THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING A LITTLE RUNABOUT

four-wheel-drive

After having yet more problems with my Jeep I have been thinking that when I get it back I may put it on sorn and get a cheap runabout to use while I decide what to do with the jeep.

I do not want to part with it really as it dose everything that I want and I would not get much for it if I sold it not that it is in bad condition as its not but big 4ltr motors are not selling.

I have about £1200 to spend I was thinking about a 1.3 ford fiesta or something like that a friend has a rover 25 and loves it.

My circumstances changed last year, and the need for a big powerful and thirsty car was reduced, i have a Fiesta which takes me from A to B (kids to school, back a for to work etc) the only slight problem i have is when a mate and i go fishing, but thats overcome by putting the back seat down. Anyway back to car, insurance cheaper, and fuel bill less.

I've had 3 Fiestas in my life and as "run arounds" i've been very pleased!

Tight Lines

Aled

Fords are always a safe bet I think the fiesta is a good little motor, try and get the 1.25 petrol engine as they are quite a nippy little thing. Alternatively for that money you could look at the 1.8 diesel focus its that bit bigger but very good on fuel. I also had an old 1.2 renault clio as my firs car that i loved as was a fun little thing to drive I never got close to 50 mpg as spent too much time being a boy racer.

There are some cheap cars about just watch out for junk with dodgy history1.2 corsa fiesta are reasonable 5 door are quite spacious and seats down gets loads in 25 are 1.4 upwards and old tech even in later models cheap tax and insurance and minor parts brakes, tyres etc petrol cheaper to buy and service just watch out ones due a big service cambelt etc having spent a lot of time recently in a 1.3cdti corsa 08 it's ok but handling and power leave a lot to be desired 500 miles on £55 of fuel

Depends on how little you want. My mate just bought a mint 2003 Vectra 2.0TDI with only 50k on the clock & full history. Even has a tow bar on it. For £1400. He`s over the moon with it, getting 54mpg on his drive into work. Ive just given it a service (£50 for bits) and new brake pads (£14) and so cheap to maintain.

Id steer clear of fiestas. I know 3 people who have had the 1.25 one and all of them have had gearbox problems.

Well I did it I got a 2001 Rover 25. five door 1.4 petrol seems to be in good rust free condition its done just over 100k so the head gasket and cam belt should have been done and for just £750 I am happy I just keep my fingers crossed now.

I have just got to see what is going to happen with my Jeep I told the chap in the garage that if he can not fix it without costing to much I will scrap it I love that thing but I will not throw any more money at it so only time will tell now.

1999 1.25 zetec fiesta shoud set you back about £500-£600 and parts are a dime a dozen if you ever need them. Check the sills if it looks like its mis-treated as fords can rot into nothing if they are left too, Only major thing to check or worry about is to check that the gear box is dry underneath as the clutch slave cylinder is located inside the gearbox and will leak out the bottom. (thats how you'll know if its gone) If topped up with fluid it will drive as normal but will fail at some stage leaving you with a gearbox to be took out. All in all it's no big job but something you may wanna check out for, apart from that I love them :)

Brake pads = £12

cheap tyres

easy on fuel

reliable

cheap parts

cheap tax

Well I did it I got a 2001 Rover 25. five door 1.4 petrol seems to be in good rust free condition its done just over 100k so the head gasket and cam belt should have been done and for just £750 I am happy I just keep my fingers crossed now.

I have just got to see what is going to happen with my Jeep I told the chap in the garage that if he can not fix it without costing to much I will scrap it I love that thing but I will not throw any more money at it so only time will tell now.

oooops should have refreshed the page before my post, goodluck with your motor mate.

Ok the Rover may not be that sexy but when you live in a country area and do not want to go miles to the nearest large towns where most car sales places are then you are somewhat limited to what is available.

I like to buy from a local garage so that I can take it back if something goes wrong apart from that I am to old to care what it looks like as long as it gets me about that is all that matters having said that I am pleased with it but it would be nice if I could get my Jeep going again as I have the another car I would not need to worry about it not starting etc.

Edited by four-wheel-drive