Help!!!

sussex lad

Right guys i am down to the last few in my quest for a new scope.

I have manged to look at all of the below(quite an eyeopener, my first real look at quality glass)

The list is down to

Swarovski PV 4-16 x 50 P

Schmidt +Bender Precision Hunter 4-16 x 50

Zeiss 6.5 - 20 x 50 Conquest

Nightforce NSX 5.5 -22 x 56

While i have my own opinions of the above what i am looking for is any practical experience of the scopes

I think you might be surprised at my favorite :D !!

I'll say no more until things get going with your replies :P

zeiss conquest are not in my opinion up to the standard of the old models, and although they are good they are not on par with your other 3 choices.

Swaro's are better on eye relief, schmidts seem more sturdy and the nightforce i have little experiance with.

I would go nightforce out of those, simply on reputation, although the swaro would be a close 2nd.

BTW its a gun/rifle/tool not a weapon, weapons are for hurting people.

I have used a Swaro 2.5 - 10 x 56 on a Remmy 700 Varmint 22-250 and Sako 0.223 for some years.

The light pick-up at night is excellent. However, if I was going to use the scope during the daytime I would go for a higher mag. The max range that I go to is less than 200 yards, as where I shoot is mostly hilly - the last two foxes that I shot a couple of weeks ago were 25 yards and 70 yards!

I have also used a Zeis 4-12 x 50, and that was good too.

S & B's have a good reputation......

Not tried a Nightforce at all.

Don

SL

That rifle looks like a source of entertainment as well as dispatching the odd fox ............Cross air would be my focal point if thats the case and a high mag for long range target .Which rules out everything but the NF but in the 8 x 32 x 56 .........I think thats the one :D

For a dedicated hunting set up it'd have to be the Smidt imo

Thanks for your replys guys :D

Here's what i thought of the scopes

Swaro

The best image out of all :P:P

Surprised at the size of the scope quite compact ,loved the ring for turning up the mag with the raised bit on it.

S&B

Probably the most robust feeling scope out of all, again great image but the cross hairs seemed quite thick.

Zeiss

This fits almost exactly what i was looking for good image, fine cross hairs ,good magnification but didn't quite feel as good quality as the above.

NF

Great image not sure if its quite as good as the Swaro, loved the reticule ,good magnification and would look great on the AR :D , but here's the big but! hated and i mean hated the way the whole eye-bell rotates to increase mag couldn't put any Butler Creeks on the back end! could get over it but it just took the edge a great scope IMHO.

Which one are you going for mate? :D

Frank.

Dont know yet :good: :o

Think its between the NF and the S&B........Going to have to have another look at all of them i think ,dont want to get this wrong :drinks:

Are you looking at FA Andersons SL?

They had a load of S&B's 3-12 x50's in at £595 a short while back, which may swing the deal if they still have any left.

I have several S&B scopes. This might be worth considering if you aim to shoot long range. The standard S&B and Sworo scopes have no exposed elevation and windage turrets so fast adjustment is not practical, the S&B precision hunter has elevation only and it is not untill you get into the PM11 range that you get both. The NF has it all, but they are big and heavy and have a narrow field of view compared with the others. The Leupold eye relief is critical and for me it takes to much time to find the perfect position but the MK4 has excellent turrets with a massive adjustment range, not sure about the Zeiss never had one.

SF

Hmmm it's tough one especially with the amount of dosh at stake.

As Fister has said the Schmidt and Swaro are more hunters with nice thick reticles, but as a result they obscure small targets at long ranges and cover small targets on the range.

Could be time for a compromise - or 2 scopes :drinks:

Hmmm it's tough one especially with the amount of dosh at stake.

Could be time for a compromise - or 2 scopes :good:

You don't have to tell me m8 :)

No rush at the moment :D

Got other things on my mind ,the littleuns coming out tomorrow :o :o :/

So once things have settled down i will think again :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...