Starter gun for younger brother

Gibbybox

Alright folks!

I've convinced the 'rents that since I'm in the process of applying for my SGC and FAC it would be good for my 15 year old brother to be able to get outside in the fresh air and join in. With Christmas just round the corner it's all too easy for mum to buy the latest Xbox games and him to be over the moon on Christmas morning, only for her to complain about him being glued to it all the time!

Can you recommend a budget/starter air rifle on a budget of £150, less if possible? I'm thinking a second hand break barrel of decent quality...

It doesn't have to be super hi-tech or powerful, more for target shooting and possibly shooting pigeons inside our farm sheds.

Cheers,

Gibby

If you intend to use the gun for pest control then it needs to be powerfull enough to kill cleanly and obviousley accurate enough to put the pellet in the right place.Chances are that you will need a scoped gun so your budget is going to be tight-I think that a new gun of any quality is a bridge too far. A quick look on guntrader does'nt reveal a plethora of possibilities but if it were my money I would enquire about the condition of the Annie 335 and then shop around for a used scope or look at the older (english built ) BSA Meteors.

Is it possible to just buy an air rifle online and have it delivered given that you don't need a license to own them?

Would you recommend .22 or .17 calibre?

Also, what is the lowest muzzle velocity you would say is required for killing pigeons within say 30 yards?

Thanks for the help so far!

Is it possible to just buy an air rifle online and have it delivered given that you don't need a license to own them?

Would you recommend .22 or .17 calibre?

Also, what is the lowest muzzle velocity you would say is required for killing pigeons within say 30 yards?

Thanks for the help so far!

yes you can buy online and have it delivered if you are buying from a private seller .... if buying from trade you have to collect in person or sent to a dealer near you and then collect it :good:

calibre is a personal choice to be honest

Pretty good ideas above ,bsa supersport would be my choice.full power ,accurate,changed little in over 20 years.I find .22 less recoiling.but 177 faster fps,love rws leads.and very light and easy to handle for younger shooters.prefer brum made pree gamo Spanish .but then nothing wrong with gamo magnum 3000.as good as.

Ok folks after searching around there is little in the way of quality HW99s and HW95s within my budget. However, I have came across two second hand guns which claim to only have fired under 100 rounds. They are the Stoeger X20 Suppressor .177 and the Hatsan Arms 85X .22

I'm leaning towards the Hatsan as I like the look of it, they are both £140 so around £155 with postage hopefully.

Which would you go for out of the two?

Cheers, Gibby

No, no, no, Hatsan 55 (.177) or 60 (.22) S TG, They are brilliant guns and are available new for under £100. Walnut stocked, German barreled, genuine 2 stage trigger! New under £100, they are a great starter gun, they are also sold as the Webley Stingray mark 2, for twice the money!

Wilbur.jpg

They also look nice!

Whereabouts in the country are you?

(No mine is not for sale!)

Edited by secretagentmole

That does look like a good shout! I had looked at a Webley Stingray Mk2 as well, same gun, different name I presume? I live about 30 minutes south-west of Edinburgh, the main problem with buying new is finding a shop nearby! I was just about to go for the Hatsan 85X but if I can get the 55 or 60 for less than £100 that would be tremendous! Is it powerful enough to kill pigeons cleanly? Thanks

No, no, no, Hatsan 55 (.177) or 60 (.22) S TG, They are brilliant guns and are available new for under £100. Walnut stocked, German barreled, genuine 2 stage trigger! New under £100, they are a great starter gun, they are also sold as the Webley Stingray mark 2, for twice the money!

Wilbur.jpg

They also look nice!

Whereabouts in the country are you?

(No mine is not for sale!)

your so right SAM,this model is the best rifle within the given price bracket out there on the market today,you will not get a rifle built to this spec for the money anywhere....also my opinion.

Erm can't do it for under £100 in your neck of the woods, but how about £120?

Have a look here....

http://www.airgundea...ERS-HATSAN.html

Is that too far from you?

They also sell the Stingray mark 2, have a look at it closely, the safety catch is in a different place, but notice all the familiar things, anti bear trap, shock absorber system, same spring, barrel, trigger and both made in Turkey by Hatsan...

3-9x40mm is ideal for one of these, that is the mag of the Hawke sitting on mine!

I fo have a 4-16x50mm Nite Eye on my Theoben Sirocco, but that is only because we had it as a spare scope and I was too tight fisted to go out and buy another! A 3-9x40 is a very good scope (I have the non AO HD Sport on my Hatsan)!