited by kent

I'm new to all this so have a couple of beginners Full Moon / Duck related questions

- Don't Ducks flight inland in the evening, so won't they just stay put, feeding inland throughout the night of a Full Moon?

- If they have moved inland, will a High Tide during the night have no relevance?

Thanks.

When the moons on it messies up everything feeding patens and flight times ! Thay can feed and fly at anytime . Think about it it's day time 2 them! I tend 2 find a field were geese and ducks r feeding, walk them off at half 3 4 ish and go bck around 8ish . May go out earlier or later depending on tides!! But not all the time thay go back to the forshaw , thay can drop in somewhere else in land!!

I'm starting to dislike the moon, had one of my best nights 4 seasons ago but since then it's been poor with poor numbers, poor tides and no wind!!!

At first it was something differant shooting in the light of the moon but the novelty soon wears off! The only way you get me out if there's a good few thousand birds there and a force 10 gale

I'm new to all this so have a couple of beginners Full Moon / Duck related questions

- Don't Ducks flight inland in the evening, so won't they just stay put, feeding inland throughout the night of a Full Moon?

- If they have moved inland, will a High Tide during the night have no relevance?

Thanks.

ducks can feed inland at any time, they can also roost all day there. they can also use the marsh to feed though they still need acess to fresh water at some stage. if they are already well inland obviously the tide has no impact. I have seen geese sit on the tide edge and not move off to feed all night on a good bright moon and i have seen no duck be on the marsh at normal evening flight on a dark moon, that the thing with wildfowling its rarely a sure thing

I am 100% with arnser. I have spent more hours than I care to think about sitting under the big cheese looking at a blank sky